300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR 417 off-ramp to University Blvd in FL

Greetings all, and thanks for providing this wonderful website and community. I have a question for any FHP officers that might be here, who are familiar with the UCF area. I'm slightly confused as to the legality of making a right turn at a particular red light, and am hoping someone could help clear it up.

Basically, my question is:

From the light at the end of the ramp from SR 417 N onto University Blvd E, is it legal to make a right turn on red? Does that apply to both lanes governed by that light?

If there's no one here familiar enough with the intersection to answer my question, I'll try to put together a good description and image of the scenario later. Google Earth's satellite image of the location is currently too far out of date to show everything that applies here.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    "I'm not afraid of loving my enemies...
    I honestly want peace with you.
    But when you come against my country,
    When you come against my family,
    You try to destroy my people,
    I can't just stand by...
    I am coming, and if I come, then
    Pain is coming with me!"

Originally posted by Iszi View Post
    Greetings all, and thanks for providing this wonderful website and community. I have a question for any FHP officers that might be here, who are familiar with the UCF area. I'm slightly confused as to the legality of making a right turn at a particular red light, and am hoping someone could help clear it up.

Basically, my question is:

From the light at the end of the ramp from SR 417 N onto University Blvd E, is it legal to make a right turn on red? Does that apply to both lanes governed by that light?

If there's no one here familiar enough with the intersection to answer my question, I'll try to put together a good description and image of the scenario later. Google Earth's satellite image of the location is currently too far out of date to show everything that applies here.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

ive also thought the same thing it doesnt say no right turn on red tho.....

Comment

Picture, and an additional question.

Yes, as kev said, there is no "no right turn on red" sign, nor anything that I would consider an obvious indication to say that a right turn on red is not allowed. The red lights on the signals are not shaped into right arrows, just the greens. Here's a picture I put together of the intersection, starting with the out-dated Google Earth satellite image, and adding in the missing pieces.

Lanes 1-3 are the Eastbound lanes of University Blvd, numbered from north to south. Lanes A-C are the off-ramp lanes, coming from SR-417 Northbound. What you dont' see, further east, is that Lane C actually becomes a Lane 4 on University Blvd, which is a right-turn only lane onto Dean Rd Southbound. Since I need to go straight on University to get to work, this is why I never take Lane C off of SR-417. The red line across Lanes A & B represents the light in question, and the green line across Lanes 1-3 is the associated light governing traffic on University Blvd Eastbound.

Whether it is legal or not, the light represented by the red line is often ran because it is a very long one. Another point of concern I have is that I've seen drivers often try to turn into Lane 2 from Lane B, when the dashed lines are guiding them into Lane 3. This brings another question: Regardless of whether "running" the red light is legal, who would be responsible if such a lane shift through the intersection during that turn would result in an accident, such as with another driver making the turn from Lane A into Lane 2?
      Last edited by Iszi; 06-12-2007, 10:40 PM.
      "I'm not afraid of loving my enemies...
      I honestly want peace with you.
      But when you come against my country,
      When you come against my family,
      You try to destroy my people,
      I can't just stand by...
      I am coming, and if I come, then
      Pain is coming with me!"

Comment

You know what bugs me worse than people who take that right turn that clearly states "To Dean Rd" and then merge onto University?

Non-sworn people who can't read and post when they aren't supposed to.

Anyway, everything about that intersection is screwed up. Anyway, I used to take that right lane all the time, and atleast 1/2 the time I either saw an almost crash or was myself almost involved in a crash. It's not illegal, but it's definately not safe depending on the hour. I still take it late at night or early in the morning, however I don't take it during the day. With the high speed of people coming off of 417, mixed with the people making the legal and what should be safe lane change to turn onto Dean, it's just a bad combo.

Forwarning though, you're not going to get many answers on this question. Don't forget, this is an internatiol forum, and even myself said "What the #*$(" when I saw the title (even though I know exactly what you're talking about)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4785 users online. 239 members and 4546 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X