Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 months a go Trump won and the NYPD has to provide around the clock officers for Trump tower. Massive drain on manpower even in a 30000 man dept.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...n-on-resources

Comment

Originally posted by BringTheVicBack View Post
      Does anyone really think that someone with two kids is going to be 'Forced' to work 7 seven days a week for an extended period of time in lieu of a catastrophic event and being called in? T
      a good number of years ago one of the rookies I worked with was ordered in on his days off ALL SUMMER ----yes for four months.

He got caught in a hiring freeze and was low man for the entire summer..................there was so much OT that year that between no one else wanting it & him being forced-------------he was there!

YEP it can happen

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
      He has worked 7 days straight for 5 months? I am pretty sure that violates some kinda labor law, absent a major emergency.

While being forced to take overtime pay as added days off instead of cash is also a labor law violation and a form of wage theft IT is totally common in this business. Every city, county, state payroll manager would prefer alternatives to paying you money.
      It all depends on how the labor contract is written

It is perfectly legal to force OT as well as to mandate HOW that OT is "paid out" as long as they are undera labor contract that allows it
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-13-2017, 10:06 AM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

What I meant was if I got caught with a side piece, I wouldn't be able to afford a happy meal.

Its cheaper to keep her. That's what the old timers say.
        I'm coming up on 3 years left on the job. A divorce now would devastate any hope I had of retiring on time and comfortably. It's the difference between eating steaks and eating ramen every meal....
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          It all depends on how the labor contract is written

It is perfectly legal to force OT as well as to mandate HOW that OT is "paid out" as long as they are undera labor contract that allows it
          Years ago, our jailers were part of our deputy union. When the new jail was built (and the jailers went from 12 total to 55 total), they split off to form their own local. As they were building their first contract, some of the jailers wanted to eliminate the mandatory rest periods from the contract. Mostly because the many young jailers wanted to work as much OT as possible plus I think the county offered them something in exchange. I strongly advised them against it but in the end, they ratified without the rest period language.

Fast forward fifteen years, and now they're understaffed and being forced constantly to cover all extra vacation time that the now many senior jailers have accumulated. The new staff gets ordered to OT on pretty all their days off. That leads to a lot of new staff becoming former staff and senior staff having to eat a lot of forced OT.

Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

To confused (the OP)-

From my early years, I can remember working a lot of OT with three little babies and a wife in college. She would be concerned at times as well, and if there were "forums" back in the mid 90's to ask this, and she had read some of the responses, she would probably be physically sick with the idea that I was cheating, so take a deep breath and take in the big picture.

My best determining question would be: Does he act like he wants to be with you (although tired) when he is home?

Also, my first thought was Trump Tower and the drain on NYPD manpower, not cheating as others have alluded to.
            However, with a little fact-checking, and woman's intuition, you will know if it is the latter.

These early years can be tough on a family, and LE can become an obsession to a lot of rookies- wanting to be involved in everything LE related.

I hope for the best for you and your family. Life can be hard enough- you need that rock that is faith and a strong family.
            SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
            SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2015, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $400 to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

NYPD can not force you to take overtime in time, all ordered OT is what you choose it to be. Working 7 days a week for 5 moths straight? you're either exaggerating or as others have stated, might be other issues.
              And no, it's not that hard to get time off in the NYPD regardless of seniority, or lack thereof, as long you have reasonable expectations.

Comment

Sorry for the late post.

getting time off can depend a lot on the unit and who is the commanding officer.

i know of a few CO s who do not give time off unless it's the contractual annual vacation or a real emergency. It's a management tool with them where they will give time off to their favorites or guys who come in with the activity they want.

As a rookie, your husband hasn't proven his value to him yet. The veteran cop who brings in good activity is going to get the day off before the rookie. There are minimum manning concerns as well. Someone has to work even if it's a holiday.

It gets better as CO's change and as your husbands seniority increases.

Comment

Um... no. You can't be required to work every day for months at a time. See...there's a thing called:FLSA, among others. The ONLY exception to that is a declared emergency, and even that expires. And that's not up to a boss, that's a CITY/STATE deal.

Comment

Yes, they can force us to work everyday as long as they pay the overtime. I am also sure "everyday " is an exaggeration but can be close to the truth if he works an odd tour and his time off is used to get some sleep.

Trust me, it gets better but the first few years are rough. There is a reason for the high divorce rate.

All the wives complain about this aspect of the job and a lot of my stress is dealing with her and balancing her expectations of what I can do when I get home. Between shift changes, rotating days off, or change of tour( shift hours) because of court or some event detail, I am often too tired to think let alone do something. And I have it good compared to a lot of guys. Personally I do 11 hour days if you include my commute. That's not including the 40 hours of cash overtime I do every month. My wife accused me of "lying" to her when we met because when I had a good assignment with steady days and hours. But things change and so did my assignment. Too late she was love with me when it changed. She dealt with it and we adjusted.

Her husband will have it worse in the beginning if he is in a rookie impact unit with the scooter chart( one week of days then one week of 4x12s. And only 10 days vacation for the first few years

Give it it a little time until a rhythm can be established and he gets time on the job, he will get more seniority rights and maybe get to a good position where the hours and days off are better.

Hang in there

Comment

Can you say "Beat Wife"?
                      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                        Do you nag him alot? Complain about everything? Do you whine about him being gone all the time, while simultaneously swiping his credit card? Does he have a girlfriend?

These are all common reasons why guys hide out at work. Might not have anything at all to do with the job itself.
                        This guy knows. The struggle is real.
                        Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                        Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Wow, this thread is strong with blue falcons.
                          Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                          Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post

That is what they say. (I guess why all the overtime - she is going to get it all anyway)

I heard stories of the ladies that would look for a certain officer that used to take them out and treat them to Happy Meals and you would have thought they just got fitted for the glass slipper at the Cinderella Ball.
                            Gotta point me in the right direction. That's the kind of action I gotta find! :-D
                            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post

Gotta point me in the right direction. That's the kind of action I gotta find! :-D
                              Its all good until they turn on the "ugly lights" at 2 am. CLOSING TIME!!!

Comment

That's why you always use an alias...

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12325 users online. 528 members and 11797 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X