300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A la James Carville and Mary Matalin

OK, if you know who they are - you know he's a Dem, and shes a Rep. I love them both... they're married (to each other), intelligent, outspoken, and i think they are just cool as he!!.

Do any of you have this kind of relationship... where you and your SO are more or less opposites in your political beliefs? If not, do you believe that this kind of relationship can work very often in Real Life?

I ask this question for a very good reason... LOL...

Last edited by Jellybean400; 09-19-2008, 06:44 PM.

I am amazed they get along, but they really do compliment one another. Some say Mrs Trooper and I are like this. To wit:
    • She is, like many women, pro-choice and as many of you know, I am not.
    • She is more middle road than Right wing - I cannot see the middle from my right hand side
    • She is book smart. I am ... uh ... street smart?
    • She is pretty. I am ugly.
    • As a school teacher, she is against school vouchers and "No Child Left Behind." I am for both - but we gingerly just leave that discussion alone.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

James feigns amuzement as Mary discusses what he once tried to convince her, was ... uh ... 10 inches!
      Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM.
      The All New
      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Well, that is good to know.

I do agree that they compliment each other... and i believe they said that they DONT discuss politics much at home. That's the only way i think i could do it. Because i really dont mind others having a differing view, and i do work to try to understand it. I just dont want to fight with someone i care about, knowing that neither of us will change our minds. It just wouldnt be worth it to get so angry with each other.

We've already had a couple discussions where we are willing to learn a bit about each other's "side" on a couple issues... such as guns and hunting, and hugging trees Well, we'll see...

Comment

Mrs. M. and I are two peas in a pod, politics-wise...in fact she's the kind who cried when Reagan died and took flowers to lay at graveside at his library.

Mrs. M. just kept ten y/o Devon Marie M. out of school and took her to see Sarah Palin in Golden, Co., last Monday. My wife gets far more political mailings than I do.
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

My S.O. and I were like this for quite some time..... until she got out of college and started working..... seriously. She told me straight out that she was a Liberal when we met. I took my chances and will never forget the day she came home all upset about the people who were abusing health-care and who refused to work.

Anywho, she's still for gay rights and is pro-choice. She has gotten me to lighten up a bit, but there are good reasons for my doing so. On most issues, she's mainly conservative nowadays.
            1*

Comment

Me and my s/o are opposites in many ways. Understanding the other side even if you don't agree seems to be the key as long as you can have spirited discourse and not take it personal.

Comment

Originally posted by katseiye View Post
                Me and my s/o are opposites in many ways. Understanding the other side even if you don't agree seems to be the key as long as you can have spirited discourse and not take it personal.
                Thanks, that's what i'm hoping.

Comment

Honestly, I couldn't do it. I know what I know. I could love the person but it would be hard to have a relationship with someone so far away from my core values. I wouldn't know what I would talk about with them. Conversation is a big one on my list of must haves. I could not be yoked to someone with such vastly differing views.

Differing hobbies, sports, even cultures would be great. But compatibility, spirituality and of course physical attraction are important aspects to my relationships.

Comment

I am a Bill Clinton/Ted Kennedy democrat. He is a Ronald Reagan republican. I am an attorney who does criminal defense work in a different county than he works. He is a police officer. We just celebrated our 5 th anniv.

Comment

I know one thing, i'd much RATHER be in a relationship with someone who agrees with my views. I was reminded of that recently. But we cant all have what we want, i guess.

I would be willing to try, but i like to discuss current issues, etc., and it's difficult if you dont see eye-to-eye on much of it at all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3401 users online. 214 members and 3187 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X