Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Joke?
    No not at all. Op is newer at the job, so he shouldn't be rubbing people the wrong way. Secondly and more importantly its dangerous. That being said im not on any job related to L.E but I can definitely say its not safe. Take my comment however you would like but it has op's well being in mind. Couches are for naps...work is for being awake.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigsnapple View Post

No not at all. Op is newer at the job, so he shouldn't be rubbing people the wrong way. Secondly and more importantly its dangerous. That being said im not on any job related to L.E but I can definitely say its not safe. Take my comment however you would like but it has op's well being in mind. Couches are for naps...work is for being awake.
      I asked if you were joking because I couldn't tell if you were trying to be funny or you misunderstood the OP's post.

It is now apparent that you misunderstood his post...so allow me to clarify: What Shorty was saying is that when you work nights you can take a nap AFTER WORK and still be able to do stuff during part of the day (before returning to work that night). He did NOT mean to say that he's taking naps at work. Anybody who has ever worked night shift would realize how his post was meant.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

I asked if you were joking because I couldn't tell if you were trying to be funny or you misunderstood the OP's post.

It is now apparent that you misunderstood his post...so allow me to clarify: What Shorty was saying is that when you work nights you can take a nap AFTER WORK and still be able to do stuff during part of the day (before returning to work that night). He did NOT mean to say that he's taking naps at work. Anybody who has ever worked night shift would realize what his post meant.
        Well I hope not!haha...thanks for clarifying

Comment

It's no fun, that's for sure. But you will miss numerous holidays, birthdays, anniversaries etc. The best thing to do is "embrace the suck" with your coworkers and let the family enjoy the day as best they can. Try and set up a separate day(s) for just you guys to enjoy.

Comment

Happy Thanksgivingto you, shortyj,...and to everybody else who has to spend the holiday away from their loved ones!

Make the best of it, keep your loved ones in your thoughts, and stay safe everyone!

Comment

Nothing like running warrants on Thanksgiving day! Nearly halfway done with my first shift. One more to go! :-)
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Don’t be selfish, and get used to the life of missing holidays and special occasions.

I’ve made a habit of volunteering to work holidays so guys with wives and kids can enjoy the day. It’s not required, but it’s a nice gesture that shows senior guys that you aren’t a typical punk rookie.

I worked 16 hours on Thanksgiving. That covered most of my Christmas shopping.

Make the best of it and soon enough you’ll be senior enough to get the time off. In order to get that, you have to put the time in.

Comment

Originally posted by BP3 View Post
                  Don’t be selfish, and get used to the life of missing holidays and special occasions.

I’ve made a habit of volunteering to work holidays so guys with wives and kids can enjoy the day. It’s not required, but it’s a nice gesture that shows senior guys that you aren’t a typical punk rookie.

I worked 16 hours on Thanksgiving. That covered most of my Christmas shopping.

Make the best of it and soon enough you’ll be senior enough to get the time off. In order to get that, you have to put the time in.
                  I pulled a double so one of the junior guys got Thanksgiving off with his wife and newborn. I enjoyed working on Thanksgiving. Everyone seemed so much more cooperative than usual. :-)
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Working holidays never really bothered me. If you’re not able to be there the day of the holiday or occasion the customary solution is to celebrate close to that day, either before or after. Ask any parent who has been divorced about it.

Besides, you get all the fun calls on holidays. That’s when the families get together, drink too much and fight.

Comment

Some people get really hung up on how things "have to be."

As long as you can celebrate the holiday with your family sometime fairly close to the actual holiday you're good. The problem is when the significant other has a fixed idea of how things "have to be" and isn't flexible or understanding about your schedule

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff22 View Post
                        Some people get really hung up on how things "have to be."

As long as you can celebrate the holiday with your family sometime fairly close to the actual holiday you're good. The problem is when the significant other has a fixed idea of how things "have to be" and isn't flexible or understanding about your schedule
                        This is so very true, it's how I have done it. Funny how now that I am in CID I have the holidays off, but my wife usually doesn't....we make it work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6920 users online. 262 members and 6658 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X