Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weigh station compliance question

Good morning,
    I will shortly be making an interstate trip hauling a horse trailer (unloaded 1 direction loaded the other direction) This trailer is a personal non commercial trailer and is used only for hauling my personal horses to the vet and to show where we do not compete for prize money. The trailer is built to haul 4 horses and has living quarters. It is 36’ in overall length, has dual axles and an approximately 8,000 lbs empty weight. We use an F-350 to haul it. Prior to this trip I have been traveling locally so I have not been on the interstate at all. Under the law in my home state (PA) this combination doesn’t require a CDL.
    I know that I will be required to stop for any agricultural inspection stations I pass. What about weigh stations? I can’t seem to find any concrete information online about which states would require me to stop. Would a restriction on trucks with more than X tires or more than Y axles apply to me?
    thanks in advance for any answers

Have you seen this?

https://www.moving.com/tips/does-my-...00,must%20stop.

You can look up the regs for each state that you are traveling through.

Highway signs also generally state which vehicles must stop at weigh stations. Commercial vehicles at 10,000 lbs seem to be pretty common.

Comment

• 3furkids
      3furkids commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I have seen that and it addresses some states but it doesn’t clearly address what to do for non-commercial horse trailers.
      Certain states have different requirements specifically for horse trailers, for example NC (one of the few that was easy to find and interpret) requires any combination over 10,000 lbs GVWR to stop but doesn’t require any private horse trailer built for 4 or fewer horses to stop at a weigh station.

Originally posted by 3furkids View Post
    Good morning,
    I will shortly be making an interstate trip hauling a horse trailer (unloaded 1 direction loaded the other direction) This trailer is a personal non commercial trailer and is used only for hauling my personal horses to the vet and to show where we do not compete for prize money. The trailer is built to haul 4 horses and has living quarters. It is 36’ in overall length, has dual axles and an approximately 8,000 lbs empty weight. We use an F-350 to haul it. Prior to this trip I have been traveling locally so I have not been on the interstate at all. Under the law in my home state (PA) this combination doesn’t require a CDL.
    I know that I will be required to stop for any agricultural inspection stations I pass. What about weigh stations? I can’t seem to find any concrete information online about which states would require me to stop. Would a restriction on trucks with more than X tires or more than Y axles apply to me?
    thanks in advance for any answers
    You're gonna have to give us more information, for us to be able to answer your questions.

What is the GVWR of your F350? What is the GCWR of your F350? How much does it actually weigh with fuel, passengers, and cargo?

What is the GVWR of the trailer? How much does it actually weigh, with horses and everything else in it?

What states will you be traveling through?
    Last edited by Aidokea; 12-30-2022, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Bueller...Bueller...

I looked up some stuff for you. If you have the information I asked for, I may be able to help you.

Comment

This is hardly an official answer but people drive RVs much larger than your rig and never stop. I'm pretty sure only CMVs have to get weighed. Hopefully a diesel cop will chime in.

It never hurts to pull in just to be sure; you'll probably just get waived through.

As you already said, you'll need to stop at the AG station in Florida.

Comment

Bueller...

Comment

Hope he didn't get arrested for driving without a valid license...

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
              Hope he didn't get arrested for driving without a valid license...
              this comment has been seized as evidence

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol. My Scooby Sense tells me that he may not have a valid license for what he's trying to do.

• Captain Adams
                Captain Adams commented
                Editing a comment
                probably not lol

So the OP hasn't been here since two hours after creating this thread over a week ago.

Very bot-like.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4888 users online. 284 members and 4604 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X