• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I considered a red light runner?

Hi, all officers.
    I have a quick question.

When the traffic light turn red, AT THAT MOMENT,
    my vehicle's front wheels already passed the solid white line, but the rear.

Am I considered a red light runner?
    Thanks for reading.

If any part of you vehicle is in the intersection when the light is red, you have run the light.

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
      If any part of you vehicle is in the intersection when the light is red, you have run the light.
      I disagree. It's legal to enter the intersection on a yellow light as long as you're "using due caution," and have the light change to red while you're still within the intersection. So, unless you're failing to use due caution as you enter the intersection on yellow, you could be within the intersection on a red light and still be legal.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I can't argue your point on that. But how many people have we seen actually use caution as opposed to gun it to get past the light? I always loved stopping a guy, having him tell me he tried to stop when CLEARLY the nose of his car was lifting during the hard acceleration to attempt to beat the light.

Comment

I disagree with Bing Oh.

The yellow does not mean hurry across before it turns red. There is plenty of time to slow to a stop, on yellow to bring a vehicle to a complet stop.

§ 544.010. STOP[0] SIGNS AND YIELD SIGNS. (a) Unless
          directed to proceed by a police officer or traffic-control signal[0],
          the operator of a vehicle or streetcar approaching an intersection
          with a stop[0] sign shall stop[0] as provided by Subsection (c).
          (b) If safety requires, the operator of a vehicle
          approaching a yield sign shall stop
          [0] as provided by Subsection (c).
          (c) An operator required to stop[0] by this section shall stop[0]
          before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection.
          In the absence of a crosswalk, the operator shall stop[0] at a clearly
          marked stop[0] line. In the absence of a stop[0] line, the operator shall
          stop[0] at the place nearest the intersecting roadway where the
          operator has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting
          roadway.
          "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

Am I a Red Light Runner?

I used the painted "limit line" as the threshold for issuing a red light citation. What most of us attempt, or should attempt to do, is view the entire picture. You approach the intersection at normal as in lawful speed, and enter on yellow, no problem. You gun the vehicle, or increase speed to beat the red light= citation. You approach the intersection on yellow, the light turns red before, or at the limit line=citation. At the end of the day, it's the Officer's call. Proper, attentive driving, eliminates most of these situations.

Comment

We nearly always used the "perpendicular line" as the threshold for whether or not the light was 'ran' or not. If the front of the car was over the line before the light turned red, then the person would not be stopped. If the light were red before the front bumper crossed the line, then a stop could be made.

I can't think of any controlled intersection (in my county) where the was not a painted line, but I am certain they exist. VDOT is typically pretty good about marking intersections, but the lines might not be there if the road was recently resurfaced or patched.

One big problem is the timing of the yellow light. Most traffic signals in 45-mph (or higher) zones will stay yellow for four seconds. This is ample time to safely stop at that velocity, but every now and then you'll find a "three second" yellow that can make things a bit rough. (Ironically, red-light cameras seem to be installed at that type of signal with a 'short' yellow.)

Since there is normally a two-second delay from one direction having a red light to the side street having a green signal, any car that goes past the "stop bar" should have ample time to clear the intersection before cross traffic is moving. {Oh, yeah.....we all know that cars on the side street will sometimes jump the green too.}

I predict this will be a long-lived thread.

P.S. If the entire vehicle had to be beyond the white line before the yellow turned to red, a tractor-trailer driver would be in trouble!
              Last edited by VA Dutch; 08-20-2007, 02:44 PM. Reason: omission

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

If you are before the stop bar when the light turns red and continue through, then you get a ticket from me.
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

If you cross the stop line at before it turns red thats not running the light to me. But how many times I have sat and watched people run it and say I had already crossed it. The view is much better from outside we can usually see it better than the driver.
                  Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
                    Not true in MD. If your vehicle has passed the prolongation of the intersection lines prior to the light turning red, you are not in violation of the traffic law regarding running red lights. Simply being in the intersection while the light is red does not constitute a traffic violation.
                    Last edited by redbird07; 08-20-2007, 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling
                    John 3:16

Comment

In Ca the violation happens if you cross the limit line after the light turns red. So If your front wheels are already across the limit line and the light turns red no ticket. Now if the light turns red and then you cross the limit line=ticket, Or the light turns red and you do stop but your wheels cross the limit line, technically a violation you can be cited for!

My other favorite is the anti-gridlock law of entering an intersection without sufficient clearance. Get stuck in the middle of an intersection because traffic was backed up on the other side and you lacked patience and wanted to get into the intersection before the light turned red, you get a ticket even though you entered on a green....
                      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

One does not always have time to stop on a dime, especially if in an area where the speed limit is 55mph. The light happens to turn yellow and you're close so you have to go through the intersection and it happens to turn red as you have passed the point of no return. So you either slam your brakes on, maybe get hit from behind, or you slide out into the intersection...either way, I would hope that all officers use discretion and COMMON SENSE when deciding if what we witnessed is a true violation. I think I can tell when someone intends to get thru a red light blatantly as opposed to someone entering the point of no return and not being able to stop in time.
                        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                          One does not always have time to stop on a dime, especially if in an area where the speed limit is 55mph. The light happens to turn yellow and you're close so you have to go through the intersection and it happens to turn red as you have passed the point of no return. So you either slam your brakes on, maybe get hit from behind, or you slide out into the intersection...

Either way, I would hope that all officers use discretion and COMMON SENSE when deciding if what we witnessed is a true violation. I think I can tell when someone intends to get thru a red light blatantly as opposed to someone entering the point of no return and not being able to stop in time.

Alas, "common sense" does not seem to be very common anymore.

Excellent post, JSD. Please proceed to the head of the class.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by Love_Cops View Post
                            Hi, all officers.
                            I have a quick question.

When the traffic light turn red, AT THAT MOMENT,
                            my vehicle's front wheels already passed the solid white line, but the rear.

Am I considered a red light runner?
                            Thanks for reading.
                            § 46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty.

A. Signals by traffic lights shall be as follows:

Steady red indicates that moving traffic shall stop and remain stopped as long as the red signal is shown, except in the direction indicated by a lighted green arrow.

Green indicates the traffic shall move in the direction of the signal and remain in motion as long as the green signal is given, except that such traffic shall yield to other vehicles and pedestrians lawfully within the intersection.

Steady amber indicates that a change is about to be made in the direction of the moving of traffic. When the amber signal is shown, traffic which has not already entered the intersection, including the crosswalks, shall stop if it is not reasonably safe to continue, but traffic which has already entered the intersection shall continue to move until the intersection has been cleared. The amber signal is a warning that the steady red signal is imminent.

Flashing red indicates that traffic shall stop before entering an intersection.

Flashing amber indicates that traffic may proceed through the intersection or past such signal with reasonable care under the circumstances.

B. If the traffic lights controlling an intersection are out of service because of a power failure or other event that prevents the giving of signals by the traffic lights, the drivers of vehicles approaching such an intersection shall proceed as though such intersection were controlled by a stop sign on all approaches. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to: intersections controlled by portable stop signs, intersections with law-enforcement officers or other authorized persons directing traffic, or intersections controlled by traffic lights displaying flashing red or flashing amber lights as provided in subsection A.

C. The driver of any motor vehicle may be detained or arrested for a violation of this section if the detaining law-enforcement officer is in uniform, displays his badge of authority, and (i) has observed the violation or (ii) has received a message by radio or other wireless telecommunication device from another law-enforcement officer who observed the violation. In the case of a person being detained or arrested based on a radio message, the message shall be sent immediately after the violation is observed, and the observing officer shall furnish the license number or other positive identification of the vehicle to the detaining officer.

Violation of any provision of this section shall constitute a traffic infraction punishable by a fine of no more than $350.
                            You leave out some things.

Red lights are preceeded by Amber lights. Are you stopped or moving, and how fast, and did the Amber provide adequate warning of the coming Red or is it a short light, or did you speed up when the Amber came out to beat the Red?

If you entered the intersection under Green and been stopped waiting to turn left, you would clear the intersection now, and other traffic which now has the Green are to yield to you as specified.
                            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I have a new question, if stop light fines were greatly increased do you think we'd see fewer accidents and runners?
                              "Give me chastity and give me constancy, but do not give it yet." -St. Augustine

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12094 users online. 504 members and 11590 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X