300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding in a Work Zone in Indiana

Greetings all! I just did a search and found 1 thread on this but did not find anyone asking the question that I have.

I had just started by normal bi-weekly trip to Cincinnati from Indianapolis in a rental car. Heading down 465 south starting at MM 44 the speed limit drops to 45 for a work zone. After the work zone sign, there was a van, then a state trooper hiding right behind the van. I was flowing with traffic like usual on 465 except I was in the far left lane to avoid other traffic. Anyone that knows 465, people always speed and always do multiple lane switches on the fly. Kinda of dangerous. Anyways the trooper clocked me at 66mph as I passed him by which I had just started putting on my brakes after I passed the sign and saw him so I hadn't slowed down at all when he clocked me. This is my first speeding ticket...the only other thing that I have on my record is a seat belt violation a few years back from when I went to IU (darn seatbelt checkpoint lol)

My question is this...I have to call the prosecutors office for the ticket. How will everything work? Do I get to plead my case? Do I have to go in front of a judge? Is there any way of getting a deferral on this being my first offense? I know that the new law has passed which makes it a stricter fine but is there anything that I can do in this situation? Any advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

If you are cited with workzone speed then thats what it is- its one of thos enew laws that is being cracked down, so as such there will be enhanced penaltie$ as opposed to your standard speeding. I cant vouch for the area but I doubt it gets pled.
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Originally posted by ScottieIUFan View Post

How will everything work?
      The fine will be set based on the number of times you've been caught speeding in a work zone. You will have the option of paying it or requesting a court date.

Do I get to plead my case?
      If you elect to get a court date, yes.

Do I have to go in front of a judge?
      No, its optional, but if you wish to plead your case you will have to go in front of the judge.

Is there any way of getting a deferral on this being my first offense?
      Regular speeding, yes. You can pay the fine and receive "safe driver diversion" which means you don't get the points on your license. Work site speeding is not eligible for safe driver.

I know that the new law has passed which makes it a stricter fine but is there anything that I can do in this situation? Any advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.
      Your best bet is to pay the fine and chalk it up to experience. If you were speeding in the work zone a court date isn't going to help you and the traffic court judge in Indy can and does increase fines at traffic court if people waste his time or insult his intelligence. If you really can't afford the fine I would normally say to tell the prosecutor that and she may work something out with you, but its really tough on the work zone tickets because of the new state legislation setting the fine table.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4940 users online. 298 members and 4642 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X