300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between FHP and FDOT?

Well, I just saw something I've never seen before today: Two FDOT (Florida Department of Transportation, I think?) cruisers parked together. I rarely see the FDOT cruisers out and about in general, and the few times I have, it's only one and he's usually driving along with traffic. Once in a while, I'll see one with someone pulled over but I've never seen two together.

On the other hand, I see Florida Highway Patrol out and about and "camping" spots on highways for speeders pretty regularly - sometimes in pairs, sometimes even in packs.

So, what exactly is FDOT's job on the road? How does it differ from FHP? These two were parked like they were having a car-to-car conversation, or maybe even just camping, but in the few times that I have seen an FDOT cruiser pull a vehicle over, it's almost if not always been a semi.
    "I'm not afraid of loving my enemies...
    I honestly want peace with you.
    But when you come against my country,
    When you come against my family,
    You try to destroy my people,
    I can't just stand by...
    I am coming, and if I come, then
    Pain is coming with me!"

They work Commercial vehicles mostly but can stop others.

Comment

Just a wild guess, but I suspect that your Florida DOT folks are used for commercial vehicle enforcement. That might be why you saw one of those chaps pulled over behind a semi. If you see them parked at a scale house, then you'll know for sure.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I see them all the time on the 528 (Beachline)

They usually nab the big rigs for loose loads and such (gravel trucks, dump trucks, etc.)

From what I've heard, they have the authority to bust you on any vehicle infraction, but usually only hassle commercial vehicles....

Although, I do have a buddy that was issued a citation for driving with drag radials on his car

Even though they're DOT approved and clearly marked, the officer just said "tell it to the judge"

It was thrown out, but a big waste of time...

Comment

Originally posted by Iszi View Post
          Well, I just saw something I've never seen before today: Two FDOT (Florida Department of Transportation, I think?) cruisers parked together. I rarely see the FDOT cruisers out and about in general, and the few times I have, it's only one and he's usually driving along with traffic. Once in a while, I'll see one with someone pulled over but I've never seen two together.

On the other hand, I see Florida Highway Patrol out and about and "camping" spots on highways for speeders pretty regularly - sometimes in pairs, sometimes even in packs.

So, what exactly is FDOT's job on the road? How does it differ from FHP? These two were parked like they were having a car-to-car conversation, or maybe even just camping, but in the few times that I have seen an FDOT cruiser pull a vehicle over, it's almost if not always been a semi.
          They are State Law Enforcement Officers. Their main duty is enforcing motor carrier compliance law (commercial vehicles).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3645 users online. 173 members and 3472 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X