300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastest speeder ever caught?

my friend told me the other day that he hit 135 mph on the highway! I told him that if he got caught, the police officer would arrest him. He told me that you can't get arrested for speeding and that no officer would bother pulling him over at that speed.

i want to prove him wrong - if he were going 135 mph, what would be the penalty? (given he has a clean record) and would an officer really not try and pull him over?

example: say he drove past a speed trap - would the officer just let him go considering the time it would take to catch up etc or what?

p.s this took place in western MA, if there are any officers on this forum from that area

thanks!
    Last edited by saabx; 09-15-2007, 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling error

I caught a guy on a motorcycle doing 117 MPH, he gave up when he couldn't shake me on the side streets.

It's tough catching someone at 135 MPH or even 117 MPH especially if your at a dead stop doing radar, but not impossible. Tell your buddy that he can't out run the radio. And If I had caught him he would have a stack of tickets and a free pass to the county jail. More than likely the judge would suspend his license or give him a conditional, pay a hefty fine and maybe weekends in jail.

Comment

California......speed over 100mph by itself is an infraction

22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a
      person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit
      established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater
      than that speed limit.
      (b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
      greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction
      punishable, as follows:
      (1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by
      a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may
      also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle

for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.

If any of the driving during that high speed is considered reckless (which it usually is because people driving 135mph are also usually making illegal lane changes, etc) then it is a misdemeanor.

23103. (a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway in
      willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is
      guilty of reckless driving.
      (b) Any person who drives any vehicle in any offstreet parking
      facility, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12500, in willful
      or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty
      of reckless driving.
      (c) Persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be
      punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days
      nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred
      forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars

($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, except as provided
      in Section 23104.

I have cited multiple drivers for speed over 100mph, had 3 of them fight it in court and I won all 3. I WILL go after someone driving that fast as long as it does not jeopordize other motorists or my safety to the point that catching the violator is not worth it.

PS....your friend is an idiot for driving at that speed...please educate him before he kills somoene and ends up going to prison.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koenigsegg_CCR

During its review of the CCR's successor, the CCX, BBC television program Top Gear reported that the Koenigsegg CCR holds the fastest speeding ticket in the United States, which allegedly occurred in May 2003 in Texas. It was supposedly 242 mph (389 km/h) in a 75-mph zone. The car was involved in the San Francisco to Miami Gumball 3000 Rally. The driver, Arthur Chirkinian, was arrested and the car towed. His co-driver paid his bail and they retrieved the car from impound. While trying to catch up to the other gumballers the driver noticed smoke from the engine and his oil pressure was low. He pulled over to find his oil cap had gone "missing" while it was impounded. Arthur Chirkinian hitched a ride to the local Volkswagen dealership where he purchased a brand new Volkswagen Beetle and drove it to where his CCR was parked. He filled the CCR back up with oil and took the oil cap off the Beetle and put it on the CCR as that is the only oil cap that would fit his car. He then took off in hopes of catching everyone else, leaving a brand new Beetle on the side of the road with the doors unlocked and the key still in it. He caught up to the pack later that night in New Orleans[

Comment

Got one at 115 in a 35. Lucky for me I was about half a mile ahead of the radar unit. He wanted me to cut him a break
          Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Comment

Your friend is stupid. Hopefully the day he wrecks doing 135mph when his skin is tore off his face and his skull looks like someone dropped a light bulb on the cement, he doesn't injure anyone else.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

Comment

The Minnesota State Patrol caught a motorcyclist doing 204 mph in 2004. He got arrested, as will likely be the case with your friend when he gets caught (and it's not "if," but "when"). In most jurisdictions, anything close to what your friend was bragging about would justify a charge of reckless driving, if not something worse. And many jurisdictions classify traffic offenses as misdemeanors, meaning that the officer has the option to arrest if he sees fit. If I was the officer, that decision would be a slam-dunk. Your friend, and his driver's license, are living on borrowed time.
              Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees View Post
                The Minnesota State Patrol caught a motorcyclist doing 204 mph in 2004. He got arrested, as will likely be the case with your friend when he gets caught (and it's not "if," but "when"). In most jurisdictions, anything close to what your friend was bragging about would justify a charge of reckless driving, if not something worse. And many jurisdictions classify traffic offenses as misdemeanors, meaning that the officer has the option to arrest if he sees fit. If I was the officer, that decision would be a slam-dunk. Your friend, and his driver's license, are living on borrowed time.
                your right on tim.. i do believe its reckless driving in colorado... and you can and will lose your license. troopers here are all over the place and if they don't have a problem ticketing law enforcment... they sure in heck won't pass up an idiot flying down the roads!

Comment

This guy thought he could get away. Unfortunately his passenger didn't have a choice.

http://www.10news.com/news/13355695/detail.html

Comment

146 in a 55. Brand new BMW and he wanted to see how fast it would run. I didn't even try to pull out on him. Another unit grabbed him several miles up the freeway after he lost his nerve. He was a nice guy and at least honest. He only got the speeding ticket - 146 in a 55.

Comment

In SC over 100 anywhere is easily reckless driving. Normally anyone going 25mph over the limit will get reckless. If traffic is congested sometimes under 25 will get you reckless. In SC it is 6 points of your available 12 points and about $500. 9 times out of 10 the vehicle is towed and defendant off to jail.

Comment

162 is the fastest I caught. It was my first hour on FTO and we had a pursuit, the guy admitted to 162 mph, then his tire went flat and dumped the bike.

Anyways he got 3 years in Prison because of his speeds and going through a school zone at over 100 mph got him felony endangerment, and he tried to hit an officer so he got Aggravated assault on a police officer.

But if it was just that speed, You will get caught, you will be arrested, you car will be towed, and depending on traffic you will get reckless driving and possibly endangerment charges...but hey, that's just me!
                        "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

133? It was the low 130's. Can't remember what kind of car it was, but he earned the matching bracelets.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I honestly don't remember what my fastest was. I don't run radar all that often.

If he was booking out on a wide open highway with no other traffic in view, then I would probably hit him with the misdemeanor reckless and let him roll. Speed itself is not dangerous IMHO and if some fool wants to spread himself on the highway like butter, then I will be happy pickup the pieces so as to spare the gene pool from further contamination.

If he was driving anything less than a supercar he would be toast. We can get cars anywhere on the bypass or highway fairly quickly and a "pursuit" call from us bring units from the adjoining counties on line and moving in our direction.

A Sportbike may, or may not be able to get away. The irony of it is that most sportbike riders that flee, do not ride that well and end up in a body bag if they don't give up.
                            Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 09-16-2007, 04:30 PM.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3420 users online. 209 members and 3211 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X