300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REMINDER: Is your will in order?

just one of those things that always seems to get put on the back burner. Each state is different, but for the fairly simple situations, most states will accept "canned" wills from several software programs.

http://www.software.com/list/34/pers...egal-software/

not to be insensitive, but with the work LEO's do, a living will or "Do Not Resuscitate" guideline identification should be considered.

talk to anyone that has dealt with a death in the family where a will wasn't established. not fun.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Absolutely....in this line of work ya never know.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder! Last time I updated my Will was about 2 years ago prior to going to combat. Alot has happened since then, I really need to get it updated. A Power Of Attorney would not be a bad idea either...
      Religion is flawed, because man is flawed.

Comment

Although I am not in Law Enforcement. Having a will is a good idea for everyone and anyone. Both of my parents have one and I think my dad wrote one up for me (yes,my dad is an attorney) but he is an Elder Law Lawyer.

Everyday you take a chance stepping out the door being in LE or not.
        "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
        Not Yet Visited: 16
        Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

We both have living wills done so that our kids don't have to make any heavy medical decisions that they have to fight over or feel guilty about for the rest of their lives. We decided we would make the decisions for them.
          Sleep well. There are people out there willing to die tonight so that you can wake up safe tomorrow.

Comment

a very good family friend of ours is the identified executor for our will. My wife's family and my family know him, and all our kids know and trust him; we wanted someone outside of the family to monitor the will and make sure everything went smooth, if it came to that.
            Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Make sure you talk to your kids (if you have them) and make sure that if both of you die, you have your kids with someone they like, and who you like.

Comment

Yep. Heard Dave Ramsey say that if you do not have a will, you just don't love your family.

Comment

VERY GOOD IDEA,let me give everyone a fer instance.100% true as it happened to me.
                  May 13,2001,day after mothers day,went home for lunch and was talking to my 47 y/o wife of 29 years,it was her day off,and I found her in bed at 1230,said she was feeling a little "flu-ish",had regular conversation,whats for dinner etc.Went back to work around 1315.Returned home at 1715,she was deceased,laying on the floor next to the bed.,never been in bad health in her life,gone.
                  Here is where the will part comes in,at 47 who needs a will right??we had raised our only daughter,married her off,finally had a lil extra cash.We were living in a trailer,and were finally able to buy a stick built home on 3 acres.We lived there a year and a half when she died,with no will.Under La. law,after succession,my daughter,now gets half of everything.
                  She has never spent a night under that roof,never laid a hand to help repair/remodel,never spent a penny on upkeep,yet when I sold it 4 years later she got half of the money,which was substantial as my wifes life insurance was used to pay it off,now heres the rub,had I not paid it off,my daughter would not be entitled to the insurance money..

Sorry this is so long: Also beware of the online/do it yourself wills.After this I went to Office Depot in Slidell,LA. and bought a will program for 50 bucks,went home and filled it out ,you know ,with ALL personal info etc,when I finally finished it a couple hours later,the very last thing was to "file" it at which time the program was kind enough to let me know it is NOT recognized in the state of La.What now???,I have a pretty piece of silver plastic,cant very well return it with all my info on it can I??Be sure your do it yourself will be accepted,an attorney can usually file a "simple" will for a coupla hundred bucks.
                  Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
                    VERY GOOD IDEA,let me give everyone a fer instance.100% true as it happened to me.
                    May 13,2001,day after mothers day,went home for lunch and was talking to my 47 y/o wife of 29 years,it was her day off,and I found her in bed at 1230,said she was feeling a little "flu-ish",had regular conversation,whats for dinner etc.Went back to work around 1315.Returned home at 1715,she was deceased,laying on the floor next to the bed.,never been in bad health in her life,gone.
                    Here is where the will part comes in,at 47 who needs a will right??we had raised our only daughter,married her off,finally had a lil extra cash.We were living in a trailer,and were finally able to buy a stick built home on 3 acres.We lived there a year and a half when she died,with no will.Under La. law,after succession,my daughter,now gets half of everything.
                    She has never spent a night under that roof,never laid a hand to help repair/remodel,never spent a penny on upkeep,yet when I sold it 4 years later she got half of the money,which was substantial as my wifes life insurance was used to pay it off,now heres the rub,had I not paid it off,my daughter would not be entitled to the insurance money..

Sorry this is so long: Also beware of the online/do it yourself wills.After this I went to Office Depot in Slidell,LA. and bought a will program for 50 bucks,went home and filled it out ,you know ,with ALL personal info etc,when I finally finished it a couple hours later,the very last thing was to "file" it at which time the program was kind enough to let me know it is NOT recognized in the state of La.What now???,I have a pretty piece of silver plastic,cant very well return it with all my info on it can I??Be sure your do it yourself will be accepted,an attorney can usually file a "simple" will for a coupla hundred bucks.
                    Sorry for your loss Mav Sad you had to be the one to find her, I don't know what I would have done if it was me.
                    In Memory of A Fallen Hero

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5890 users online. 309 members and 5581 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X