Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Decision to Make.

Hello all,
    This is my first post on here so please excuse me if I have posted this in the incorrect place.
    I've been trying to become a police officer for about a year and a half now. I've taken my civil service exam and passed for a particular department that I'm very interested in. In January said department is having a recruitment day as they are looking to add more officers in the city. There's going to be a big push for recruitment. I'm ahead of the curve a little because I do have my civil service exam and an application in. I'm also on the employment list. So if I show up and do well there's a decent chance I'll get an interview. Now here's the tough decision part... I have a wife and daughter. And was recently offered a job that pays well. It starts at 15 an hour with lots of overtime and in about a year it's very possible to be making 23-25 an hour. It's as a NDT Technician (x-raying welds and such). Now this isnt at all my dream job or career. Being a police officer is. It feels like a calling. I've never wanted anything more. I was like a kid on Christmas morning when I heard about the recruitment day. But my wife wants me to take this NDT job because of how much money I would be making. It would leave us with no financial worries. But is my happiness in my career worth the money? I can't imagine anything greater than being a police officer. Should my wife support me following my dream when it's just within my reach or should I just do a job I won't like for the money? It actually makes me sad to think I may not be an officer.

Good luck ---------------------------yes YOU and YOUR FAMILY have a choice to make.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

A couple of thoughts:

Why can't you take the job and continue on with the hiring process?

You have a wife and a kid, so this isn't just about you anymore.

You can work the NDT job and look at reserve or part time officer positions.

Comment

As said above, YOU are not just you. You have responsibilities. Work the job you need and then look for the job you want. Working lots of overtime may sound good as far as making money, but it can be very taxing on a family. You work a grave shift then turn around and have to testify in court then hope to get a couple hours before you have to go back or pick up the kids or whatever. It is a whole new life. I am lucky because I have a very understanding wife, but the first many years in law enforcement were very difficult for both of us. Now that I am driving a desk it has gotten better. You need to take into account her feelings as well as yours.
        Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their replies so far. I appreciate any and all answers.
          As some have stated it's not just ME anymore. I'm very aware of that. That's the only reason this other career field was even considered. I have accepted the offer. One of the things that I don't like about it is the time away from my new family. The possibility of being gone for a month or more at a time is very high. It's pretty much inevitable. Which is part of why I may not be able to pursue a reserve position or anything. The scheduling is sporadic at best. I understand it's best financially for my family so I'm doing it. It's just that I've given up a lot of myself prior to having a family. I am a selfless person and that's cost me some of my dreams. I guess it's just true that dreams die hard. My wife was completely on board with the pursuit of a career in law enforcement until this opportunity came up. Which I guess she just wants what's best. Or what makes life easier at least.
          Last edited by Droy; 11-21-2014, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Hello Brother,

After Fourteen years as a Police Officer/Detective/ Daddy, I understand. The fact is, that to be a Police Officer is a calling from GOD. In my humble opinion. Take the NDT job work hard and pursue your Police job. Most agencies can take upto a year or more to process. Work the Job until you get a offer from the Police Deparment. That way you keep taking care of HOME, if it is meant you will be the POLICE.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofc D402 View Post
              Hello Brother,

After Fourteen years as a Police Officer/Detective/ Daddy, I understand. The fact is, that to be a Police Officer is a calling from GOD. In my humble opinion. Take the NDT job work hard and pursue your Police job. Most agencies can take upto a year or more to process. Work the Job until you get a offer from the Police Deparment. That way you keep taking care of HOME, if it is meant you will be the POLICE.
              What he said

Comment

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Take the job now, keep trying for the LE job. Quit when you get it.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Thanks again for the answers here.

I talked to my wife about doing this job until I'm offered a position with a department. She's not for it.

Comment

A religious leader or clergy member is a calling from God.

LE is a JOB, not a calling. If you think that God told you to be a cop, you have some issues...
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Droy View Post
                      Thanks again for the answers here.

I talked to my wife about doing this job until I'm offered a position with a department. She's not for it.
                      Well, what's more important to you?

I don't want or need an answer to that question, however YOU need to know the answer to that question.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

That makes no sense, unless she just doesn't want you to become a cop at all.

Since you're married with a kid, what she wants for your life is as important as what you want.

She has to be behind your career or it won't work.

If you think that God told you to be a cop, you have some issues.
                        God telling you to be a cop, and God intending you to be a cop aren't the same thing.

Many people of faith believe God has a plan for their life, your derision not withstanding.

The gods I follow are far different than the Christian God, but I firmly believe I was called to war and the profession of arms... and since that portion of my life is now over the gods are satisfied that I continue my warrior calling as a peace officer.
                        Last edited by tanksoldier; 11-21-2014, 08:46 PM.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                          A religious leader or clergy member is a calling from God.

LE is a JOB, not a calling. If you think that God told you to be a cop, you have some issues...
                          Being a cop is WHO you are, not what you are. God has nothing to do with it. You have to pass a psychological exam.
                          September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Not everyone can be a doctor or astronaunt. Well thinking about it, not everyone can be a cop either. Even if you get selected, graduate #1 in your class, and pass probation. Do you think the next 30 years are easy? I have seen people quit after many years of service because this "career" can crush you and your family.

Take an aptitude test and see if you are there or not. Good luck.

Comment

It really is a family decision. Play the "what if" game & see how it goes. And having said that, my question for the wife is: Why not be a cop? If the sole answer is "money" , then she's kinda short-sighted as private industry can be inconsistent. If it's the hourly wage, remind her you can make the same kind of money in time & with extra training & special assignments. All the other posters here gave some really good advice & great personal insight--- I'm not that gifted or insightful.
                              Anyway, I'll add this: If you're even remotely thinking this is what you want to do, at least give it a shot or you'll regret it the rest of your life. Also, LE IS something of a special calling--not everyone gets it, can do it, or succeed at it. If you're right you'll find it very fulfilling & both you & her will have something to be proud of.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4025 users online. 237 members and 3788 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X