Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiland
    replied
    I'm a little late in seeing this thread, but really sorry to hear about your divorce, Kieth M. Always seen you say only kind things about your wife and family. Hope you're doing okay.

Leave a comment:

• BNWS
    replied
    She's just fooling herself.

Leave a comment:

• ibdrago
    replied
    Too many of us are in your shoes my brother.....

Leave a comment:

• tj05
    replied
    Very good piece. Unfortunately I know how the author feels.

Leave a comment:

• Kieth M.
    started a topic Pieces of Paper

Pieces of Paper

It’s Just a Piece of Paper
    By Kieth M.

A Church Elder recently shared online about a discussion he’d had with a former girlfriend, who had moved on and was now living with a man she was not married to. When asked by the Elder if she would eventually marry her new boyfriend, she replied with the familiar, time worn response of, “It’s just a piece of paper”. Of course the Elder counseled her, with the intent of steering her in the direction of marriage, but it was the term “piece of paper” which caused me to stare off in the distance from my computer screen.

Because I recently moved, I began to think about some of the pieces of paper I’ve seen lately. Papers found as I was opening boxes I packed at the old house so I might file them into their new resting places at my new home.

Birthday cards from my wife covering the last 18 years we’ve known each other. I saved them along with anniversary cards, thank-you cards, Valentine Day cards, Christmas cards, “just because ‘I love you’” cards sent to me at my work address, and even the rare St. Patrick’s Day card. Those are pieces of paper.

Stored in the fireproof safe are more papers…copies of our marriage license, our three kids birth certificates, insurance policies to make sure our kids were provided for.

Now added to the safe are more papers. Divorce papers, served by my wife, to me as I was at work. More papers will probably follow, such as custody, visitation and support agreements.

Paper, indeed, with the uncanny ability to tear into my heart and soul, when I sorely miss someone I loved, and the way my life used to be.

I e-mailed back the Elder to ask his friend to make sure she speaks to a divorcee (one who did not want the divorce), a widow, or a widower and ask about how they feel when they see a similar piece of paper from their married life. I would hope she might get a lesson in how much that paper means to someone who was really in love.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2755 users online. 180 members and 2575 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X