Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compensation to families of fallen officers.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensation to families of fallen officers.

What type of compensation/benefits do families receive when their Father/Mother, or spouse die in the line of duty? I realize that it depends on the department, and I will have to ask the department that I am applying for specifically, but what is your departments policy?
    Criminals are dumb, otherwise we wouldn't have a job.

You Are Worth More Dead Than Alive

I see you are in California. Here it is not so much department policy as a matter of law if you are killed in the line of duty.

Assuming you are going to work for a CalPERS agency, your spouse should get 50% of you pay, tax free for the rest of their life. Unless things have changed, your kids will get free tuition at any Cal State University when the time comes. CalPERS also pays a $5,000 death benefit.

At current rates, workers compensation will pay $10,000 for burial expenses and anywhere from $250,000 to $320,000 in death benefits, depending on how many dependents you have.

The Feds pay a $333,604 death benefit to the family of public safety officers killed in the line of duty, however, it may take a year or two for them to come up with the money.

Money will also come from the public. If they are on the ball. your POA will set up a trust account for people to make donations. People tend to come out of the woodwork to donate, particularly celebrities. How much is donated will depend on the circumstances of your death, how much publicity it receives, how tragic it was and how the press reports it.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

As noted by L-1 both state and federal law come into play here-----------not so much the individual agencies.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

As far as compensation policy is concerned this entirely depends on the company.

Comment

That is a very interesting question. I guess L-1 pretty much explained it well. I didn't know the Federal Government had anything to do with it.

Comment

Go to the COPS (Concerns of Police Survivors) site and each states benefits are listed

Comment

Originally posted by JBadge View Post
              What type of compensation/benefits do families receive when their Father/Mother, or spouse die in the line of duty? I realize that it depends on the department, and I will have to ask the department that I am applying for specifically, but what is your departments policy?
              Not enough, JMHO YMMV.

It really depends on the survivor. Some move on and others are stuck forever on the LODD date.

Comment

There is also a lifetime pension for the spouse, and for any kids until reaching 18/graduating from college. During my tenure at LAPD, the City made that pension lifetime for the surviving spouse regardless of marital status.

I worked the unit which handled the death & funerals for active duty cops. I was amazed at all the sources of money there were for surviving families, from the NRA, fraternal organizations, to the USMC....regardless of non-membership.

I believe that the Feds also provide tuition for fallen cops' kids.

But I can tell you that every one of those widowed and one parent-less people would trade all that cash back for more time with the lost one.
                Last edited by Kieth M.; 07-14-2014, 03:45 PM.
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Jack and 5hit. I think I get 1 1/2 times my yearly and by I, I really mean my wife. If it happens on public transportation or something stupid like that I think it is 2 times. My wife would win the lottery if I get hit by a bus while interviewing a witness. The best thing you can do is to get some term life. 250k or more AND only if you trust your wife/family.
                  Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Be aware that the payout for term life insurance (TLI) decreases as one gets older. Case in point. I handled the death of a 26 y/o cop. He and I had the exact same coverage of TLI. He was KIA and because that type of death pays double-indemnity, his widow got $360k. If I had passed of natural causes, that same day, at my (then) age of 42, it would have only paid $56k. I think my policy is worth about $8k, now...and forever.

The reason TLI is so inexpensive is that you're expected to save money (I know, what's that?) to provide for your family if you die. WHOLE life insurance pays the big bucks and never decreases, but you'll pay big premiums on it.
                    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                      Be aware that the payout for term life insurance (TLI) decreases as one gets older. Case in point. I handled the death of a 26 y/o cop. He and I had the exact same coverage of TLI. He was KIA and because that type of death pays double-indemnity, his widow got $360k. If I had passed of natural causes, that same day, at my (then) age of 42, it would have only paid $56k. I think my policy is worth about $8k, now...and forever.

The reason TLI is so inexpensive is that you're expected to save money (I know, what's that?) to provide for your family if you die. WHOLE life insurance pays the big bucks and never decreases, but you'll pay big premiums on it.
                      This actually depends on the type of Term-Life Insurance. There is decreasing term which works as you described and is helpful for things like a mortgage off-set. There is also level and is for a fixed period of time (mine is $400,000 for 20 years); it does not decrease.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5400 users online. 370 members and 5030 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X