300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come NYPD doesn't give days off?

So my husband has graduated from the academy a little over a year now. Everything was great up until 5 months ago when all of a sudden he is working 7 days straight ever since. We have 2 small children who miss their father. When is this supposed to stop and he starts getting his RDO again?

Do you nag him alot? Complain about everything? Do you whine about him being gone all the time, while simultaneously swiping his credit card? Does he have a girlfriend?

These are all common reasons why guys hide out at work. Might not have anything at all to do with the job itself.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

They tend to use rookies for ordered OT a lot. A rookies hourly rate is a lot lower than a veteran. Rookies also tend to follow orders to the letter as opposed to a cagey veteran.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
        Do you nag him alot? Complain about everything? Do you whine about him being gone all the time, while simultaneously swiping his credit card? Does he have a girlfriend?

These are all common reasons why guys hide out at work. Might not have anything at all to do with the job itself.

Is that what happened to you? Did your partner start doing these things to you? Sorry to hear that.

How come NYPD doesn't give days off?

Today, 09:48 AM
        So my husband has graduated from the academy a little over a year now. Everything was great up until 5 months ago when all of a sudden he is working 7 days straight ever since. We have 2 small children who miss their father. When is this supposed to stop and he starts getting his RDO again?

Not being from New York but BNWS's explanation seems more feasible. I know a lot of departments that sometimes just force certain people based on assignment or hire date to work the most overtime and the worst details. It also has been a very busy Political year and that may explain a lot of the extra over time. Just make sure you put that extra pay to good use for yourselves and invest wisely for your family's future. There may come a day when Overtime may be hard to get and missed or an unexpected event such as an injury or some BS investigation hits you in the pockets. So make good use of the overtime while he gets it. I am sure he would rather spend time with the family but it is a new job and he should probably soak up as much experience and overtime as he can. It can be tough for the family to deal with and understand but this is part of what life is going to be like. There will be missed holidays or school plays and you have to find a way to accept those things that come with this line of work. Best wishes!

Comment

The first thing that came to mind when I read you post is, is he really working that much overtime, or do the two of you have a crappy marriage and he's just hiding from you by using overtime assignments as an excuse to stay out of the house?

Have you seen his overtime checks? Do they match the hours worked? (If you check, be discreet about it. No point is needlessly causing a fight if he really is working that much OT.)

If the money is there, follow Bayside's advice, sock it away and start building your savings now. There will come a time when you need it. Better to have it then than to splurge it now.

There is a book you should read called I love a cop. It is for families of cops and explains how best to deal with all the problems a cop's job poses for them.

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Cop-Revi.../dp/159385353X

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Before I was seeing the checks. Now i am being told they are not allowed to take them in cash but to bank it in time. I do not know why he would avoid coming to the house and not seeing his children if he was not working all of this stuff

Comment

Does anyone know what the cap is on bankable OT in NYPD? Do the accumulated hours show on a check stub?
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post

Is that what happened to you? Did your partner start doing these things to you? Sorry to hear That.
                Yea. No side piece though, sounds too stressful, and extremely expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by Confused007 View Post
                  Before I was seeing the checks. Now i am being told they are not allowed to take them in cash but to bank it in time. I do not know why he would avoid coming to the house and not seeing his children if he was not working all of this stuff
                  He cannot be forced to take his overtime in time. If he is being forced he can file a grievance.

The accumulated hours are listed on the pay stub.

Comment

Yea. No side piece though, sounds too stressful, and extremely expensive!
                    That depends on the side piece. Some will be a side piece for a Happy Meal.

Comment

I'm not Dr. Phil but I would venture to say your husband and you have obvious signs of marital problems. Working 7 days a week huh? Does anyone really think that someone with two kids is going to be 'Forced' to work 7 seven days a week for an extended period of time in lieu of a catastrophic event and being called in? That I would answer sometimes but not often unless you of course volunteer. This is clearly a sign of a husband trying to get away from his nagging wife whom has complained so much so that she even came to an online forum for us to somehow figure why he might be working these odd hours. Mam I don't mean to be a jerk but lets be real you already know the answer. I'm a young feller who isn't married but I work around a lot of officers whom are. They constantly complain about their ladies nagging and whining about every minuscule thing, some warranted and some not. No marriage is perfect but one that has a husband gone '7 days a week' should be looked more closely at under a microscope. Good luck.
                      Last edited by BringTheVicBack; 03-12-2017, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Do you work too? Do you have a lot of bills? Do you guys worry about money? When I first started at the sheriff's department, I worked every hour of OT that I could. Why? Because my wife stayed home with the kids and we were down to 1 income. She nagged all the time that I wasn't home for this or that, but what could I do?? Bills had to get paid. If the hours aren't showing up in his time bank on his pay stub and his check stays the same, then I might start asking some questions. Might want to come up with a good excuse to see his pay stub if the OT isn't showing up as cash.
                        Originally posted by RSGSRT
                        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post

That depends on the side piece. Some will be a side piece for a Happy Meal.
                          What I meant was if I got caught with a side piece, I wouldn't be able to afford a happy meal.

Its cheaper to keep her. That's what the old timers say.

Comment

What I meant was if I got caught with a side piece, I wouldn't be able to afford a happy meal.

Its cheaper to keep her. That's what the old timers say.
                            That is what they say. (I guess why all the overtime - she is going to get it all anyway)

I heard stories of the ladies that would look for a certain officer that used to take them out and treat them to Happy Meals and you would have thought they just got fitted for the glass slipper at the Cinderella Ball.

Comment

He has worked 7 days straight for 5 months? I am pretty sure that violates some kinda labor law, absent a major emergency.

While being forced to take overtime pay as added days off instead of cash is also a labor law violation and a form of wage theft IT is totally common in this business. Every city, county, state payroll manager would prefer alternatives to paying you money.

Have you asked other spouses from his academy academy class or friends you might have made to see if they are in the same boat?
                              semper destravit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5694 users online. 399 members and 5295 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X