300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books to help wife/gf out?

What books do you recommend for your wife/husband or gf/bf, to read to understand about being with a cop or what to expect when they become one?
    "I love a Cop" is one I know of, what other books are good? Thanks
    Last edited by killa75dt; 07-24-2005, 06:56 AM.
    Deputy Sheriff

Came across this book at B&N:
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...21165625&itm=2

There are a lot of online resources as well..but be sure to filter through what you find and use your better judgment. Most of the junk you'll stumble across online can be pretty pessimistic..just remember to be proactive; what's true for the group, isn't always true for the individual. Good luck.

Comment

I just recently finishedd a book titled A Cop's Life, by Sgt. Randy Sutton. It doesn't really address the question on how to live with cops better, but it provided a really good insight on what cops face everyday. There are probably 14 short stories that are sad and a few that are uplifting. I thought it was a good read.

Comment

Thank you
        Deputy Sheriff

Comment

There's a book that came out a few years ago by Connie Fletcher called "What Cops Know." It's a good read for cops and others.
          Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
            There's a book that came out a few years ago by Connie Fletcher called "What Cops Know." It's a good read for cops and others.
            I have to agree, I read that a while ago. It has a lot of insight into the thought process of LEO's.
            stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

Comment

Unsure of any up to date books being out there. "What Cop's know" maybe a good book but keep in mind it tells stories on what they have seen and faced. This maybe a bad thing to give to a spouse thats already jumpy of your job.
              "I love a cop" I think (which I skimmed and wife read) was good but its out of date. It also pretty much tells the spouse to be quite and let the "officer" in the family do whatever they like and act however they want. This could be bad in both aspects.
              At any rate the best thing IMHO is to talk to your spouse about your job, yes it is dangerous but you are more likely to be killed dpoing other things. Not to mention having faith in god would alos help.

TGY
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy
                "I love a cop" I think (which I skimmed and wife read) was good but its out of date. It also pretty much tells the spouse to be quite and let the "officer" in the family do whatever they like and act however they want. This could be bad in both aspects.
                TGY
                I am reading this book now and I wonder what makes you think that? Several times she has said that the spouse of an officer needs to stand up for his/herself when he/she is being too forceful or stubborn.
                Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Best book ever written to help understand a cop was written by Dr. Gilmartin it is called Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement, it is write on the money!
                  There's no substitute for strength,
                  and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                    I am reading this book now and I wonder what makes you think that? Several times she has said that the spouse of an officer needs to stand up for his/herself when he/she is being too forceful or stubborn.

Forgive me I was half asleep when I wrote that post. It has been sometime since I looked at that book (5 + years ago)and may have been mixed up with another book. I stand corrected.

TGY
                    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Not a problem, I was honestly wondering as I have not finished the book. It is a complex read for sure!
                      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5804 users online. 306 members and 5498 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X