• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death of a baby

Posted on Tue, Mar. 22, 2005

Woman charged with felony murder in death of 17-month-old boy

Associated Press

OLATHE, Kan. - A woman has been charged with first-degree felony murder in the death of her boyfriend's 17-month-old son.

Bond was set at $1 million for Jessica D. Harber, 23, who was arrested Monday. She was expected to make her first appearance in Johnson County District Court later Tuesday.

The child, Dakota Smith, died March 15 at Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo. He had been flown there after his father and Harber took him to Overland Park Regional Medical Center the night before.

Police think Harber, who had been dating the father since last summer, was alone with the child at her family's home in Lenexa when he was hurt. They would not say how they think he was injured, but said his skull was severely fractured.

"It was a severe, blunt trauma," Lenexa Detective Jack Boyer said Monday.

The boy's father and mother shared his custody. Police said that when he was with the father, he stayed at the home in Lenexa where Harber lived with her mother and stepfather.

The charge accuses Harber of killing the child during commission of the "inherently dangerous felony" of child abuse. Prosecutors also filed an alternative charge of intentional second-degree murder.

---
    Ok, here's my thing..
    How in the world can anyone hurt a baby?
    and obviously after a year of dating this woman, the man trusted her.
    So how can you tell if you can really trust someone with your kids?
    I personally don't trust many people at all with my kids, but DAMN.
    This woman deserves the death penalty if anybody does.

Thats just wrong
    RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

Is it just me, or is this type of activity happening more and more often these days? Or is it just being reported on more? Either way, it shouldn't be happening at all. It makes me sick when I hear of these things. This is one of the things that I feel VERY strongly about and it sets me off whenever I hear of this type of thing happening. The death penalty, whether it's from a needle, the gas chamber or electric chair in my opinion is to leniant in my opinion. I have much better ideas. But unfortunately, we as Law Enforcement Officers have to abide by the laws that we were sworn to enforce and cannot act on such impulses.
      Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking.
      If you cheat, may you cheat death.
      If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart.
      If you fight, may you fight for a brother.
      And if you drink, may you drink with me.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
      --Matthew 5:9--

Comment

Yeah, I can think of some good penalties as well.
        RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

Originally posted by ccpd8512
          Is it just me, or is this type of activity happening more and more often these days? Or is it just being reported on more?
          I was in a child abuse class a couple of years ago where the instructor claimed that more kids are killed each year in their OWN HOMES by their OWN PARENTS than in ALL the school shootings in the history of the country.

Not sure of the validity of this because the instructor didn't cite a study. But you're right, you hear about this more and more lately.

Comment

Un-freakin-believable. What kind of cold-hearted infant murderer can expect to stay alive?

Life sentence? Death penalty? You think the death penalty will bring justice to the dad or relatives? Nothing, absolutely nothing will bring that baby back. What the f*** was that woman thinking? How could anyone possibly do such thing? I mean, what in the f*uck could have possibly gone wrong with her to murder an infant with severe, blunt force?

Death penalty? Kiss my ***...that is not enough justice. Nothing is.

WTF...

Now, I have a new born niece. If anyone were to mess with MY niece....oh HELL NO...either the offender or I would have to leave this earth...and it wouldn't be me. Nobody messes with my children. NO-GOD DAMN-BODY.
            Last edited by umtkny; 03-22-2005, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by umtkny
              Un-freakin-believable. What kind of cold-hearted infant murderer can expect to stay alive?

Life sentence? Death penalty? You think the death penalty will bring justice to the dad or relatives? Nothing, absolutely nothing will bring that baby back. What the f*** was that woman thinking? How could anyone possibly do such thing? I mean, what in the f*uck could have possibly gone wrong with her to murder an infant with severe, blunt force?

Death penalty? Kiss my ***...that is not enough justice. Nothing is.

WTF...

Now, I have a new born niece. If anyone were to mess with MY niece....oh HELL NO...either the offender or I would have to leave this earth...and it wouldn't be me. Nobody messes with my children. NO-GOD DAMN-BODY.
              I seriously hope you wer'nt telling me to kiss your ***. I was just saying that the woman deserves the death penalty. WE can't actually DO to her what I really believe needs done. you're right, it's not enough justice. But I wouldn't be telling anyone on here to kiss your ***. We all believe the same way on this case.
              It makes us all sick to our stomachs that anyone could hurt a baby. Especially those of us who HAVE our own children.

Comment

Originally posted by tk0727
                I seriously hope you wer'nt telling me to kiss your ***.
                No, tk0727, I wasn't saying that you directly. If I wanted to say that you, I would've indicated your screen name and said it directly TO you.

What is the worst justice that can be given to that woman, other than the death penalty? Ok, so since she went off and killed someone, she deserves to die as well and so the law puts her to death. But that doesn't un-do what was done. That is not enough justice. That makes me mad.

Comment

No, tk0727, I wasn't saying that you directly. If I wanted to say that you, I would've indicated your screen name and said it directly TO you.

What is the worst justice that can be given to that woman, other than the death penalty? Ok, so since she went off and killed someone, she deserves to die as well and so the law puts her to death. But that doesn't un-do what was done. That is not enough justice. That makes me mad.
                  Gotcha..just let your anger do your talking? I do it too..
                  no prob...Right, nothing will bring that baby back to his parents.
                  this is why i don't trust very many people at all with my kids alone.
                  Too many pedafiles and sickos and murderers.. SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS

Hopefully she'll die, which is a minor justification to all of us.

www.kansascity.com is the local news. if you'd like to keep up on how it's going IF it doesn't get national coverage.

TK..

Comment

Tk,

I apologize, if in any way, you felt offended by my post prior to the last one. I should choose my wordings carefully but when I saw the post, it struck me hard. It's never a light issue when it comes to crimes committed against our children.

I SORRY, TK! Please accept my apology.

Comment

Tk,

I apologize, if in any way, you felt offended by my post prior to the last one. I should choose my wordings carefully but when I saw the post, it struck me hard. It's never a light issue when it comes to crimes committed against our children.

I SORRY, TK! Please accept my apology.
                      LOL. I pm'd you with one earlier too! I might have read to hastily.
                      after the other jackass on the forum today! LOL...no offense taken.
                      is all good! ..

Comment

sad but true fact in America. There was a mother in Derry, PA who was I think 19 and killed her infant recently. I'm sure if you did a check on the web you could find thousands of infant murders. Lack of moral values is what I attribute it to.
                        Liberalism is a mental disorder
                        -Resistance implies Guilt-

Comment

When I was on the streets nothing would have made me loss my cool as bad as Sh*t like this...what the f**k was she thinking. How could you beat a helpless child to death like that? There are so many things that I would like to do to her right now. Death penalty is not justice in my opinion, but the law will not allow me to do what I want to do to her

Comment

Without going into detail, I'll just say that one of the few times I lost my professional bearing at work was with someone who severely injured a child.
                            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Me too. It involved a phonebook. Ya'll can figure out the rest.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7596 users online. 299 members and 7297 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X