300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt as a result of an injury on duty

I was injured last August whilst arresting a male and whilst awaiting treatment for two prolapsed discs and a hernia my force decided to put me on half pay. I am a third generation police officer with a very good record. As a result of this I nearly lost my house and got behind with payments. It has effected my family greatly.
    As anyone out there been in similar circumstances and how the hell do I get myself back on a level footing????

Can anyone help???
    Last edited by jmc; 08-09-2005, 10:54 AM.

I'm sorry to hear all of that.
    I work as a bill collector during my summers off from college so I have a little experience with debt.
    First thing I recommend is to get a home equity loan. Depending on how much you get, you can pay everything off and just have to worry about one bill.
    Try and get as many of the companies you owe money to to settle. The collection agency I work for collects for banks, Bellsouth, and medical bills. The banks and Bellsouth will usually settle, maybe not on the medical bills.
    The most important thing is to make payments. Even if it is 10$ a month, and even if it hurts because you are showing initiative. Don't just hang up on these collection agencies. When I get someone who talks to me patiently and explains everything without resorting to calling me names, I bend over backwards to help them out. Remember, it is their JOB to get as much money out of you as possible so don't get angry with them. Even though some can be rude (I worked with a few). Tell them your situation, explain that you are a police officer injured in the line of duty and you are trying your best to make ends meet. Ask to speak to a supervisor if the conversation with the collector isn't going well. But do not, under any circumstances get attitude, curse, or resort to name calling with the supervisor because he will hang up on you. The supervisor can sometimes get the companies to settle.

I will ask my mom when she gets home if she knows any other ways to help you out because she has been a bill collector for 25 years.
    Good luck.

Comment

We get full pay ...... if unjured on duty and pay does not get cut unless it results in a disability retirement.

Comment

Do you not recieve workman's Comp? I know our dept is required by state law here to have it. I know no one likes charity but in our area there are different groups that offer help paying medical bills.

Comment

No I didn't. The guy (25)was in care and had a mental illness, but at the time was in the care of his mother and having seen a lawyer he has said it would be a non winner at court, due to the fact that whilst away from his care home the local authority could not be held responsible.

Comment

I think I'd find a new attorney. We have the right to collect workman's comp as well as file a civil suit. Sounds like you are getting screwed.

Comment

Hi, I am from the UK and UK law is a bit different to the US

Comment

do you have people like credit counselors (what we call 'em here)? folks who can help to arrange / re-arrange your bills, make calls to your creditors / mortgage company to help work things out while you are off injured?

i thought you guys in the UK had something similar to Workmen's Compensation......
                ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                -- John Wayne

Comment

I would say in your case your brother officers should have stepped up and helped. $5.00 a week American from every officer would have staved off the bill collectors.

We have here been able to donate 8 hours or one day sick leave to an officer that has ran out if off injured or sick. It's our money and the local gov'ts have all pretty much okayed that and it's written in our contracts now.

We have "passed the hat" and helped so that where your brothers in uniform need to step up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                    I would say in your case your brother officers should have stepped up and helped. $5.00 a week American from every officer would have staved off the bill collectors.

We have here been able to donate 8 hours or one day sick leave to an officer that has ran out if off injured or sick. It's our money and the local gov'ts have all pretty much okayed that and it's written in our contracts now.

We have "passed the hat" and helped so that where your brothers in uniform need to step up.
                    Bodie, wholeheartedly agree. Depending on the agency, tragedy might be one of the few times they come together. The USP I worked at was like this. Only time the Union did anything worthwhile was when a CO (or other staff member) died, or when there was tragedy in the immediate family of the CO (or staff member). Wepassed trhe hat several times and never failed to come up with quite a bit of bread to at least try to ease the pain.
                    Ken
                    I must go down to the seas again to the vagrant gypsy life, To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover, and quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Comment

If only my fellow officers were as generous as that, I have had a lot of sympathy but nothing like you seem to have in the States

Comment

Originally posted by jmc
                        If only my fellow officers were as generous as that, I have had a lot of sympathy but nothing like you seem to have in the States

Having been twice OJI'd for back problems sustained on the job, I feel for you. If I hadn't had Work Comp during the first recovery (2/3ds pay) supplemented by my County with 1/3, I would have been extremely in areers as well, since I had recently gone to work and had no sick leave built up to speak of. The local Officers Association sent me a gift basket with a dozen foreign beers in it... and I don't drink. My father-in-law appreciated it.

My last recovery was considerably shorter and I had the S/L to accomadate it, which was paid back at 2/3 by W/C.

I am unsure if the IACP has any programs that may assist or not. I know our FOP has something now which didn't exist in years past.

I am really surprised that the Crown would allow this type of situation to occur. I thought their (your) Social Programs were much more Liberal than ours in the US.
                        Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                        Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

I am surprised your FOP didn't offer to donate money. I know my FOP does that when we have suff like that happen. It may not be alot, but it helps
                          THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

As for my FOP when I was originally injured in 1987, the local lodge consisted of 2 dozen or so people that gathered to have dinner once a month.

Do they HAVE an FOP in England? Any LE brotherhood Organizations?
                            Last edited by Creeker; 08-12-2005, 04:59 AM.
                            Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                            Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                            Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Originally posted by Creeker
                              Do they HAVE an FOP in England? Any LE brotherhood Organizations?

My bad....Lack of sleep maybe... I didn't notice it was out of country
                              THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3863 users online. 256 members and 3607 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X