300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed limit on I-17 Phx AZ

I don't drive in cities very often, but occasionally I have to drive through Phoenix. I am very careful about driving the speed limit. Tickets are just way to expensive for me. The question I have is about driving in high traffic areas like I-17 in Phoenix. the speed limit ranges from 55 to 65 through the city, but the last time I drove on it, people were flying past me, and I felt I was actually being a danger, so I pulled off and drove the surface streets instead.
    What should I have done? Should I drive the same speed as all the other people, or drive the speed limit in the right lane, or was I right to use the surface streets instead? Which BTW scared me almost as bad. I have to drive through Phoenix again later this week and through Tucson as well so advice would be great. Thanks.
    "This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper." -- TS Eliot the Hollow Men

Speed limit on I-17 from the Split (where it starts in South/Central Phx ) is 55mph, when you travel northbound, it jumps to 65mph at Peoria Avenue. Drive safely and be wary of the traffic around you. Taking the 10 eastbound towards Tucson shouldn't be as bad, with the amount of construction going on in the Tucson area, at most times, there won't be much of an oppurtunity for people to speed. I've been down there three times in the last week ( with another trip there on Wednesday ) and all we do is sit in traffic.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Thank you, so I am ok if I drive the speed limit instead of what everyone else does right? I know it sund kind of silly but if you know any accountants you know we are kind of OCD about things.

I don't know how you all handle driving those roads everyday. Stay safe.
      "This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper." -- TS Eliot the Hollow Men

Comment

you will always be safe doing the speed limit in the right most lane, going with the flo of traffic there is always a risk of getting a speeding ticket. Doing the speed limit in the left lanes there is also a chance of getting a ticket for impeeding the flo of traffic. Yes it's a "catch 22" sorta kinda.
        Please understand that the speed limits are determined and posted by surveys and engineers that designed roads. And you will always have a knucklehead that feels "speed limits do not apply to me". drive safely.

Comment

Originally posted by 2wheeldep View Post
          Doing the speed limit in the left lanes there is also a chance of getting a ticket for impeeding the flo of traffic.
          You have gotta be kidding me- I can't imagine any court upholding a ticket for impeding traffic when someone is going the posted speed limit. I know in my area it would end with a not guilty verdict- a loss of all respect from our judges for that officer and probably agency discipline (enjoy driving that desk on 3rd shift Bubba).

I can't see any professional officer issuing someone a ticket for impeding traffic at the speed limit!
          ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

In Ca and every state I have driven in there are plenty of signs indicating "slower traffic keep right". The violation is 21461a cvc failing to obey traffic sign. It has nothing to do with the speed of the vehicle, it's causing a traffic hazard by driving slower than the flow of traffic in the left lanes. And no, you would not be disciplined by the department nor would a judge dismiss the violation.
            Most speedometers or off by 1-5 mph, which could cause a motorist to actually be drive slower than the actual speed limit. And no, I've never cited for this violation but my sister motors have.
            Imagine you have a motorist driving in the number one lane (lane closest to the center) doing 65 mph, according to his speedo, in a posted 65 mph zone, but his speedo is 5 mph off he's actually doing 60 mph. Now you have the motorist whose speedo is right on 65 at 65 (Oh yea, in LA we have freeways with six lanes in both directions) the motorist who is actually driving under the speed limit, although his speedo indicates 65 mph, becomes a very big traffic hazard.
            5 mph does not seem like much, but now ram another veh with a veh at "freeway speeds" and see how many veh's end up being involved. Glad I'm not CHP lol.
            Yes, it happens in LA at least once a week.
            Welcome to Los Angeles

Comment

Originally posted by 2wheeldep View Post
              you will always be safe doing the speed limit in the right most lane, going with the flo of traffic there is always a risk of getting a speeding ticket. Doing the speed limit in the left lanes there is also a chance of getting a ticket for impeeding the flo of traffic. Yes it's a "catch 22" sorta kinda.
              Please understand that the speed limits are determined and posted by surveys and engineers that designed roads. And you will always have a knucklehead that feels "speed limits do not apply to me". drive safely.

One should always "keep to the right" unless passing -- regardless of speed. Not only is it safer - you run lesk risk of someone tailagating you, but it is simply an act of what we used to call common courtesy.

If someone wants to go faster than I am driving, I move over and let 'em pass me by. Officer Friendly will have a chat with them if they are truly speeding.

Maybe CA is different, but here in VA you are actually 'dangerous' if you are only driving the posted 65-mph limit in the far-left lane.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3784 users online. 259 members and 3525 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X