Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Service for Speeding Ticket?

Awhile ago, I was pulled over for speeding: Cited as running 80 MPH in a 65 zone. Right now, I don't have much financial means by which to pay the ticket, so the FHP officer issuing the citation advised me to request a hearing, and ask the judge for community service time in lieu of the fine.

I have had the court date scheduled, and will be appearing in the very near future to plead my case. I do not intend to contest the charge at all, but to simply request an alternate sentencing, as I have more time to offer right now than I do money and I do not like to have my debts go unpaid.

Could anyone give me some background regarding any experiences with such requests? How should I approach the judge with this? Is there anything in particular I could/should bring to support my cause?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    "I'm not afraid of loving my enemies...
    I honestly want peace with you.
    But when you come against my country,
    When you come against my family,
    You try to destroy my people,
    I can't just stand by...
    I am coming, and if I come, then
    Pain is coming with me!"

In my court, you just request community service, the judge asks if you can pay at least part of the fine, and whatever you can't you get as community service.

But (at least where I am) it's a LOT of hours in lieu of the fine. If you can afford it at all, it's financially much more sound to just pay it. I think was something like 50 hours of service for the last speeding ticket I saw. If you were making $8/hr working a minimum wage job instead, that would be $400 -- more than the cost of the fine.

Comment

Great point LA, in my experiences in these sorts of cases it makes more sense to try and pay it if you can...good luck though!
      The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

Hey I once covered a Ticket by having to write sentences, lol.

I Will Not Speed In Motley County, Texas.

5000 times, lol.

Better than paying 170 dollars when your 16 anyways. lol

Comment

Just my $0.02 about community service, but I would suggest volunteering the "required" time at an animal shelter/dog pound. Not only will the time go quickly, but it will be the most rewarding thing you could ever do - and I would be willing to bet it might give you a new perspective on things.

Animal shelters always need help and there are more than enough puppies & kitties without homes. A lick on the face from a new friend makes it all worthwhile.

{Okay....that's your warm & fuzzy for the day.}

P.S. It wouldn't surprise me if you ended up volunteering again - without being urged to by the judge. Heck, you may even meet a new pet.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Just my $0.02 about community service, but I would suggest volunteering the "required" time at an animal shelter/dog pound. Not only will the time go quickly, but it will be the most rewarding thing you could ever do - and I would be willing to bet it might give you a new perspective on things.

Animal shelters always need help and there are more than enough puppies & kitties without homes. A lick on the face from a new friend makes it all worthwhile.

P.S. It wouldn't surprise me if you ended up volunteering again - without being urged to by the judge. Heck, you may even meet a new pet.
            Y'know, I never thought of that as a possibility for community service. I once worked in a puppies/kittens shop, so it's definitely something to consider. Thanks for the suggestion!
            "I'm not afraid of loving my enemies...
            I honestly want peace with you.
            But when you come against my country,
            When you come against my family,
            You try to destroy my people,
            I can't just stand by...
            I am coming, and if I come, then
            Pain is coming with me!"

Comment

That's an excellent idea. Hopefully though, you can request you get a cushy job in the adoption section... as opposed to one of the other jobs. As an Animal Control Officer, going to the shelter every day was the most depressing part of the job. But if you have the right mind for it, and keep a positive outlook, it can be a good thing... but then again, that's true of most things in life.

($.02)

Comment

When I was a court officer, animal control was one of our most popular community service assignments. Popular with us, not the defendants. We found that dog poop was a great equalizer among the masses, and there was a never-ending supply of it to clean up.
                Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Yeah sounds ****ty to me, not to mention when you go to the front and ask hey wheres the little Daschund that I've been playing with for the last 2 weeks.

"Oh we gave him a shot and now hes dead, he went quickly though, we got it on video you wanna see??? Its awesome!!!!"

LOL

Comment

Wow!!! One of my fish literally just died,

Karma I guess, shouldnt have made fun of the poor puppy at the shelter.

Comment

Anything is better than walking into "The big freezer."

One of those things the general public just shouldn't know about...

Comment

Offer to wash a few patrol cars. Doesn't take that long and it sounds more a like a punishment, unless you like cleaning up dog poo.

Comment

When I was 16, I got a $118 speeding ticket and at the arraignment, I plead guilty and the judge offered community service and I took it. Coincidentally, my mother also took community service as well as she was there for her traffic ticket as well! Anyway, I had to do about 20 hours and it was well worth it. I volunteered at a food kitchen and served food to the less fortunate. Very rewarding and I went back several times after the ticket had been paid off.

Comment

In MD you could ask to attend driving improvement school. It costs money to attend. If the judge awards such a disposition and you fail to show up your license gets suspended. It would probably be cheaper to pay the fine.
                            John 3:16

Comment

Our Courts back in MO did community service all the time.....especially for younger folks....

Cleaning the dog pound, helping clear litter at the cemetery, picking up litter along the right of ways, planting flowers in the flower boxes around town that the City owned, and washing/waxing the cars were very popular with the Judges......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6313 users online. 359 members and 5954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X