300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible fee for crash response

Our department is aware of police agencies in the United States that charge a fee (for the work performed) in responding to vehicle crashes which includes completing the corresponding crash reports.

The fees are billed to insurance companies. (This is similar to Fire Departments that submit bills for working fires.)

If you know of any specific city or department engaging this practice, please respond to this post with details (i.e., name of agency, contact info, comments).
    ‚Äč
    Thanks very much for your help.

I could imagine that happening, but I have no personal knowledge of any department doing it. Here in Texas, the wording of the law relating to traffic crash reporting is "may" instead of "shall." It is only "shall" if the officer actually investigates. Also, a reportable crash is apparent extent of $1,000 damage to anyone's property, injury, or death.

Also, we had a civilian traffic crash reporting here in Texas, but the Texas Department of Transportation, who took over crash reporting from the Texas Department of Public Safety several years ago, did away with them. We can still hand out the forms, but they are no longer filed with TX DOT - just for personal use and/or for your insurance agency.

To add, we have so many deer strike crashes, we stopped doing reports. However, we will still do one if there is serious injury or property damage other than the vehicle striking the deer. I did one for an out of state non-English speaker one time, but that was on me since I couldn't explain to him whey I couldn't give him a case number to his insurance company.

Comment

• LManalyst
      LManalyst commented
      Editing a comment
      We are from Texas too, so this is actually somewhat helpful. Thanks.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3108 users online. 144 members and 2964 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X