300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Matter??

I was approved today for the first phase in the Sheriffs Office in my county. I was SO Excited...... My parents.. are not. The do not want me to do this. They want me to be a full time body man/ Painter in my town. I went to college for collision repair and i found myself at the Department two months after graduating. I want to be hired as a LEO and get on the road ASAP. No one even wants to share in me geting my foot in the door.. The next packet requires info that my mom need to help me find and she doesnt want to help.. HOW SAD IS THAT.. Anyone else go through this??? Will they give up?? Even my girlfriend whom i live with is like...." Yea, thats cool, i guess...." Just hurts my feelings.. I AM STILL GOING THRU WITH IT!
    X8

I"m in a divorce primarily because of getting through the academy. Hang in there....its a mind game.
    An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

No matter what anyone tells you. No matter who looks down on you....you go do what you gotta do. Don't let anyone or anything get in the way of you acheiving your goals or dreams.

This is your life. Nobody else is going to live it for you other then yourself. So don't let anyone else make decisions for you but yourself.

There are no parents who can win over their children. If this is something you really want to do, they will give in to your desire of wanting to be in LE. Prove themself wrong that you are a responsible person. And once you've become a LEO, do your job with passion, they will see you happy and they will be happy.

As far as friends and girlfriends or whatever...if they have a problem with the profession you choose, they need not to be in your life. True friends accept you as who you are. True friends don't make decisions off of materialistic aspects of you. It is hard to find true friends. But what is more important to you? Your career or friends?

A friend of mine from Philly decided to come down to Northern Virginia to be a police officer. He was in a hot relationship with his girlfriend at the time. He had just graduated from college and was ready to move on to be a young professional. He came down and went through the hiring process here in Fairfax County. Of course, he could've gotten a job at a PD in Philly but he liked Northern Virginia. His girlfriend couldn't accept the fact that he was going to be a cop. He had to choose between the girl and the job. He chose the job and moved down here. He does not regret the choice because he needed a job and he got the job and became independent. His girlfriend wasn't going to feed him and cloth him and house him. Girls come and go. Being able to have a job and keep a job is about maturity and responsiblity.

But ultimately, it's your choice. Just make sure you don't make a decision you'd regret later.

Comment

Keper, Keep your chin up. Try to approach your mother with a mature attitude. Maybe if you sit down with her and tell her about your desire to be a LEO then she might understand. Don't go in to the topic as a heated discussion or else it won't work. Let her know that there is always a chance that it isn't all it's cracked up to be and that you've got collision repair to fall back on. If she doesn't give you the information then you will need to do a little research to find it for yourself. Let her know that even if she doesn't give you the information that you need from her that you will still continue with the process. Let her know that you would like to go through this with her blessing and you would hope that she would be proud of you for what you want to give to the community. Just don't give her some attitude with everything. Talk to her as a rational adult, k?
        National Association to Protect Children

Comment

Agree with what's been said, but also know that there are lots of people that would want to be in your situation if they were eligible. I can't imagine doing something like this without the support of your close friends/family.

Comment

Just thinking...my son was concerned that I would get 'hurt' if I became a cop. I explained to him that all the training...all the precaution...and all the backup were there for only one thing...to keep me from getting hurt.

....then I pointed out that I now wear my seat belt all the time....that he related too and gave me his 8 year old blessing.

Maybe your mom is just worried that you will get hurt. In that case, some subtle education might help.
            An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

thanks for your replies... i will be telling my mom today.
              X8

Comment

With all of the confrontations you will have as a police officer, none will come close to having to deal with a mother. And if it's your own mother....phew! Welcome to the team.
                Jerry
                "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

I understand that your folks,and S/O love you ,and are worried about you.but,life is short,and you must follow your passion, you must explain
                  to them that they have to be supportive.

Comment

I have a friend (a female)who used to be a cop.She did really dangerous stuff.Her parents were unable to deal with it.They told her if she left the Dep't. they would move out of their house and give it to her and her family.Essentially they bribed her,and it worked!She did it!

Comment

Hey there.....I have several people telling me that I'm stupid to leave my 12 year electrical career and my present job position to pursue LE....

Bottom line is...F them,it's your choice so take it IMO.

That's what I'm doing but hell my marraige is crumbling anyway so I'll be on my own here in the near future anyways

GL and don't give in.
                      Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Family Matters..

Trust me I know exactly what your going thru. When I was accepted into the Academy everyone was so excited and proud of me, including my boyfriend at the time. I started doing my ride-alongs and working late nights. I was hired by a small town so I was the only female cop working with about 10 males. My boyfriend didn't like that plus the late nights and when he learned that during the 6 month Academy he wouldn't see me as much. We ended up breaking up. My mom was proud but I could tell that certain aspects of the job she didn't like. I can say my dad was the only one that was genuinely happy for me the entire time. I received my first Award of Recognition(first week on the job!!), and my dad was in tears. I have never seen him so happy for me. Getting thru the Academy is HARD work but trust me it's well worth it.
                        -----------------------------
                        Captain O'Hagan: I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."
                        Mac: Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy stuff on the wall and the mozzarella sticks?
                        Farva: You mean Shenanigans?
                        Rabbit: OOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
                        [as they hand the Captain their pistols]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4643 users online. 307 members and 4336 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X