300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you do?

So i've been a customs officer for about 2 years now, recently i been offered a postion to work with a contractor in afganistan, doing what i did before telecom networking. Im currently in el paso tx but im from florida i was thinking if i do take this postion i would move my family back to fl, and go from there i really want the best for my family but i really having a hard time deciding what to do. The money is good here but i would never make then amount they are offering me. What would you guys do?
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

What type of danger would you be in on a daily basis? Would the the money justify you being injured? How long would you be there for? Will you have a contract with this company? How much defensive/offensive training will you receive before you go? Will you be allowed to carry a weapon when you are over there? What would the living conditions be like (not sure if it matters but thought I'd throw it out there)? What type of international driver's license will you need? What type of health insurance will you have for your family? What type of support will the company provide to your family while you are gone? Will your immediate family have support from other family members in Florida?

Per my hubby? The forieign income you made ther first two years is tax exempt, until you come back to the US (www.irs.gov, foreign income). Are you prepared to pay full federal and state taxes on the money. Is that worth you being away from your family for two years or possible eternity if you lose your life.

My husband was offered this type of position and this is what he found out doing the research. Sounds like you need to do a lot more research before you make a decision.

Comment

Your family wants YOU..not "better money". You are already making good money? Don't fix what ain't broke!

"What you really want is happiness. You might believe that a fat bank account will get you there, but that's false. Happy people are happy rich or poor, unhappy people are unhappy rich or poor. Money simply masks your real being by giving you activities to occupy your mind. Don't fool yourself, recession or not, your true wealth comes from your heart and is always only there. "

World_So_Cold

Comment

The two ladies summed it up pretty good my friend.
        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Ask your wife if she wants you or more money, her answer should tell you where priorities lie.

Comment

The question that hasn't been asked is------------------------------------do you want to leave the BP?

My guess it that the real reason for the question is that you are not happy in your current position and have been offered an opportunity to escape....................................

My former B-I-L contracted out with Halliburton as a truck driver trying to get out of debt. It was one of the main reasons the marriage broke up.

David-------------many people do this all the time and come home safe. Statistically it isn't that much more dangerous than being a cop.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

That's a Great question Iowa
              The question that hasn't been asked is------------------------------------do you want to leave the BP?

My guess it that the real reason for the question is that you are not happy in your current position and have been offered an opportunity to escape....................................
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

My husband has been working in Afghanistan for a year and a half now. He comes home every three months for two weeks. The money is great but you really have to sacrifice a lot. Our son is grown now and I work myself so for us this was doable. I would not recommend it for someone that has small children. It can be very tough at times and it's not getting better over there. I would really think on this decision....money doesn't mean anything if your family falls apart or you don't come home.

Comment

[QUOTE=Iowa #1603;2732208]The question that hasn't been asked is------------------------------------do you want to leave the BP?

no i dont want to leave the agency but were im located isnt exaclty my cup of tea, its a desert town with very little to do. if i could get a transfer i would but theres not sigh of that at all here.
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3980 users online. 250 members and 3730 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X