Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[NJ] Going the wrong way on a one way on private property, can I get a ticket?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [NJ] Going the wrong way on a one way on private property, can I get a ticket?

I have a building that has a parking lot. One of the entrances is narrow, so it is designated as one way (enter only). Late at night if I were to go the wrong way on it and use it as an exit, would that be something I can get a ticket for?

Thank you

I don't know about the laws in your state. Where I live (Colorado) the traffic code applies only to public thoroughfares (public streets, alleys, etc), not on private property (with a few exceptions such as hit & run, careless driving, reckless driving, DUI, etc).

Your post indicates that you "have a building that has a parking lot". I would think that as the owner or person in control of private property you can do just about anything you want. But for the best legal advice I would suggest a competent attorney in your state of residence rather than relying on an internet forum.

Comment

In my state, or so I was taught, traffic laws don't apply on private property, except for stuff like DUI, reckless driving, vehicular homicide etc. So you can run the stop signs in the Wal-Mart parking lot here so long as you don't hit anyone. However, stop signs on private property which lead onto public roads DO have to be obeyed and you can be ticketed. I can't really speak to NJ law but if that entrance is leading onto a public road, then maybe you should just use the proper exit...

Comment

I also can't comment on NJ law, but in my state there are only 4 traffic violations that can be enforced on public-access private property (store parking lots, for example):
        1. DUI
        2. Reckless driving
        3. Hit & run with injury
        4. Driving over a fire hose
        If the OP's situation were in my state, I would define an apartment roadway/parking area under this designation. Therefore, violation of one-way direction is not a ticketable offense. That being said, there could be something in the lease the compels renters to obey signage in the lot; if so, failure to do so could be seen as a violation of the lease. The ultimate result of that could be lease termination and eviction.

I make the 'public-access' distinction above because, on truly private property, no traffic laws apply. Back when I was in the academy, we did our vehicle training on a local racetrack. The owner of the track drove a distinctive vehicle, and was also a known alcoholic. There had been occasions where he drunkenly drove his vehicle through active training exercises. The track was the only nearby place to do this training, so the academy was stuck with the situation. No enforcement action was possible, as it was closed to the public (except on race days), so it was true private property. Their solution was "Code X". Any time anyone saw the owner's vehicle near the track, they were required to call out "Code X" on the radio. All activities would cease and any training vehicles in motion would stop. Once the owner left the area, someone would air "Cancel Code X", and normal activities would resume.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8262 users online. 440 members and 7822 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X