300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No police report?

Hey guys my Aunt wanted me to ask this question that incident happened to her but doesnt know why the police acted this way.

My Aunt was driving through the post office parking lot and got rear-ended by an older lady. My Aunt called the police but the dispatcher said that police cannot be dispatched to government property (or something like that, I forgot what she said the dispatcher said). So with months gone by they finally found out that both parties were not at fault so they had to pay out of their own pocket for the damage. But I believe that with a police report would definetely found someone responsible for this accident.

My question is does any police officer know why exactly the police cannot be dispatched to the post office I think that would be a place for sure a police officer can go and do a police report.

Thanks in advance, guys!

BE SAFE

The almighty police report! Insurance companies have their own investigators for situations like that. It's possible since the police in your area do not have jurisdiction on private property or federal property they didn't even send a unit because they knew it was non-reportable. I wish our department worked that way. We go to calls all the time where nothing applies to our enforcement.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Amen! x2.....
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

FWIW, in my state some departments will not even write a report for a crash on the city streets unless someone is injured.

What it comes down to is that the public is no longer willing to pay for doing something that is the insurance company's responsibility.

I am surprised that the insurance companies found both drivers at fault for a rear end crash. Absent other circumstances, the striking vehicle is usually regarded as having been driven at an unsafe speed for conditions and the one at fault.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

U.S. Post Offices are the property of the Federal Government and incidents or accidents that occur thereon are under the investigative authority of the FBI. However, unless there is a fatality or major injury, they will not respond.

The proper method to handle private property, damage only, accidents or incidents is to exchange information with the other party and submit that, along with a statement if occurrence, to their respective insurance companies. The insurance companies will work it out and determine fault for the purposes of coverage.

Except for deductibles, no money should come out of either parties' pocket - unless they are the at-fault party and uninsured.

That said, a lot of agencies will dispatch an officer simply to keep the peace and answer any questions that either party may have.
          Last edited by SgtCHP; 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Sounds like a private property, property damage accident. Alot of departments give people the report to fill out themselves to be turned in to their insurance companies.
            "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

Comment

Police reports don't assign fault. A traffic crash is, for the most part, a civil matter between drivers and insurance companies. In a simple property damage crash like you describe a report will have zero benefit for either driver. What it will do, at least in Indiana, is put a crash on your BMV records, create additional paperwork for you, and generate a fee for the state (as all crash reporting is now on computer and local/county departments can't give out crash reports now.)

Major crashes, injuries above "ow my neck", impaired drivers, uninsured parties, those types of crashes may require a report. Parking lot fender benders should exchange information and go on their way.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

For PDO accidents, we use an Accident Exchange Form, where basically, the drivers switch their information with each other, and they settle it between their insurance companies. All we do is write the forms out for the drivers and give them their IR numbers. That's it.
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

As has been noted, many departments,(mine included) will not respond to the type accident you mentioned.

Comment

Echo whatr everyone said above.
                    A police crash report DOES NOT PROVE ANYTHING, usually.
                    We didnt witness it and all we do is write what driver A said, and what driver B said.
                    Plus being a non-reportable crash AND on federal property, the answer was given to you by the dispatcher.
                    I got nothing for now

Comment

If I get called to it, if on the post office parking lot, it'll be non reportable (ie: no accident report). I'll help with exchange of information as needed. I'll charge if I think the violation serious enough.

from 46.2-100
                      "Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel in the Commonwealth, including the streets and alleys, and, for law-enforcement purposes, (i) the entire width between the boundary lines of all private roads or private streets that have been specifically designated "highways" by an ordinance adopted by the governing body of the county, city, or town in which such private roads or streets are located and (ii) the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place used for purposes of vehicular travel on any property owned, leased, or controlled by the United States government and located in the Commonwealth
                      Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 07-24-2008, 11:19 PM.
                      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Thank you guys for all your expertise.

Comment

Private property - as long as it's not a hit & run, drunk driver or a fatal, nobody gets sent. Well, actually there is another exception depending on where the crash occurs. In the aisle of a parking lot, it's not reportable, but in the trafficway that goes into the lot, it's reportable.
                          Last edited by NBW791; 07-25-2008, 11:59 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                            For PDO accidents, we use an Accident Exchange Form, where basically, the drivers switch their information with each other, and they settle it between their insurance companies. All we do is write the forms out for the drivers and give them their IR numbers. That's it.
                            We call it a blue form here... and if the damage is under $1000 and no one was hurt, that's all your getting, even if it's in the middle of a highway. No report number, no CRB-3 (The real report form), nothing.
                            sigpic
                            Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

The responses here are really surprising to me. WHP will investigate any crash on private property if the damage is over $1000. Most Troopers will also complete a crash report if total damage is under $1000 if requested by one party involved, but that depends on the Trooper.

I just worked a crash on private property this week, a fire truck backed into a sheriff dept patrol SUV - well over $1000 in damage (to the patrol car, not a scratch on the Fire Truck )
                              Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4759 users online. 254 members and 4505 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X