Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styx
    replied
    I swear........my life is a bad horror movie about ready to jump into action. I was simply miding my own business checking out what is new in here and I felt something crawling on my leg........didnt think much of it, but it got creepier feeling. I take a sneeky peeky and its a damn ear-wig. I killed it, spit out a few cuss words and laughed.

WHAT ELSE IS GOING TO INVADE MY NEIGHBORHOOD! I had never seen an earwig until I was living in Idaho...maybe we brought some eggs back with us and they are hatching in the attic from boxes we just have in there....Good Grief. Whats next Centipedes.........I want my mommy

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    Originally posted by 00svtlightning
    that does sound like it would be good

You know, I will let you know if I find a recipe for that...

Leave a comment:

• 00svtlightning
    replied
    that does sound like it would be good

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    ahhh crawfish....poor man's lobster
    I had some incredible crawfish etouffee (sp) enchiladas in April. I have to find a recipe for that

Leave a comment:

• 00svtlightning
    replied
    ahhh crawfish....poor man's lobster

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    I've never had gator...interesting
    Oh gator is actually better than chicken, if you ask me. Pretty tender. Depends on who makes it, of course.

Dont think I am Ellie Mae Clampett or anything. I did not try gator or mudbugs (crawfish) until I was an adult and dating my husband. He is a Louisiana boy....never had gator in Texas before I met him. Had plenty of crawfish ....no problem finding that in some cities I lived in here in Texas.

Leave a comment:

• 00svtlightning
    replied
    Here in SD you can only shoot a lion if it attacks you. I can understand why too. I know I wouldn't want to wrestly with one of those big kitties. But I wouldn't shoot one just because it was within range either. We are getting a pretty good population of mountain lions here. They are proposing a hunting season on them due to the fact that they are moving so far east in our state. It's nice to here someone say that they know they are moving into the critters territory. There were some "city slickers" not that I am Mr. country living that moved here from washington state i believe to the hilled areas of our state and thought that the lions should all be shot....that sounded like complete ignorance to me. I've never had gator...interesting

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    Dang it sounds like you need to get out of texas. definatly sounds like the coyotes are the least of your worries. i definatly would be more worried about the snakes and other creepy crawlies. you know those rattlesnakes aparently taste like chicken...maybe you wont have to buy anymore chicken

Rattlesnake does taste like chicken..so does alligator. I wont leave Texas unless I have to....we just live in a really "nature traily" area and we are taking over the critters land, so where can they go?

I have lived in Idaho before and we just had to worry about mountain lions over there......One resident shot a mountain lion that was in her back yard...and got all sorts of grief for not calling animal control to let them deal with it.
    HMMPH, I doubt that mountain lion would have let her go if she was in his home turf......ya know. Survival of the fittest.

There are critters everywhere...just have to know what to do when you see one.

Leave a comment:

• 00svtlightning
    replied
    Dang it sounds like you need to get out of texas. definatly sounds like the coyotes are the least of your worries. i definatly would be more worried about the snakes and other creepy crawlies. you know those rattlesnakes aparently taste like chicken...maybe you wont have to buy anymore chicken

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    My mom was bit by a baby rattlesnake 36 years ago.
    The story is as such....we were all out doing yardwork. She was pulling weeds and I (1 years old) was in her way. She asked my brother , who was 10 , to take me in and keep me occupied. Before he walked in the door, she screamed because something bit her....
    After a good time in the hospital from the surgery due to the snake bite and then contracting hepatitis in the hospital; she has a hefty scar on her leg and had a little tissue damage that you cant really see unless you look for it.
    She is lucky to be alive...... my brother and I are, too.

Thats my rattle snake story...dont have any coyote stories. I have killed a lot of scoprians, though. Those are just things you have to do out here in the state of Texas....yee-haaaaaaaa

Leave a comment:

• 00svtlightning
    replied
    We aparently have a mountain lion calling the river hills here home. Which in a way I think is a good thing...too many deer here, maybe he will take care of some of them. But, knowing that there might be one here I wont be taking any midnight walks. There was a farmers that killed all the rattlesnakes around his house....then he was over run by rodents. I had a a herpetologist for our game and fish department tell me that if we knew how many rattlesnakes were in areas we were walking you would never go there again. But I can understand not wanting to have them around if you have little ones running around.

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    Rattlesnakes, lizards, and Coyotes...oh my

Just got the news yesterday that......its Rattlesnake breeding time and hatching could take place around August. That should take care of the coyotes.....if they are not comfortable they find another area to live.

I mean , give me a break...I have Mothra living in my front yard trying to get into my garage when he can because its so hot. I have to keep an eye out for coyotes and now I will have to worry about rattlesnakes hanging out in the ground cover I have lanscaping the house. I am hiring someone to get rid of all that tall stuff they like to hide in........I certainly wont be pulling any weeds. The hell with that.

This is the Looney Toon I call my life in Texas.

Leave a comment:

• chiefhuntr
    replied
    somewhat agreee

I don't really love em...just dont think killing them all is the answer. People have experimented with longer hunting seasons/increased bag limits, and guess what they dont work. people are not nearly as effective as natures predators. I'm all for population control, especially in urban areas, but I dont think you should kill all of the predators, just keep them in check. Ask the insurance companies, and people who are running into deer on the highways. I know its a problem in more areas than where I live. I believe I have read Wisconson is bad for deer vs car accidents. Ranchers treat coyotes like varmits out here. Shoot to kill attitude. I personally would never kill one, but I know it has to be done to keep the population healthy. I'll get off my soap box now hopefully
    I agree that the population needs to be kept in check and not kill them all. I hunt alot in central Missouri and see Coyotes all the time. There is plenty of food for them and they stay out of the city. Some of the farmers will pay for you to kill any you see while hunting. I also hunt rabbits and there are plenty of them all over the north half of the state. I think the coyotes population can be controled by people if the tree huggers stay out of the way.

We have had several sightings of mountain lions here as well. Now that is something to worry about, if you have kids or livestock

Leave a comment:

• 00svtlightning
    replied
    I don't really love em...just dont think killing them all is the answer. People have experimented with longer hunting seasons/increased bag limits, and guess what they dont work. people are not nearly as effective as natures predators. I'm all for population control, especially in urban areas, but I dont think you should kill all of the predators, just keep them in check. Ask the insurance companies, and people who are running into deer on the highways. I know its a problem in more areas than where I live. I believe I have read Wisconson is bad for deer vs car accidents. Ranchers treat coyotes like varmits out here. Shoot to kill attitude. I personally would never kill one, but I know it has to be done to keep the population healthy. I'll get off my soap box now hopefully

Leave a comment:

• 00svtlightning
    replied
    Originally posted by ProCop75
    Coyotes are Bad everywhere,ever notice while driving down country backroads you hardley see Rabbitts,opposum,Racoons cause they all have been scared into the cities by coyotes,I spotted 10 Rabbitts in my negiborhood the other day,and Saw none out in the county!We need a Nationwide Eradication Program to ridd the States of this menance

I don't think people know how much good coyotes actually do. They need to have their poulation controlled, but to eradicate them? You would be over run by the cute little bunnies and would have coons getting in to your trash every night. Look at the deer population explosion. Now that there are no wolves or other natural predators to keep them in check. Bottom line is we need predators like the coyotes, fox, wolves, and cougars. And I'm not a tree hugger by any means, where I live there are coyotes right behind my house, I can hear them yippin every night.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5564 users online. 336 members and 5228 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X