300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Now, My 12-Year-Old Yellow Lab - What a Week

Well, just as I was getting back to normal after losing dad, my 12-year-old lab, Jed, had to be put down an hour ago, when the doc found a huge tumor in his chest. He'd been panting for a week straight, having bling spells and deaf spells and secluding himslef from the family. It was his time.

It's almost worse than dad. He was the biggest, smartest, coolest, strongest, happiest, easiest dog I ever had. Got him at 6 months old.

Man, what a week. What a lousy week.
    Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 04-02-2007, 06:06 PM.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Crap when it rains it pours!

Sorry for your loss. Here's to a better tomorrow! Dx2
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Troop
      Very sorry for all your pain.

The difference here is that you should get another ASAP. Helps the healing bigtime.

Been through it a half dozen times and now have transitioned to having two or three canine buddies at all times.

Best love money can buy.
      Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
      Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Hey Troop, My sincerest condolances for the loss of your best buddy. My 11 year old rotty had to be put down last year from cancerous tumors as well and the pain is still very real. I raised her from a pup. She lived life as my first SAR dog with a slug in her rear hip and never skipped a beat in life. I took her overseas to Germany to see her homeland while we were stationed there. My family thought I was nuts when I had her cremated. There are pictures of her all over my house. My dogs are my life but she was the best. I would like to share a poem with you that my buddy gave me when I lost my best lil partner. God bless you buddy!

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When and animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends, so they can run and play together.

All animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing- they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.

His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver...........Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the greeen grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life-but never absent from your heart.

Then-you cross Rainbow Bridge together........
        Take Care Troop......Sorry for your loss
        "That boys cheese dun slid off his cracker!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Geezer
          Troop
          Very sorry for all your pain.

Best love money can buy.
          I absolutely agree. I dont know what i'd do without my "baby."

I'm sorry for your loss. Here's another nice poem.

I STOOD BESIDE YOUR BED LAST NIGHT

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
          I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
          "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
          You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
          I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
          I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
          I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "It's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
          I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
          To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew ...
          in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
          and say "Goodnight, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
          I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
          Be patient, live your journey out ... then come home to be with me.

Author Unknown

Comment

Sorry to hear about your most recent loss. It certainly does seem like you've had quite a few things piled up on you lately. Hang in there.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Trooper.

Comment

You have my condolences. I have a 6 year old german shepherd and can't imagine ever losing. I know he will die long before I will and it pains me. He's one friend who has never betrayed me and always been around when I was sad. Man's best friend indeed.
                -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Originally posted by djack16
                  You have my condolences. I have a 6 year old german shepherd and can't imagine ever losing. I know he will die long before I will and it pains me. He's one friend who has never betrayed me and always been around when I was sad. Man's best friend indeed.

DJ, I know what you mean. My dog is 12 yoa and I thought we I left last year, I would never get to see him. Well he is still going. Dad and I had the talk about if I wanted to go with him. Well Troop, I hope everything turns out to be good here very soon. Get another dog, don't be shy about that.

Comment

Sorry to hear that...
                    summer - winter - work

Comment

Sorry to hear that 1042
                      If your not first, your last!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzPup

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When and animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends, so they can run and play together.

All animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing- they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.

His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver...........Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the greeen grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life-but never absent from your heart.

Then-you cross Rainbow Bridge together........
                        Take Care Troop......Sorry for your loss
                        *he swallows the football in his throat* This was a tough read. Thank you.
                        The All New
                        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

C'mon, guys, you're killin' me here! Pass the friggin Kleenex. Nothing more unbecoming than a big, fat, retired cop sobbing like a schoolchild.

Thank you all. I really missed him this morning. He was always the first thing I stepped on, before the spiked chewy toys left in the dark living room by the other two pups. They are both labs too and really snuggled on me yesterday - they knew something was up.

Friggin dogs. Why do we do this to ourselves?
                          The All New
                          - M1Garand

Comment

I'm delighted to know you have two more to fall back on. Takes a load off my mind.
                            Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                            Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Hey Troop, I am very sorry to hear the news. Just remember that Rainbow Bridge story. Right before my grandmother died she told me that she had seen her husband (Grandpa) and their dog Rex waiting for her. After seeing that she knew it was her time and she was ready.
                              U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                              Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3038 users online. 142 members and 2896 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X