300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amber Lights Allowed?

I have a question regarding lights and Florida.

I have an ex-police car. It is totally stripped (even the spotlight) except it has a half light stick in the drivers visor and a full light stick in the rear deck.

Both are amber only lights. All of the blue and red lights have been stripped out.

The question is, can the amber lights be installed if not used on the highway?

I want to keep the amber lights for three reasons:

1. I don't want the ugly cutouts in the window tint.

2. I like the fact that it looks like a police car. I have no intentions of "playing cop" or trying to pull anyone over or any of that nonsense. I have a job I am quite happy with, I'll leave policing to the experts. I find that it is actually safer. Cars no longer cut me off, tailgate me, weave in and out of traffic around me and I am always waved in where there is traffic. The driving experience is far different, and safer, than in my wife's Jetta.

3. The amber lights are actually useful if pulled over. Much brighter than just the hazards.

I am clear that:

1. No blue lights. Period.

2. Any red lights must face rearward.

That said, the amber light issue is unclear. I emailed FHP but they only sent a copy of the statutes, which I already read.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Then read the statute...it probably specifies who is allowed to use amber lights and under what conditions. If you aren't specified, then chances are, it is a violation.
    My posts are sometimes educated, sometimes informed, and sometimes blowing smoke...but they are mine and mine alone and do not reflect on anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjb View Post
      Then read the statute...it probably specifies who is allowed to use amber lights and under what conditions. If you aren't specified, then chances are, it is a violation.
      There are several paragraphs citing exceptions that are allowed to use, blue, red and amber lights on the highway, and then this paragraph:

(7) Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway or except that the lamps authorized in subsections (1), (2), (3), (4), and (9) and s. 316.235(5) are permitted to flash.

I am pretty good at reading, but this has me a little confused... it does not look like a prohibition against having the lights installed, just a prohibition on using them on the highway.

However, I have been told that it is prohibited to have them installed at all, and that they may be installed but not used.

If it is helpful, I can post the full statue here.
      Last edited by HeadonaStick; 08-05-2008, 05:31 PM. Reason: Spelling and editing a sentence

Comment

Originally posted by HeadonaStick View Post
        There are several paragraphs citing exceptions that are allowed to use, blue, red and amber lights on the highway, and then this paragraph:

(7) Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway or except that the lamps authorized in subsections (1), (2), (3), (4), and (9) and s. 316.235(5) are permitted to flash.

I am pretty good at reading, but this has me a little confused... it does not look like a prohibition against having the lights installed, just a prohibition on using them on the highway.

However, I have been told that it is prohibited to have them installed at all, and that they may be installed but not used.

If it is helpful, I can post the full statue here.
        That simply says that you may use "Flashing lights" to indicate a turn, change lanes or if you are disabled on or at the side of the road. The rest of it supports that those vehicles addressed in subsection (1), (2), (3), (4) and (9) may use flashing lights for other than turns, lane changes and parked at the side of the road. Those subsection address law enforcement, fire and ambulances which, as we all know, respond with flashing lights and sirens.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

You have to check Florida law. The laws on this are not uniform.

Chances are that it is legal to have those lights; otherwise, they would have been removed along with the red and blue. The circumstances under which you may use them is another issue. A lot of those cars are bought by security companies, and there could be some special provision relating to them.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

There's an older chap here in VA who drives an ex-police car. It's a 2001 Crown Vic - freshly repainted white in color, still has the factory spotlight but without any exterior markings at all. He does security work, I believe, and the car is equipped with amber strobe lights. He has them installed in the rear window deck and next to the rear-view mirror at the top of the windshield. Yes, he's also decked it out with a push bar and several VHF antennae on the roof and the trunk. He has the regular civilian blue-on-white license tags. His windows are tinted (probably illegal or very close to being so), but he may have purchased the car at auction that way.

I have passed him on Route 28 in both Fairfax & Loudon Counties, and have caught a glimpse of his uniform. While he probably "freaks out" some people when he drives up behind them, I won't say that he's a squirrel, impersonator or a poser. When I saw him, he was in uniform (black pants & white shirt) and even had his hat sitting on the rear shelf. He was only doing 45 to 50 in a 55 mph zone and a lot of people were apparently afraid to pass him.

He may have been employed by a private security firm for a mall or something. Those "mall cops" always run amber lights and will often leave them on whenever they are just driving around the parking lot. Amber lights are legal for them -- as well as for tow trucks, cable TV vans, road service vehicles, snowplows or nearly any other type of slow-rolling "utility" vehicle.

As others have said, it may not be having the amber lights that may cause trouble; but using them improperly could raise some hackles.

P.S. I would bet that the security guy probably has some 'magnetic decals' that he can apply to his car before starting his shift; and then he removes them before going home.
            Last edited by VA Dutch; 08-10-2008, 02:23 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Ok in alabama the only way to have blue is to be one of us then only on your patrol car unless the Alabama Director of Public Safety or municipal Police Chief where you work authorizes you to have them for call out purpose etc.
              Same goes for red lights we still have a lotta volunteer firefighters going to calls using red light its ok if they get above said permission. It is ok to use red lights to the rear as warning devices so there is a loophole.
              Clear lights may also used as warning lights same as amber.
              Most security companies in this area use Amber, Clear, Green, or i've seen some in Montgomery using red on the rear.
              But in State of Alabama as I interpret (not neccesarily agree) a civillian can drive with amber and clear flashing front/rear and red flashing to the rear.
              "There is no such thing as too much force to soon" Officer Bumper Morgan

Comment

You can have the amber lights in your car. You can use them as you would your hazard lights, while stopped, off the roadway, to warn of a possible hazard to other traffic passing you. Do not use them if you get pulled over. It will distract/blind (depending on day/night) the officer and draw unwanted attention to your equipment and use of same.

Comment

Plus in my case it would **** me off and I would then cite ya
                  "There is no such thing as too much force to soon" Officer Bumper Morgan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5802 users online. 332 members and 5470 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X