300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addicts

Just looking for any advice from anyone who has dealt with this issue. No one at my work knows about it because I try and keep family stuff private but I am looking for advice from other officers. Two years ago my family and I found out that my brother was addicted to pills. He was sober for a year but then relapsed. He has been sober again for 4 months. Since then, I have been having a really, really hard time going to these drug OD calls. I can handle the call when I am there but after I clear I have a little breakdown, cry and can't stop thinking about it for the rest of my shift. I work in an area where we go to ODs fairly regularly but I do have time in between calls to try and pull it together. I don't want to tell anyone at my work what is going on because it is embarrassing and I feel like if I did, every time I mentioned my brother, they would think of him as a druggie. He is a good person, he's always worked, he's not a thief, just an addict. My family is very close, very supportive. I just breaks my heart seeing these ODs where the people don't necessarily have the support from their family that we have given my brother. Also, seeing the support my brother has had and yet he still had a relapse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to cope with this better. Thanks.

Maybe look around in your area for programs he can attend? It could help to have someone who is versed in such topics for him to talk with. I know some places have diversion programs but since he isn't getting in trouble that is probably out. If your area is being hit hard I'm sure out patient programs are available. Best of luck to your brother. I've seen people get over this. It's completely do-able. Best of luck.

Edit.
    *Sorry. Didn't read that you were looking for advice only from officers*
    Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 03-04-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Its okay if you dont wanna talk about family stuff at work BUT it sounds like you do need to talk to someone about it. In our career field its easy to just think “I can handle it, Im fine” or “I get calls like that all the time, no big deal”.

Reality is...it is a big deal. This job will destroy you psychologically if you dont grasp it early. Just like an addiction can be hard to break after a long time.

Im glad your brother has you and your family that care and are willing to help him and support him.

My advice to you is that you find someone you can talk to. And yes I mean a therapist. He/she will help you with those feelings or “breakdowns” you have at work and towards your brother.

We like to, in this job, emphasize on physical heath but we need to pay just as much attention to our mental health.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

*not a cop...yet*

Does your agency offer any employee assistance programs - like a few visits to a therapist per year? I know it sounds corny, but having someone to talk to, outside of a bunch of dudes on the internet with nothing better to do, could at least help you clear your mind.

In my area, we have dozens of resources for addicts who suffer from all levels of dependency. I am not sure where you are located, but I bet your community outreach guys could point you in the right direction. Maybe even a counselor at your local hospital, or a homeless outreach nonprofit (since the two issues are often closely linked)?

Best of luck
        REINSTATE THE TRIG
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        Your logic defies logic
        Originally posted by Rudy8116
        Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
        Originally posted by Michigan
        Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
        Originally posted by TheTick
        A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
        Originally posted by TheTick
        This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
        Originally posted by 02paul09
        Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

Originally posted by Ash-A-Lee View Post
          Just looking for any advice from anyone who has dealt with this issue. No one at my work knows about it because I try and keep family stuff private but I am looking for advice from other officers. Two years ago my family and I found out that my brother was addicted to pills. He was sober for a year but then relapsed. He has been sober again for 4 months. Since then, I have been having a really, really hard time going to these drug OD calls. I can handle the call when I am there but after I clear I have a little breakdown, cry and can't stop thinking about it for the rest of my shift. I work in an area where we go to ODs fairly regularly but I do have time in between calls to try and pull it together. I don't want to tell anyone at my work what is going on because it is embarrassing and I feel like if I did, every time I mentioned my brother, they would think of him as a druggie. He is a good person, he's always worked, he's not a thief, just an addict. My family is very close, very supportive. I just breaks my heart seeing these ODs where the people don't necessarily have the support from their family that we have given my brother. Also, seeing the support my brother has had and yet he still had a relapse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to cope with this better. Thanks.
          I extend my hopes that your brother can find his way out of his addiction. It will be a lifelong struggle for him, as it is for all addicts. My concern is for you. The emotional responses you are experiencing are indicative of a deeper psychological issue. IMO it sounds like you should look at finding a therapist/psychologist to spend some time with and work through the proper handling of your stressors.

1) It sounds like it could be straight forward and just too much stress regarding your familial issues and the reality of, and link to, the OD's you are dealing with at work. There could also be additional issues that you haven't recognized, yet. If your as emotionally broken up that you're crying or close to doing so after these calls it indicates to me that your issues need professional guidance.

2) Our fellow brother and sister officers are part of our larger LE community/family and they can be a wonderful support structure. They can be used for many things to assist us through our career and life journey but I DO NOT recommend them to take the place of professional therapy when it is warranted. This is for many, many reasons. Mainly though they are just NOT qualified for it no matter their good intentions.

3) Lastly, I don't want to sound callous or cold but your post centered a lot on your brother and how he effects his family. Make sure your number one concern is for yourself. He will succeed or not but you MUST succeed for you. You are the most important person in your life and you should always treat yourself like that.

Be well, stay safe, and good luck.
          Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
          “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
          “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
          "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
          ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

My brother spent 9 months in rehab for opiates/heroin. So far he's done ok. Back to work. (he has a degree and is working in his field0. I can't stress enough to talk to an independent therapist. Some of my co workers are less than sympathetic toward addicts to put it mildly. I don't trust employee assistance. The therapist has helped.
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

The job is hard enough. I think that the overwhelming opinion here is that you need to talk to someone. Pastor, priest, shrink, or someone else that you can trust outside the job then just do it. We don't need another officer that has taken too much upon their shoulders and let it break them. From someone on the outside the answer seems obvious but, I am sure that being in your shoes it is a great deal to handle.

Your brothers and sisters in blue are behind you, the next step is yours.
              Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Wow. I really appreciate everyone's advice. All of the responses have made me feel like it is okay to get some sort of professional help for this. I will be finding someone to talk to. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Wow. I really appreciate everyone's advice. All of the responses have made me feel like it is okay to get some sort of professional help for this. I will be finding someone to talk to. Thanks again everyone.
                  What do you think we are doing. That will be $120. Sorry, we don't accept insurance.
                  Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Beats the heck out of drowning your sorrows (like a lot of our colleagues do unfortunately.) I envy those that have the luxury of not having watched addiction invade their family.
                    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12467 users online. 510 members and 11957 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X