300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding a head doc

Anyone have suggestions on how to find a good therapist that specializes in police officers or was a former police officer in the Michigan area? Google isnt much help. I had a good one out of state but my new insurance doesn't cover it. The few I've seen since then has been one trip and done. It seems like they are intimidated by me, or I had one that said he couldn't help me at all because he did not understand enough about police psychology and culture.

Check with your law enforcement licensing agency.

They might have some contacts
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Check out www.psychologytoday.com and click on "Find a Therapist". You can search by area, then narrow it down by insurance type, modality, etc. Once you've searched by area, try "Trauma and PTSD" under Issues on the left...my guess is therapists with that specialty are more likely to have dealt with police or military clients. Many therapists will offer a free phone consultation, maybe 15 min or so, to see if you'd be a good fit for each other. You can always ask them when you call, and let them know you're looking specifically for someone with knowledge and/or experience in police culture. If they don't have that, ask them if they can recommend someone who does.

I've found 2 of the 3 therapists I've worked with in the last 6 years using this site, and they've both been excellent.

Comment

delt55...
        All good advice in the above posts. Might I add that you should take your time finding a therapist and make sure it's a good fit. I thought back on my divorce, and I went through two before I found one that was sincerely interested in helping me get through it all. I know this doesn't sound encouraging, but trust me, you need a person you can communicate with, openly and honestly...and someone who understands the LE mindset. Good Luck!
        Ski

Comment

Delt55 - I will only post once on this thread and not even bother to check the replies.

As you know, I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've been a Phshrink client, off and on, many times during my 35 years. Know what my biggest problem is/was? The problem of being "terminally unique". That no mere mortal could understand me and the complex world of law enforcement...danger being my constant companion...or so I would have you believe.

The truth, FOR ME (alone here...not you or anyone else), is that I'm NOT a guy who was handed alcoholism and psych issues AFTER he pinned on a badge. I'm a guy who ALREADY HAD the foundations of alcoholism and psych issues BEFORE I pinned on a badge. My badge, courtesy of psych testing and an extensive background check just helped fuel my denial system.

Yes, of course, make sure the therapist is a good fit. But please be prepared to cooperate with him/her. Nothing good will come of holding anything back. I am as sick as my secrets.
          Last edited by Kieth M.; 06-03-2014, 02:55 PM.
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Keith-
            I didnt hold anything back with my last one. Would really liked to continues seeing him. But unfortunately due to insurance reasons I have to find a different one. And yeah I wouldnt expect anyone to help me unless they knew all of my inner demons. Codemanski-that is why i'm trying to find the right fit. Like i said in my post there were a few therapists I saw that were actually intimidated by me. Must be something with the cop psychi.

Comment

Originally posted by delt55 View Post
              Keith-
              Codemanski-that is why i'm trying to find the right fit. Like i said in my post there were a few therapists I saw that were actually intimidated by me. Must be something with the cop psychi.
              No delt...it's NOT the "cop psyche...it's just bad therapists. I wish I had some better suggestions as to where to find a good one, but I'm not familiar with the Michigan area at all. Maybe check around for a Critical Incident Response Team in your area. They deal with traumatic incidents and often times have professionals on board who understand many of the issues associated with police and fire personnel. Keep positive and stay strong!
              Ski

Comment

i called the POAM they referred me to a doc that is finding someone for me. Thanks for the replies everyone. My new motto: Decerto (fight to the finish)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5948 users online. 337 members and 5611 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X