300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delta784
    You know you have a bad coyote problem if you start finding boxes marked "ACME" in your backyard.

They're also incredibly hard to kill. You can throw them off a cliff, they'll just send up a big puff of dust and walk away with some chirping birds circling their head. Drop an anvil on them, and who doesn't have an anvil handy, and they'll just walk away, bouncing up & down like an accordian.

The only way to really get rid of them is to strap them onto a rocket, blast them into space, then have it explode into sparkly words "THE END".
    That was beautiful. +6 rep points
    Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
    --------------------
    This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

In all seriousness....do be wary of coyotes in an urban invironment. As a nuisance animal trapper for Ohio, I have dealt with a few. You need to be worried about disease #1. You need to be worried about pets #2. And you need to be worried about your kids and yourself #3.

Coyotes are one of the top preditors in an area, when they over come their fear of humans enough to move into a urban or suburban setting...they are dangerous...period.

Fact is, they kill and eat things the size of young children frequently and if they were hungry enough, and had no fear of people....a child would make an easy target.

Coyotes are just too damned unpredictable for me personally to be calm around. Am I paranoid....maybe...but they say I am paranoid cause I carry a gun to the grocery store too.
      An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Coyotes will attack children. The County where I worked banned trapping, since the Bambi lovers thought it was violating the rights of animals or some nonsense. Within a year, dogs and cats started disappearing. Then, we had two attacks on children walking home from school. In both cases, nearby adults chased the coyotes away, but the kids had to undergo rabies treatment.

This was in North Central New Mexico years ago. According to the news either last year or 2 yrs ago, there have been other, similar, incidents in other places around the State. Coyotes are predators. If hungry, they'll try to bring down anything that they think they can handle and might taste good.

Comment

Delta - BEAUTIFUL suggestion!

In AZ when I lived there (30 years), we had a terrible yote problem, and children had been attacked, it depends on the pack and how bad the drought and food supply was. However, on a REGULAR schedule they would jump fences into back yards to get little doggies and kitties. Problem is, when they get all of the doggies and kitties, that are outside, they will attempt to get the ones behind glass! Several people had them in their homes because of doggie doors!
          When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

We have a few of them around here...i have not seen them, but some people have.

The only thing that has been reported to do is watch your small animals outside.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSix5
              That was beautiful. +6 rep points
              I was wondering if anyone was going to get that.
              Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

My traumatic coyote story.
                I was out fishing in Illinois one time and I heard what seemed like 100's of them howling from a distance then all of a sudden it stopped. I heard of coyotes but never really seen one or knew how big they were. my buddy said it was probably them and was telling us how they are viscous killers and hunt and kill in packs like wolves . also flashing into my mind was all the deer bones we found laying around. So we were like we are getting the F out of here after a few more casts. Then a few minutes later we heard the howling real loud and they had to be about 15 to 25 yards from us, we just looked at eachother and started running like crazy to the car that was pretty far away All I knew was that I had to not be the slowest one, like natural selection on the discovery channel were the slowest zebras and wilderbeasts get eaten.

truth be told I was thinking of sticking my leg out and tripping one of my friends so they could be the coyote food (just kidding) but I told them as much when we got back to the car.

Comment

You know you have a bad coyote problem if you start finding boxes marked "ACME" in your backyard.

They're also incredibly hard to kill. You can throw them off a cliff, they'll just send up a big puff of dust and walk away with some chirping birds circling their head. Drop an anvil on them, and who doesn't have an anvil handy, and they'll just walk away, bouncing up & down like an accordian.

The only way to really get rid of them is to strap them onto a rocket, blast them into space, then have it explode into sparkly words "THE END".
                  WOW...only my daughter doing something extremely cute makes me laugh in the morning....thanks, that was cute!

Comment

Thanks for the advice..I talked to a neighbor yesterday and she let me know that they lump fences if there is something that they want back there....great....our dog only goes out when he needs to, but I still watch him. Our daughter is not allowed to be outside alone.....

My husband, the engineer, who does not know anything about coyotes reassured me that they avoid urban settings. I told him he was a fool to think that and we got into a "who knows more" battle. I won by walking away after I reminded him that we live in an urban setting that is surrounded by nature trails, greenbelts and basically land that developers tore down to build houses on.....still building. The coyotes are probably mad along with the other things that live here.
                    Its "where the wild things are" over here right now.

We also have this lizard about 6 inches long that is pretty ugly Its not flat like a ghecko, but has a iguana looking face and body. Its a little too comfortable in our yard, we see him a lot. He only shows up when its hotter than the dickens (In Texas that is at least 98 with 100% humidity...melting, wet heat). I mentioned the lizard some time ago , I believe.
                    I told my hubby to kill it when he sees it(I am really a big meanie) and he tells me it is good for eating bugs......when I saw it the day ants feasted on my leg for lunch, I chased it with a mop. It was a lovely sight. The thing ran into my garage and hid behind the video game we have in there...I was secretly hoping it would crawl into the compartment and scare my husband one day. I left it alone and when I saw him come out, I chased him away. It was a comical day at the Styx house on Saturday. When I told my husband I was going to kill the lizard next time I saw it....he said, "Well, you kill it, you clean all the lizard guts off the concrete...brains, blood, everything." So the truth comes out...he isnt letting the thing live because he wants it to eat bugs......he is grossed out by blood. So I revealed that and he admitted it..that big baby......He then told me that the lizrd wouldnt hurt me, so why did I want to kill it. It made me think a little.

When I told my mom that my husband would not kill it because he is a squeamish girlie man..she told me to be nice, that I was a brute and to just cripple it and let another animal kill it. I told her that was cruel.

Sorry, but we dont discuss things like this on Parent forums, you know. I guess I should just leave it alone and keep an eye out for coyotes; i heard something howling last night...dont know if it was a regular old dog or my imagination.

I need a vacation from coyotes and Godzilla.

Comment

Consider giving Yosemitie Sam a call, He don't take no crap from them varmints, Not like that Fudd and his blunderbuss!
                      My name is Mr. Officer, My special friends can call me Mr.Officer,Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by k12kop
                        Consider giving Yosemitie Sam a call, He don't take no crap from them varmints, Not like that Fudd and his blunderbuss!

LOL..this does sound like a cartoon. I should take all my adventures with the coyote watch and the lizard hunt and write a childrens book. Its just the right amount of lunacy. Speaking of varmits...have not seen any scorpians these days...not any construction in my neck of the burbs, so maybe that is why.

I did a search online to see if I could find a pic of Mothra.....(thats what I namd the lizard) and I only found some nasty pics of horned lizards(toads)...man those things are UUUUUGGGLY! And they are endangered over here so if you are caught kiling one, you are fined...Gracious.....

Mothra looks like a horned species of lizard..just not sure which one. Maybe I will cath it and sell it to the University of Texas....they have a few lizard studies going on. Make some money off that ugly beast.

OYE....my life.......

98 degrees over here....hotter than hell and it rained yesterday so its humid, sticky, gross.....Calgon take me away!

Comment

LAMO

Oh **** that was funny Delta. I was thinking of posting something about the Road Runner. meepmeep

Coyotes rarely attack humans...but I would be a little concerned about letting kids outside to play without adults around. If they are extremely hungary the fear could be overcome and an attack is possible although rare.
                          Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

Originally posted by Styx

Mothra looks like a horned species of lizard..just not sure which one. Maybe I will cath it and sell it to the University of Texas....they have a few lizard studies going on.
                            Maybe you really could trap it, and take it somewhere else. Just make sure its a strong trap!! I used to not mind my local "varmints," but lately i'm tired of all of them. Things get into my crawlspace and my attic, and my "pet" groundhog is digging up underneath my shed worse than ever...it might cave in. And hes also digging around my septic tank area...not smart!! I might move just to get away from critters.

Comment

Coyotes are Bad everywhere,ever notice while driving down country backroads you hardley see Rabbitts,opposum,Racoons cause they all have been scared into the cities by coyotes,I spotted 10 Rabbitts in my negiborhood the other day,and Saw none out in the county!We need a Nationwide Eradication Program to ridd the States of this menance

Comment

Originally posted by Styx
                                I think pitbulls are more dangerous......
                                Go educate yourself on pits.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4387 users online. 244 members and 4143 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X