300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter wants ears pierced

I am willing to admit that I am a bit stubborn, sometimes maybe a bit unrealistic and even a bit archaic and behind the times. "Thing 1" has declared that she would like to get her ears pierced. She is only 7 years old and I feel that she should be a bit older so that she is better able to take care of them and won't be compelled to fiddle around with them. So in the interest of fairness I thought I would find out am I being a fuddy-duddy about being firm in telling her she has to wait until she is at least 10 years old?
    R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
    I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

My cousin, at 5, is convinced she needs her ears pierced. My aunt has told her that they need to wait to make sure she really wants her ears pierced before she gets them pierced. In other words, making sure its not just the most recent passing idea; demonstrated by continued interest for a good amount of time.

That being said, I like the 10 year limit.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the streets

Comment

I had to wait until I was 13, and I think that's a reasonable age to wait. You have to do a lot of follow-up, and keep things sanitized.
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Just think, if they get infected or she complains, you can always use the ole standby: "Told ya so"

Comment

I had to wait til i was 10, but that was many years ago of course.

I dont have kids - so i dont know what to tell ya - sorry.

Comment

Wait until she goes to college and gets her tongue pierced.
            "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

That sounds reasonable, waiting until 10. Those tend to heal over and need to get redone if they don't manage it properly. But then again, I'm also the overprotective type. Lord help any poor boy who tried to date my daughter if I have one. Each first date would require a requisite background check, frisk, and heart warming "talk" while I clean and polish my Winchester.

"Boy," I'd say. "Ain't this a nice gun? Pretty thing. You know how far away I can kill a man with this weapon? It's amazing how effective these things are, the man wouldn't even know I was watching him. Soooo...when're you going to have my daughter home by?"
              "If you have to justify to yourself, or others why what you're doing isn't wrong; it is."

Comment

Daughter in law let my grandaughter do hers at 5 yoa. What can I say, not my decision. Can't say if good or bad.
                "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

My GF has her belly button pierced, but refuses to get her ears done. She is 23.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                    Daughter in law let my grandaughter do hers at 5 yoa. What can I say, not my decision. Can't say if good or bad.
                    How did your granddaughter do with the piercing? Did she mess around with the earrings and try to take them out? My biggest concern is that she constantly fiddles with stuff without realizing it when she gets bored or when she's watching TV and that she will lose a back or accidentally take the earring out.

Like JB I had to wait until I was around ten so that I could "responsibly" take care of them.

Kieth M.

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Here is my experience:

I had my ears pierced when I was 8 years old. I did not take care of them properly, due to being 8 years old. When they got uncomfortable due to infection, I didn't want my mom touching them either, which made it worse.

Eventually we took them out and let the holes heal.

I got them re-pierced a few years later when I was better able to manage it and knew what to expect.

Tell her that it is going to hurt and be uncomfortable for a while, and make sure she understands that there is a lot of maintenance for a while during the time it takes your ears to get used to the metal. If she is willing to accept that, maybe she is mature enough to handle it. If she is squeamish about pain, she is probably not ready to deal with the responsibility, and you should probably make her wait until she is ten.

FYI, if she is against this idea of waiting, you might want to tell her some horror stories to try to discourage her from attempting to pierce her own ears with needles or safety pins... I didn't ever do it, but I definitely thought about it when I was very young.

Comment

I first got my ears pierced when I was 5. My mom took care of them so they never got infected. I got a second hole (so I had two holes in each ear and looked "punk") when I was 10. I took care of that and also never got an infection.

I don't see what the big deal is providing your daughter lets you or your wife clean her ear lobes.

Comment

I had to wait till 12, for the same reason you outlines. The follow up care, the turning and the cleaning.

I am now 38 and at one point had three holes, but now 2. I very rarely wear the earring thing but do at times.
                          If you do make sure that its new ear rings right out of the package, and that the "gun" is wiped down before and after each piercing.
                          ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                          Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by AuxNY View Post
                            I first got my ears pierced when I was 5. My mom took care of them so they never got infected. I got a second hole (so I had two holes in each ear and looked "punk") when I was 10. I took care of that and also never got an infection.

I don't see what the big deal is providing your daughter lets you or your wife clean her ear lobes.
                            LOL I am the wife and my husband will be deployed in Iraq with the rest of unit in the US Army.

Kieth M.

Comment

I know shes young, but maybe show pictures of what happens to young girls that get infected, and because they are young the body doesn't know how to fight the infections. when she insists NO! then you can say, come here, lets see what an infected picture looks like and google something up real quick and show her a pic.

if I was 7 and I saw an infected anything, im pretty sure i'd change my mind about it

unless she is stubborn like you, then I don't know

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11392 users online. 398 members and 10994 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X