300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Trucks..

I was just curious if your department trains on CMV (commercial motor vehicle) enforcement, and what specifics do they teach? I've noticed in my travels theres a few smaller SO's and PD's who do some of their own enforcement, I always assumed that it was a state matter for specific enforcement on CMV's (ie: weight, permits, hours of service, etc). Also, what kind of experiences you guys have had with CMV's?
    ~nothing follows~

We do learn a little bit about commercial vehicle enforcement, but that's only because the guy who is our traffic FTO loves doing it. We stick mostly to the same violations we stop other traffic for (speed, equipment, what not). We have the same authority as DOT to do all enforcement, just not the equipment or knowledge.

Comment

Eh, not much. Placarding and what not, but nothing as far as log books, weight, etc.

If there's an issue, we'll call motor enforcement for an inspection. I very rarely stop commercial vehicles, as they tend to stay out of my beats.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

We also do some enforcement, and our traffic officers have received extra training in enforcing some of the commercial vehicle laws. We don't get into "log books", or hours of operation violations. For the most part we treat them like "big cars" subject to the same traffic laws as everyone else.

Like mentioned though, not many local departments actually have the scales, equipment, or knowledge to do a thorough inspection.

Comment

We, as patrolmen, really do not enforce CV laws. We have the MdTA for that (they are located right near us on I-95). Plus, we have 1 officer specifically assigned to work with them (MdTA's CVSU) in enforcing CV laws. I will only stop a truck if it has the same violations as any other vehicle. I do not focus on weight and all that j***.
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
          that we are all that stands between
          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Although the California Highway Patrol has designated Commercial Enforcement Officers - both at scale facilities and mobile road enforcement - all officers receive commercial training while in attendance at the academy.

The training addresses registration, lighting, loading, weights, brakes, trucks, tractors, trailers, semitrailers, hazmat, log books, driving hours, permitted loads, height, weight, etc.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

In IL only the IL State Police have the legal authority by statute to enforce MCS laws. Every Trooper receives the basic certification. As they get more time on the job and as training is available some will get Level II. A few others, mostly those Troops who are full haz mat certified, will get Level I.
              183 FBINA

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                In IL only the IL State Police have the legal authority by statute to enforce MCS laws. Every Trooper receives the basic certification. As they get more time on the job and as training is available some will get Level II. A few others, mostly those Troops who are full haz mat certified, will get Level I.
                This is very similar to Wyoming - Only State Troopers can enforce FMCS rules and regs by statute.

All Wyoming Troopers are required to do a minimum of 40 CVSA Level III (DOT) inpsections per year. Any Trooper who wants to go on to Level I & II certification is most always approved for the school, then must do 60 inspections a year. For extra pay, each division has a "Motor Carrier" Trooper who does 240 inspections a year, which brings base pay up to almost $5200 a month for the extra workload they take on. (Still must respond to calls and work crashes like all other Troopers)
                Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TGM View Post
                  For extra pay, each division has a "Motor Carrier" Trooper who does 240 inspections a year, which brings base pay up to almost $5200 a month for the extra workload they take on. (Still must respond to calls and work crashes like all other Troopers)
                  Nice deal- MCSAP (Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program) Troopers in Kansas have to do 650-700 inspections per year and there is no extra pay involved- though they do get to work Monday-Friday (everyone knows that trucks don't move on weekends!) In addition, all the other Master Troopers (7 years service +) have to maintain CVSA Level II certification and inspect at least 50 Level II trucks per year!
                  ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

We have a commercial enforcement officer..... and our motors will occasionally help out and make stops if we are having a certain issue or problem.

Comment

Originally posted by KAA951 View Post
                      Nice deal- MCSAP (Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program) Troopers in Kansas have to do 650-700 inspections per year and there is no extra pay involved- though they do get to work Monday-Friday (everyone knows that trucks don't move on weekends!) In addition, all the other Master Troopers (7 years service +) have to maintain CVSA Level II certification and inspect at least 50 Level II trucks per year!
                      Wow - suddenly 240 inspections a year sounds great!

Of course, you have to factor in our Wyoming winters - it's hard to do a Level I in a blizzard and the wheel chalks don't work on ice!
                      Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com
                      sigpic

Comment

No extra pay for our Troops. It's just part of the job. The hazmat guys do get a small bump but that's for their hazmat training and not the MCS training. The hazmat Troops work schedule depends on the district and how they want to deploy them.
                        We don't have a dept wide requirement for minimum number of inspections. Any minimum number is set at the district level. It depends on what degree of importance a particular district puts on MCS enforcement in their area, the amount of truck traffic, the type of truck traffic, and truck problems encountered.
                        183 FBINA

Comment

Whoa, I didn't expect so many answer's! Thanks alot. Some of the local PD's I've rode with don't really have anything in the way of training on trucks, they tend to treat a truck just the same as a another car which is kind of disappointing. Because in our rural area some of our farmers tend to use poor trucks riddled with violations but they are just passed over like any other truck/car on the road. Just to give you an example during peak farming seasons it's not difficult to find a truck over gross, on bald tires, missing proper safety equipment driven by an operator who isn't properly licensed. Which brings me to another question, what can an officer do with a truck like this out in the middle of the country? Does putting a reflective triangle on the back really get them around all of the safety rules?
                          ~nothing follows~

Comment

Originally posted by dangerstayback View Post
                            Whoa, I didn't expect so many answer's! Thanks alot. Some of the local PD's I've rode with don't really have anything in the way of training on trucks, they tend to treat a truck just the same as a another car which is kind of disappointing. Because in our rural area some of our farmers tend to use poor trucks riddled with violations but they are just passed over like any other truck/car on the road. Just to give you an example during peak farming seasons it's not difficult to find a truck over gross, on bald tires, missing proper safety equipment driven by an operator who isn't properly licensed. Which brings me to another question, what can an officer do with a truck like this out in the middle of the country? Does putting a reflective triangle on the back really get them around all of the safety rules?
                            Well speaking for SC, our Dept of Public Safety has a division specifically for CMV's, which is the State Transport Police, which is where I work. As for the farm trucks, here, they are exempt from certain things, including licensing requirements, both for the vehicle and the drivers, hours of service and other specific things, however, equipment requirements and safety equipment are all the same. Our problem here is that we don't have enough guys on the road to effectively enforce safety inspections and traffic on these trucks.

Here, we have the same authority as State Troopers, but we also enforce the federal law as it applies to CMV's. We sling handscales and they work the accidents. In the district where I work, we tag team with each other, meaning, if they get a truck they know is wrong, they'll give them to us and if they have a question about a truck as far as what they can cite them for, we let them know what they can cite for as a violation.

Here, we have to do at a minimum 10 level I inspections a month, and anytime a CMV is stopped, they get a cite for the infraction (I no longer issue warnings) and a level II or III inspection.

I've heard that some officers don't like dealing with them because they are a PITA to stop without them getting stuck or tipping over (which has happened). I personally have followed a truck for more than 20 miles to make a case because I could see that it was a rolling wreck and needed a safe spot to give it a full inspection.
                            DRE - ARIDE - TRAFFIC SAFETY OFFICER CERTIFIED - FTO - BACKGROUND INVESTIGATOR

DEDICATED TO REMOVING UNSAFE DRIVERS AND VEHICLES FROM SOUTH CAROLINA ROADWAYS

#FridayLightsForSafety #TargetZeroSC

Follow STP on Twitter @STP_CRO

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post

ISPCAPT: Do you mean only the ISP has the legal authority to enforce MCS laws on the interstate? Because I could've sworn there are local PD's that enforce MCS laws on roads that run through their towns.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4883 users online. 282 members and 4601 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X