300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hello to all and a quick question

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and just wanted to start out saying I truly appreciate all you officers do. You won't be getting any flamming or silly questions from me. Well, I guess I'll say a little a bit about myself. I'm 19 years old and I live in Orange County New York. I'm a licensed real estate agent and I do plan on going to college next year, but I got my license for some real world experience beforehand. Well, know that the brief introduction is over heres my question. Without getting into any backstory, I just want to know if the officer when writing the ticket wrote it was in violation of a certain section and the description of the violation dont match the section will it be automatically dismissed?

Thhankyou in advance for all your help.

Not where I am from. I dont write in the numbers until the end of the shift when I am sitting next to the book that has the numbers in it.

For example, I write no seat belt (Driver) in the description section then later Ill write the statute number for no seat belt. So, the copy the violator gets has no number at all and the copy the court gets has the number.

If I were to write in a number at the scene and it happens to be the wrong number, the magistrate that handles traffic will either correct it or kick it back granted it gets past the LT and the Captain with the wrong number. Those fellas make my boo boos go away and they are good at it, mainly because they know if a ticket slides across their desk with my name on it its probably screwed up because I write about 1 book a year.

No easy pass because of poor ink pen manipulation.
    It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Well, maybe I should go into the backstory then. A few weeks ago, as anyone from the area would know there was a BIG flood in my area. I live on a hill and on onside there was a ROAD CLOSED ROAD FLOODED sign, so okay that must be closed. On the other side of me ther is a stop sign in the middle of the right lane, well the right lane when your driving. That one side was flooded and their was a regular old STOP sign put in the center of that lane. Okay so this is about a 1/4 mile stretch of road with a STOP sign in the right lane and at the other end of the strip there is an officers car parked. He has been sitting there all night. Now the day before my dad was coming home from work and the officer waved him right by becuse no one was coming the other way. Thats what he told me because I hadnt been out(didnt wanna take my fwd car out.) So I asked him if the roads were bad and he siad some and he siad coming home on the strecth there were cops and they were directing traffic into the dry lane. He said the otherside of the hill though by the sod farm(im in a rural area) was closed. So the next day in the morning I went to go get breakfest at our local deli(I really wanted a nice bagel with eggs and bacom, but thats besides the point). Now this is at the end of the quarter mile strip he said was open yesterday. BTW its worth mentioning that at this point there hasnt been any rain in two days. Anyway I hop in the truck turned left out of my driveway and head a few hundred feet and see the stop sign. So I stop, and I see the officer at the other end of the stretch. And I'm like "ohh guess the one lane is still closed." so I put my left signal on go into the other lane and drive down that side. At this point there is ZERO water on that side at all, my tires didnt get wet. I didnt think anything of it, when i came near to the cop I put my right signal on and went back into the right lane. I go right past him and then a few seconds later he turns his lights on. So I pull over give him my license and registration etc. He walks back to his car 10-15minutes later he walks backs and hand me the ticket and I say officer I thought the right lane was closed cause the other lane was dry. He says its not your decision to decide, and then says "you shouldnt have come especially since you saw me sitting their" and walks away. So, I think to myself after he leaves that was totally weird. So I go the next few hundred feet get my bagel sandwich(best part of that morning) tell my story of what just happened to the people there and leave. So now where do I go? I go back to the officer, and I wanted to ask him how I can back home. So I'm sitting there in my truck he shines a bright car spotlight at my eyes for five minutes.(I thought maybe he was on the radio or something) and then comes on the bullhorn and says the road is closed....well yeah I know NOW you just gave me a ticket for it not 15 minutes ago. So whatever, hes not going to let me by. SO I basically cant get home now......great, so long story short I make a HUGE circle(took about an hour and half) to go around to the other road on the otherside of myhouse I had to drive like 40 miles out of my way and had to drive around the road closed sign on the other side of my house just to get home....so basically what they did was stick 3 house(miune and two others) in what I know realize is two road closed signs....did the town people expect us to sit in our houses for days?? The funy part is not 2 hours later a town truck comes the cop send all these people back to the road closed road and just totally confises everyone...at this point he is sitting at the stop sign, before when i drove he was all the way at the other end of the stretch...I guess he realized a stop sign in the center of one lane doesnt make any sense where everywhere else there are ROAD CLOSED ROAD FLOODED signs...but yeah like I said a town worker shows up go puts cones halfway down the stretch arounf the water in the lane I thought was closed the cop leaves and traffic resumes......THEY LEFT THE STOP SIGN EXACTLY WHERE IT WAS....I though this is just ridiculoous so I got a bunch of digital photos of everything.................basically there my whole long story, on the ticket he wrote the section number is 1125 no Sub....which apparently according to the town justive department is talking with cell phone...below it he wrote "avoid traffic control "levid"???" I cant read his wrtiting on the last word......basically now I'm pleading not guilty and going to go before a town judge....If I do get "charged" will this be point on my license? If not I have no real problem with paying a fine, I just dont want my insurance to go wayyyyyyy up for something which I dont feel like I did anything wrong. I wasnt speeding or anything, I thought it was just one lane like my dad told me it was the day before. Thankyou all for reading this and all your comments I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by thenicepython View Post
        Thanks for the quick response. Well, maybe I should go into the backstory then. A few weeks ago, as anyone from the area would know there was a BIG flood in my area. I live on a hill and on onside there was a ROAD CLOSED ROAD FLOODED sign, so okay that must be closed. On the other side of me ther is a stop sign in the middle of the right lane, well the right lane when your driving. That one side was flooded and their was a regular old STOP sign put in the center of that lane. Okay so this is about a 1/4 mile stretch of road with a STOP sign in the right lane and at the other end of the strip there is an officers car parked. He has been sitting there all night. Now the day before my dad was coming home from work and the officer waved him right by becuse no one was coming the other way. Thats what he told me because I hadnt been out(didnt wanna take my fwd car out.) So I asked him if the roads were bad and he siad some and he siad coming home on the strecth there were cops and they were directing traffic into the dry lane. He said the otherside of the hill though by the sod farm(im in a rural area) was closed. So the next day in the morning I went to go get breakfest at our local deli(I really wanted a nice bagel with eggs and bacom, but thats besides the point). Now this is at the end of the quarter mile strip he said was open yesterday. BTW its worth mentioning that at this point there hasnt been any rain in two days. Anyway I hop in the truck turned left out of my driveway and head a few hundred feet and see the stop sign. So I stop, and I see the officer at the other end of the stretch. And I'm like "ohh guess the one lane is still closed." so I put my left signal on go into the other lane and drive down that side. At this point there is ZERO water on that side at all, my tires didnt get wet. I didnt think anything of it, when i came near to the cop I put my right signal on and went back into the right lane. I go right past him and then a few seconds later he turns his lights on. So I pull over give him my license and registration etc. He walks back to his car 10-15minutes later he walks backs and hand me the ticket and I say officer I thought the right lane was closed cause the other lane was dry. He says its not your decision to decide, and then says "you shouldnt have come especially since you saw me sitting their" and walks away. So, I think to myself after he leaves that was totally weird. So I go the next few hundred feet get my bagel sandwich(best part of that morning) tell my story of what just happened to the people there and leave. So now where do I go? I go back to the officer, and I wanted to ask him how I can back home. So I'm sitting there in my truck he shines a bright car spotlight at my eyes for five minutes.(I thought maybe he was on the radio or something) and then comes on the bullhorn and says the road is closed....well yeah I know NOW you just gave me a ticket for it not 15 minutes ago. So whatever, hes not going to let me by. SO I basically cant get home now......great, so long story short I make a HUGE circle(took about an hour and half) to go around to the other road on the otherside of myhouse I had to drive like 40 miles out of my way and had to drive around the road closed sign on the other side of my house just to get home....so basically what they did was stick 3 house(miune and two others) in what I know realize is two road closed signs....did the town people expect us to sit in our houses for days?? The funy part is not 2 hours later a town truck comes the cop send all these people back to the road closed road and just totally confises everyone...at this point he is sitting at the stop sign, before when i drove he was all the way at the other end of the stretch...I guess he realized a stop sign in the center of one lane doesnt make any sense where everywhere else there are ROAD CLOSED ROAD FLOODED signs...but yeah like I said a town worker shows up go puts cones halfway down the stretch arounf the water in the lane I thought was closed the cop leaves and traffic resumes......THEY LEFT THE STOP SIGN EXACTLY WHERE IT WAS....I though this is just ridiculoous so I got a bunch of digital photos of everything.................basically there my whole long story, on the ticket he wrote the section number is 1125 no Sub....which apparently according to the town justive department is talking with cell phone...below it he wrote "avoid traffic control "levid"???" I cant read his wrtiting on the last word......basically now I'm pleading not guilty and going to go before a town judge....If I do get "charged" will this be point on my license? If not I have no real problem with paying a fine, I just dont want my insurance to go wayyyyyyy up for something which I dont feel like I did anything wrong. I wasnt speeding or anything, I thought it was just one lane like my dad told me it was the day before. Thankyou all for reading this and all your comments I appreciate it.
        I cannot even believe I read that whole post. Under your own admission, you knew the road was closed for at least 2 days. You shouldnt have driven down it. If there are signs warning of a road closure, that means the road IS CLOSED. Even if a lane happens to be open for a short time. I have had people drive by my cruiser, road flares, police tape, barricades, and gates in referenced to road closures. They all say the same thing. It didnt look like the road was/should be closed. The police know better than anyone the reasons and potential dangers causing the road closure. It doesnt matter what the public thinks. It never fails, Someone drives past the signs. Gets stuck in the water and the next thing you know we have swift water rescue underway. The fact remains that the road is closed. When I was younger, I drove past a road closed sign to "see what was going on". There was no misunderstanding, I wanted to see the flood waters and disregarded the sign. An officer stopped me, wrote me a ticket and I paid it.

If you take this incident to court, you are going to lose. Especially if you go into depth about what happened like you did on this thread.

Good Luck.

Closed means Closed
        John 3:16

Comment

Absolutely redbird, from your own admission you'll probably want to avoid court alltogether and just take care of that ticket.

Good Luck though!
          The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys. But you misunderstood me, to clear it up, there was no road closed sign, the only other road to my house had a road closed sign so I didnt go that way. the way I went only had a stop sign, as in stop look for right of way and when safe go...anyway the cop was there all night, I saw the lights when I walked into my kitchen so I assumed he was directing traffic....there was no road closed sign on the road I got ticketed for. That was my point everywhere in all other flooded are they had those road closed barricades w/ those flashing orange lights, this road only had a stop sign....and like i said 2 hours later a town worker showed up put water around the large puddle in the other lane and the cop left.....the stop sign was still in the same place in the middle of that lane and people drove up and down the road for a day and half directing traffic themselves before the town came and picked it back up....I did not drive down a road with a road closed sign....see my point....I hope I explained it better now. Thanks for all the responses.

Later

Comment

Originally posted by redbird07 View Post
              I cannot even believe I read that whole post. Under your own admission, you knew the road was closed for at least 2 days. You shouldnt have driven down it. If there are signs warning of a road closure, that means the road IS CLOSED. Even if a lane happens to be open for a short time. I have had people drive by my cruiser, road flares, police tape, barricades, and gates in referenced to road closures. They all say the same thing. It didnt look like the road was/should be closed. The police know better than anyone the reasons and potential dangers causing the road closure. It doesnt matter what the public thinks. It never fails, Someone drives past the signs. Gets stuck in the water and the next thing you know we have swift water rescue underway. The fact remains that the road is closed. When I was younger, I drove past a road closed sign to "see what was going on". There was no misunderstanding, I wanted to see the flood waters and disregarded the sign. An officer stopped me, wrote me a ticket and I paid it.

If you take this incident to court, you are going to lose. Especially if you go into depth about what happened like you did on this thread.

Good Luck.

Closed means Closed

well no i didnt know the road closed because there was no road closed sign, I saw traffic the previous day do the very same thing, and my dad told me the same thing. I just feel that if the road is closed there should be a road closed sign, not a stop sign in one lane...thanks again

Comment

Well thanks for that but it is a single dotted yellow line down the strip where I was in the left lane........still im glad I know what the code means know

thanks for your help

later
                Last edited by thenicepython; 06-06-2007, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Please read below
                  Last edited by thenicepython; 06-09-2007, 05:19 AM. Reason: No longer current

Comment

Hi guys, I managed to find this:

"Section 1225. Avoiding intersection or traffic control device. No person shall drive across or upon a sidewalk, driveway, parking lot or private property, or otherwise drive off a roadway, in order to avoid an intersection or traffic control device. "

Is that the proper code? Is it current I mean.

Because, and tell me if I'm wrong(im sure you owould lol). But doesnt that mean I either drove off the road or across a sidewalk.....BTW, for any who missed it(I know its aot to read so maybe you didnt read all my other posts, I wouldnt blame ya lol) but since there was no "Road Closed" sign, I didnt go offroad in a legal sense right, I certainly didnt cross the sidewalk or actually go "offroad" and drive into the field, nor was I over the white line (where people could walk so I suppose it could be a sidewalk)......

Your thoughts?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4224 users online. 263 members and 3961 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X