Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcing check point

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Announcing check point

    What would be the purpose of announcing a check point?

    It was all over the news today that there will be check points on RT 60 from NC to WV. Although I don't drive drunk, I would think that a person whom hears about this will simply avoid RT. 60.

    Any thoughts?

  • #2
    Originally posted by iMarkVideo View Post
    What would be the purpose of announcing a check point?

    It was all over the news today that there will be check points on RT 60 from NC to WV. Although I don't drive drunk, I would think that a person whom hears about this will simply avoid RT. 60.

    Any thoughts?
    Supreme Court decisions. The whole issue of checkpoints was taken to the highest court. They upheld them, but there are rules. One is they have to be posted in the local newspaper in advance. AND, warnings have to be set up alerting unsuspecting motorists of what lies ahead and giving them a way out. As a motor, my job was to look for those drivers who opted not to "participate", but in so doing, made illegal turns or otherwise gave me PC to stop them.

    But, you could put out searchlights and have clowns and a parade and there will still be those hammered drivers who drive up to the Wizard.
    Last edited by LuvedMyMotor; 05-25-2007, 06:41 PM. Reason: added info

    Comment


    • #3
      Announcing Checkpoints

      We could do nationwide media blitz's concerning DUI Checkpoints, Click it, or Ticket, and still have no shortage of violators.

      Comment


      • #4



        There was a case several years ago where an agency erected "Narcotics checkpoint ahead" signs and stopped those drivers who did a U-turn to avoid it. Maybe they assumed that people turning around may have had something to hide.


        Now that's funny.....I don't care who ya are!

        The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

        The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

        ------------------------------------------------

        "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post



          There was a case several years ago where an agency erected "Narcotics checkpoint ahead" signs and stopped those drivers who did a U-turn to avoid it. Maybe they assumed that people turning around may have had something to hide.


          Now that's funny.....I don't care who ya are!
          I can actually see how that would work. I know there are stupid people out there but studid is what stupid does.

          Comment


          • #6
            In my neck of the woods we generally call on several department in the area to participate in the checkpoints. County Police, State Police, Sheriffs Department, Park Police, Municipality Departments within the county. So we have a large "task force" working the district the checkpoint is conducted in. We are required to post advanced warning as well as media announcements. We do have the spotters who look for "bail outers", but we also have numerous units (sometimes 15-20) who conduct saturation patrol. It is not uncommon to get 25-30 DUI arrests in a single evening for the "task force" alone. Not to mention all the other stuff (drugs, suspended-revoked-unlicensed-uninsured-various other alcohol related offenses.
            John 3:16

            Comment


            • #7
              You don't have to give the specific time or location, but something in the general vicinity.

              As others have stated, there is never a shortage of violators, whether posted or not.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

              Comment


              • #8
                This was posted on another website .... this is one of hundreds of reasons and one incident in one city , but it occurs over and over everywhere .


                Seat belt stop nets 3 kilos of cocaine

                A Goldsboro man is being held in the Wayne County Jail under $1 million bond after police allegedly found three kilos of cocaine in his truck during a seat belt check on Ninth and Tampa streets Thursday.
                Fransisco Baltasar, 44, was charged with driving on a revoked license, trafficking in cocaine by transporting and trafficking in cocaine by possession.
                Goldsboro police set up a checkpoint for the Click It or Ticket seat belt enforcement campaign in the 1300 block of Ninth Street off Wayne Memorial Drive at about 10 a.m., Goldsboro police Sgt. G.N. Lynch said. C-Shift Officers Cpl. C.A. Jackson, J.T. Beeken, J.R. Hooker and K-9 Officer, Ben, were participating in the checkpoint.
                Baltasar drove up to the checkpoint in his black 1996 Chevrolet S-10 pickup at about 11:20 a.m., and he was arrested for having no license.
                Police searched the vehicle and found the cocaine in the console. Officers estimated its street value at $60,000.
                Hooker was credited with the find, which is the largest amount of cocaine seized by patrol officers at a Click It or Ticket checkpoint, Goldsboro police Chief Tim Bell said.
                "You never know what's going to turn up when you do a license check," Bell said.
                The Click It or Ticket campaign will continue until June 3. On June 1, the Goldsboro Police Department will conduct a series of license checks designed to get drunken drivers off the roads.
                Maj. Mike Hopper, who heads the patrol division, said not everyone sees the value in license checkpoints, but many drivers they encounter do.
                "A lot of people say it's a waste of time doing checkpoints and that we should be out looking for real criminals," Hopper said. "One or two complain, but the majority of the people we encounter are appreciative that we are out there being visible and taking the bad guys off the streets. A lot of people feel like if I'm abiding by the law, other people should, too."

                Comment


                • #9
                  DUI/DL CPs

                  Well I actually conducted a DUI/DL Check CP last night. One thing, if you have ever seen drunks....do they tend to listen or care? Dont think so. We had no problem finding a driver under the influence, in our second car through the line. There are many reasons for announcing the checkpoints though. For one it may deter people from driving drunk, maybe getting a tazi or designating a driver. Two, even if they are drunk, they may be prone to drive safer knowing that officers will BOL (be on the lookout). Three, they may not car and will get arrested, a liscense revokation, and their car will be towed away. As long as nobody is hurt, and we increase the 22 minutes death toll nation wide to maybe an hour or greater, many lives can be saved.
                  There are two types of people. Officers and Suspects.
                  If you drink and drive, plan on spending time in the grey bar hotel!
                  Dont Hesitate To Designate
                  Seat Belts Save Lives
                  Click It Or Ticket

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by chpeve View Post
                    Well I actually conducted a DUI/DL Check CP last night. One thing, if you have ever seen drunks....do they tend to listen or care? Dont think so. We had no problem finding a driver under the influence, in our second car through the line. There are many reasons for announcing the checkpoints though. For one it may deter people from driving drunk, maybe getting a tazi or designating a driver. Two, even if they are drunk, they may be prone to drive safer knowing that officers will BOL (be on the lookout). Three, they may not car and will get arrested, a liscense revokation, and their car will be towed away. As long as nobody is hurt, and we increase the 22 minutes death toll nation wide to maybe an hour or greater, many lives can be saved.
                    I still dont see why you are responding to these threads.
                    John 3:16

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by chpeve View Post
                      There are many reasons for announcing the checkpoints though. For one it may deter people from driving drunk, maybe getting a tazi or designating a driver. Two, even if they are drunk, they may be prone to drive safer knowing that officers will BOL (be on the lookout). Three, they may not car and will get arrested, a liscense revokation, and their car will be towed away. .
                      You left off the main reason. Because the USSC said we had to.
                      183 FBINA

                      Comment

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 6990 users online. 390 members and 6600 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X