300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couples in Law Enforcement

I am just wondering if there are any couples in law enforcement out there. My husband is a Federal LEO and I have been applying for an 1811 spot before I ever met him. Now that we are married and looking to start a family at some point in the future, I wonder what affect it would have on (future) children to have two parents that are LEOs. Also, I wonder if any federal LEOs have had problems getting stationed together or near each other. Before, it was just me and these were not concerns, but now that my life has changed I wonder how being a LEO will work into that.

We're both LEO's. There are others on this forum.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

We're both LEO. Our kids have excellent interview skills
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Ahh hah...there you are...didn't want to dime you off.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

We're both LEO with me being medically retired now. One of our kids, we have six, is now a detective and another one has gotten his degree and gone through the police academy, but not hired yet. One daughter is married to a LEO. It's all we know. Our kids walk the straight and narrow...and it's all they know. Piece of cake!
          Sleep well. There are people out there willing to die tonight so that you can wake up safe tomorrow.

Comment

Both LEO's as well. 5 kids, #1 son was a Deputy and after a year got fed up with the politics, #2 son just got hired at Sheriff's Office, #4 son wants to get into LE when he is of age....#3 son 18YOA is being an a**hole, and 8 YOA daughter is just like me so she has to die!

Comment

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.....

Sleep well. There are people out there willing to die tonight so that you can wake up safe tomorrow.

Comment

Were both LEO's...different agencies though. And we have kids. You can make anything work if you need to. I will admit that our situation is somewhat easier now, as I am assigned to the academy and she is a detective, so most of the time we both work day tour Mon through Fri. But we went through a stretch when I was in Traffic and rotated...you need a really understanding day care provider, which thankfully we have.

It can be done, trust me.
                Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful15 View Post
                  I am just wondering if there are any couples in law enforcement out there. My husband is a Federal LEO and I have been applying for an 1811 spot before I ever met him. Now that we are married and looking to start a family at some point in the future, I wonder what affect it would have on (future) children to have two parents that are LEOs. Also, I wonder if any federal LEOs have had problems getting stationed together or near each other. Before, it was just me and these were not concerns, but now that my life has changed I wonder how being a LEO will work into that.
                  I see your biggest issue with trying to be a fed will be the mobility agreement. Your husband is already a fed, so you know that they might force him to move at any moment. Meanwhile if you are not a fed yet, you may find that getting hired as an 1811 in the same city where your husband works will be difficult (unless you live in DC).

Let's say that you somehow get lucky and get on in the city where you both already live. Well what happens a couple of years down the line when the FBI/DEA/ATF/USSS suddenly says you are needed on the other side of the country?
                  Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

We both worked for my agency when we got together, now he works for another. It works great for us since we both always know where the other one is coming from when they are frustrated with/about the job or the people/things we deal with. We have a 4 yr old who understands more IVC violations that some of the officers who work at my agency and has the license plates of every family member and neighbor memorized.

At one time there were 7 married couples in my small (78 sworn) department. My husband and one of the wives left the department, so now we have 5. It’s very common in LE.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4773 users online. 283 members and 4490 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X