Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front license plate question between states

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Front license plate question between states

    Just curious, my state(PA) doesn't require a front license plate on my vehicles as I understand it. Can this be a violation in another state that requires their own residents to use front plates? Say I drive to NJ which requires this, could this be a ticket waiting if someone REALLY wanted to break my stones?

  • #2
    NO.... The V&T registration laws in your state apply.
    Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
    Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

    Comment


    • #3
      In texas, I can not give you a citation for no front plate if you are from another state. Texas does require you to have a front plate on the vehicle but if you are from a state that does not require then you are fine. You might get pulled over until the officer observes that the back plate is not from texas and then sent on your way.
      -GOD CREATED POLICE OFFICERS SO THAT FIRE FIGHTERS COULD HAVE HEROES TOO!-

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you for your quick responses gentlemen.

        Comment


        • #5
          Here in So. CA we see lots of Arizona cars - no front plate requirement in AZ, but there is in CA. Most CA cops know about AZ plate laws, but there are 48 other states that we may or may not know if it is required. So basically, you can be stopped for no front plate in CA. If your state does not require a front plate - and the officer knows this - you will be on your way once he/she figures that out. However, if the officer does not know about your state's code requirements, he/she can still issue you the cite - and best not to argue - you will be able to get it dismissed easy enough after the fact. If you do a lot of interstate driving, I might suggest keeping a printout of the Vehicle Code section from your state with your registration - that way the officer can have a reference and make a more informed decision.

          One small department I worked for actually took the time to make a list of all the states & their plate requirements and gave us each a copy - don't know why we don't all do this, would save a lot of time on both sides.
          LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm from Florida and we don't require front plates, however I know that Texas does. If I see a car with a rear Texas plate, but not a front one, I'll pull it over.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StudChris View Post
              I'm from Florida and we don't require front plates, however I know that Texas does. If I see a car with a rear Texas plate, but not a front one, I'll pull it over.
              That's a cheap stop. I wouldn't want to get into that practice personally.

              Comment


              • #8
                A state that borders mine requires that all pickup trucks display their tag on the front and nothing on the rear. We are constantly stopping them for not displaying any registration and then kicking them loose.

                A few years ago I dealt with an officer in who worked near our border in that state who was stopping our residents visiting his state and telling them they had to move their license plate to the front of their pickups!
                ---Cut the red wire---

                Comment


                • #9
                  I understand this differently. My understanding is that I cannot enforce MV Reg. from other states. Nor can I enforce DL requirements. For instance, I cannot tag a WI car with no front plate, becouse it's required in MN. Also I cannot enforce registration. If you do not have currnet tags on your car from another state I cannot enforce your states laws.

                  Just as if I stop a WI driver who is revoked in that state, I cannot tag them for DAR, I would tag them for NO MN DL, becouse they do not have a valid license in any state.

                  I could be wrong on this so please correct me, but I can't see how our courts would prosicute you for a law from another state. This also aplies in MN to tinted windows, I can't tag out of state plates for MN's tinted window law.

                  Mabey it's just the way our laws are written here. Based on above responses, kind of confused myself now. Thanks for that!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Could the same thing be said about inspection stickers where required?

                    If an officer in VA stops a car with an expired PA or NY inspection sticker, under what infraction could they cite them? Would it even hold up in court as a valid stop if something else were found? (Think of the "fruit from the poisonous tree" lecture you had during the academy.)


                    There are so many laws and regulations that vary from state to state, but violating one in your home state may not stick while "on the road" elsewhere.

                    When I was a deputy, I recall pulling someone over for a burned-out tail light. He was military - staioned here, but from out of state. His inspection had been 'dead' for about a month, so I let them know that he needed to take care of it next time he was home. {Obviously, a service station in VA is not able to issue stickers/decals for other states.}

                    Everything else checked out okay, so he went away with a warning.

                    The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

                    The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

                    ------------------------------------------------

                    "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wooddog View Post
                      I understand this differently. My understanding is that I cannot enforce MV Reg. from other states. Nor can I enforce DL requirements. For instance, I cannot tag a WI car with no front plate, becouse it's required in MN. Also I cannot enforce registration. If you do not have currnet tags on your car from another state I cannot enforce your states laws.

                      Just as if I stop a WI driver who is revoked in that state, I cannot tag them for DAR, I would tag them for NO MN DL, becouse they do not have a valid license in any state.

                      I could be wrong on this so please correct me, but I can't see how our courts would prosicute you for a law from another state. This also aplies in MN to tinted windows, I can't tag out of state plates for MN's tinted window law.

                      Mabye it's just the way our laws are written here. Based on above responses, kind of confused myself now. Thanks for that!!!
                      You are correct about the driver's license. If they are revoked in 49 states, but not yours, they just are NO DL. Revoked is only within a certain state. When you have a valid DL and then you become revoked in another state, that is a little confusing and may vary state to state.

                      As for the vehicle license, if their license plate registration is not current out of another state. Damn straight you can enforce that. If they are not current in another state, they are not considered current in your state. That is just like the driver's license. If their license is cancelled somewhere else, they are no license for you too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wooddog View Post
                        I understand this differently. My understanding is that I cannot enforce MV Reg. from other states. Nor can I enforce DL requirements. For instance, I cannot tag a WI car with no front plate, becouse it's required in MN. Also I cannot enforce registration. If you do not have currnet tags on your car from another state I cannot enforce your states laws.

                        Just as if I stop a WI driver who is revoked in that state, I cannot tag them for DAR, I would tag them for NO MN DL, becouse they do not have a valid license in any state.

                        I could be wrong on this so please correct me, but I can't see how our courts would prosicute you for a law from another state. This also aplies in MN to tinted windows, I can't tag out of state plates for MN's tinted window law.

                        Mabey it's just the way our laws are written here. Based on above responses, kind of confused myself now. Thanks for that!!!
                        Actually, if a car comes into your state with an expired registration, you write him for an unregistered vehicle and the same goes for insurance. Expired=unregistered no matter where he is.

                        In New York, if your state requires that your vehicle be inspected and it's not, we can write you for it in our state. The DMV Commissioner can force you to have the vehicle inspected in such instances.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DeputyZee View Post
                          You are correct about the driver's license. If they are revoked in 49 states, but not yours, they just are NO DL. Revoked is only within a certain state. When you have a valid DL and then you become revoked in another state, that is a little confusing and may vary state to state.
                          Not completely true. In KS if you are suspended or revoked in any state your also considered to be suspended or revoked in KS. Here in VT it is just a NO DL ticket though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DH21187 View Post
                            Actually, if a car comes into your state with an expired registration, you write him for an unregistered vehicle and the same goes for insurance. Expired=unregistered no matter where he is.

                            In New York, if your state requires that your vehicle be inspected and it's not, we can write you for it in our state. The DMV Commissioner can force you to have the vehicle inspected in such instances.

                            Thank you, I was just about to post this of NY VT laws
                            IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

                            "In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
                            -----Louis Pasteur

                            "Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

                            -------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

                            On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

                            ------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              VT, I had never heard of a state that does it that way. I like it though, wish we did it.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3740 users online. 241 members and 3499 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X