Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression?

How do you cope with it?
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

I get out of the house and go do something, whether it be exercise, Starbucks, whatever. It's so easy to sit and let depression take over, but if you go out and do something it helps.
    Matthew 5:9

Comment

Depression

Good question, shooter. I don't know about the US, but here in Australia it is at last being recognised as a legitimate medical condition.

Your question - "How do you cope with it"

Answer - Sometimes we all suffer from Mood Swings - depending on what kind of day we have had and we tend get over it, once our environment has changed. However, Depression is another story and seems to arrive for no apparent reason and then departs for no apparent reason.

It's not something that could be discussed on a Public Forum, suffice to say that Depression in many people is a medical condition and needs to be treated as such.

Regards,

JohnKelly
      Australia
      Last edited by JohnKelly; 02-21-2004, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Kick the dogs or go kill some fuzzy furry critter.
        Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

I'd recommend a physical exam to rule out any medical issues. At this time talk about the issue with your physician. Everyone has the "blues" periodically. it's a normal life cycle. When it becomes an ongoing issue it can become life threatening.

Usually feeling "depressed" for more than a few days or a week is indicative of a problem. The quicker the problem is addessed the easier it'll be to resolve. Too often people believe this "feeling" will go away by itself - Wrong! Seek medical advice as soon as possible - it'll save you time and grief in the long run.

In the interim "exercise" will help. Going to the gym or working out will help keep the "symptoms" at bay for a while. If it's a severe depression they will reoccur despite the exercise regimen. This is why it's important you seek help before it progresses.

Comment

I agree about that excercise is a great way to deal with depression. If all else fails, see a pschologist and get on some anti-depressants.

Comment

A Psychologist cannot write a prescription for Anti-Depressants, only a Medical Doctor or a Psychiartrist(is a medical doctor.)can.

This is why I recommended seeing your personal physical. Depression may be the precussor of an underlying illness.

Comment

TALK to someone. I'm not a big fan of EAP but a good friend, family member, clergy, peer counselor (at some depts.)... anyone! But venting always, always helps at least a little.
                I do not follow blindly the orders of my superiors, but rather employ that philosophy whereby I do as they would have told me to had they known what they were talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblecop
                  A Psychologist cannot write a prescription for Anti-Depressants, only a Medical Doctor or a Psychiartrist(is a medical doctor.)can.

This is why I recommended seeing your personal physical. Depression may be the precussor of an underlying illness.
                  A psychologist can refer you to an MD. Most MD's have no clue about depression so in my opinion, it would be better to see a psychologist first.

Comment

I do have to agree with talking to peers (venting) and also going out and working out... But the main question comes in is what about us officers who are at the bottom of the barrel (as far as pay is concered)

I try not to work too much secondary but at the same time, I have to provide for my family. I do what I can and I appriciate my wife telling me that we are going to be ok...but I know in my heart that we're not. I find myself every other day going over the budget and seeing what I can fix. Its at the point where I have applied to other departements nationwide and currently it is to no avail.

I donno how religous you are but I also find comfort in my faith.

Comment

I personally feel that everyone needs some type of outlet. Be it time with the kids/dog/wife/friends or just spaming on officer.com

The one thing I notice in successful Policing is a strong foundation the extends beyond the workplace. Though I am not a LEO I have had my share of depressing days. I relied on the wonderful relationship I have with my girlfriend that brought me back to reality and made me able to better cope with difficult situations. I know that when I come home it will be to her, my release.

Or you could punch a dead cow like Rocky...

Drew

Last edited by drewkawa; 02-23-2004, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Which is one of the reasons I keep harping about being a cop 24/7. Leave it at work!

Exercise is a good way to reduce stress, but depression can happen anyway. It's hard to deal with some of the stuff we've had to come across without letting it affect you somehow. I became a gym rat in an attempt to keep some sanity. It works some, but not a cure all.

I agree with seeing a psychologist. It took nearly 6 years of therapy to unkink my brain after I left the job. I had to take antidepressants too. They helped a lot. They aren't mood altering per se, you don't really notice anything other than it's not so hard to leave the house, you don't blow your stack so easily and you don't isolate as much. Good stuff. Listen to your spouse. They notice behavior changes a lot sooner than you do so don't blow them off if they say you're acting strange. Take it from me, it's much better to nip this in the bud than let it fester like I did.
                        "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Does this depression have anything to do with the female friend you've mentioned a couple of times?

Comment

If you're asking ME, she is a fairly new development. I've got about 10 years of sh*t bottled up inside....
                            "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                            -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Originally posted by shooter1201
                              If you're asking ME, she is a fairly new development. I've got about 10 years of sh*t bottled up inside....
                              Shooter, you could be having problems from your regular job too. To each his own, but that would be more stressful for me. My oldest daughter teaches 7th and 8th grade English (well, they call it Language Arts now, I guess) and I don't know how she does it, but she loves the job.

I would really recommend seeing a therapist that's familiar with PTSD. You may not have that, but that person would be good with depression too.

Anti-depressants aren't bad at all. They don't have the side effects they used to and you won't feel any tangible mood elevation as they take a couple of weeks to take effect. They're not a cure all, but they do help. Don't let it go.....
                              "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6539 users online. 341 members and 6198 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X