300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA PERS Disability Retirement and Divorce

Is my spouse legally entitled to my retirement benefits ?
    Last edited by 9114life; 01-30-2012, 11:34 PM. Reason: cc

Are you talking about the pension continuying if you die? Generally, speaking you take a reduced pension in order for your spouse to receive continued benefits. How much of a reduction you take depends on what percentage of your pension you want your spouse to receive, combined with your and your spouse's ages (projected longevity factors).
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1...I think he's talking about the "D" word.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I don't know about California , but in Iowa our pensions are community property..................
        Yep she would get half
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Anyone out there have first hand knowledge?????
          Last edited by 9114life; 01-30-2012, 11:32 PM. Reason: c

Comment

edit edit edit
            Last edited by thrombis; 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM.
            If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

Your life is NOT my fault.

What part of NO did you not understand?

Comment

I also can't speak for California but here she would be eligible for half.
              Assuming they were married for more than just a couple of years.

Comment

Thanks All Pers confirmed it is community property. Its all good !

Comment

9114life...
                  All depends on the settlement. When I got the "shaft", the ex got the house, and I got to keep my retirement as part of the deal. I guess it all depends on how amicable the settlement is, or if the ex wants to take you for all she can. It also depends on if your spouse is working or not...it all figures into the final equation. I guess I was just lucky that all I lost was the house and some BS property. Have you tried to use an arbitrator...or is it too late for that? Good luck, but as Iowa said, a pension is "community" property.

Comment

Here is an interesting case from Iowa concerning divorce, IPERS (LEO) retirement.....and one of my co-workers.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ia-suprem...t/1333061.html
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3231 users online. 194 members and 3037 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X