300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much will this ticket be?

Ok first off guys, I know exactly what i did and how stupid and wrong it was, and feel really stupid and sick over it. So i would appriciate it if you all would keep the negative comments and lectures to yourselves. Im sure all of us have made and are going to make mistakes. and trust me im going to be hearing it alot from my officers in charge of my explorers unit, which makes it 1000 times worse. heres the story.

IF YOU DONT WANNA READ THE STORY, MY QUESTION IS HOW MUCH IS A TICKET FOR GOING AROUND RAILROAD CROSSING WHEN DOWN?

I was taking my girlfriend home and she was about to be late for curfew, we came up on some train tracks and the bars went down, i stopped and looked and couldnt see a train and decided to go around them, I live right beside a train track and there have been several times they go down and no train, just a malfunction, although i should always treat it as if there was one, so im not saying it was ok. anyway back on track....i went around the bars and there was a cop on the other side, he stopped me and gave me a ticket. he said he didnt know how much the ticket was going to be, he said it didnt show up on his page. so can anyone answer how much this ticket will be? Also would this maybe keep me from becoming an explorer? we are just getting started in the programe

also the violation code 335.090 (or possible .070) hard to make out
    Last edited by trebel14; 05-20-2007, 12:54 AM.

Depends on the court. Why don't you ask one of the local officers since you have a good way to get hold of them already? Late for curfew or death? Gee, which is better?

Comment

Note: Remarks below are submitted by former LEO; and are simply my own opinion, comments and observations. No professional advice is implied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not aware of your codes, laws or ordinances in Missouri; but a local magistrate or traffic court clerk could probably give you the amount of the fine. Were you planning on submitting a guilty plea?

Do you feel it would be worth fighting it in court using a "malfunction" defense? You say that you drove around the crossing gates because you honestly thought a train might not be coming. Okay - sounds like a rather common excuse that a judge might consider. Furthermore, did a train ever come?

If a freight train rolled by while the officer was writing your ticket, stick a fork in your belly because you are done. If no train came while the officer wrote you and the gates went back up, you might stand a chance in court.

As for keeping you from being an explorer, I would hate to think that a single traffic infraction would eliminate you......but you should ask someone locally about that. Finally, don't mess with trains! Should you somehow get stuck on the track, there is no way one of those behemoths can stop in time to avoid hitting you.

Be safe, young man.
      Last edited by VA Dutch; 05-20-2007, 10:44 AM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

How Much?

Originally posted by trebel14 View Post
        Ok first off guys, I know exactly what i did and how stupid and wrong it was, and feel really stupid and sick over it. So i would appriciate it if you all would keep the negative comments and lectures to yourselves. Im sure all of us have made and are going to make mistakes. and trust me im going to be hearing it alot from my officers in charge of my explorers unit, which makes it 1000 times worse. heres the story.

IF YOU DONT WANNA READ THE STORY, MY QUESTION IS HOW MUCH IS A TICKET FOR GOING AROUND RAILROAD CROSSING WHEN DOWN?

I was taking my girlfriend home and she was about to be late for curfew, we came up on some train tracks and the bars went down, i stopped and looked and couldnt see a train and decided to go around them, I live right beside a train track and there have been several times they go down and no train, just a malfunction, although i should always treat it as if there was one, so im not saying it was ok. anyway back on track....i went around the bars and there was a cop on the other side, he stopped me and gave me a ticket. he said he didnt know how much the ticket was going to be, he said it didnt show up on his page. so can anyone answer how much this ticket will be? Also would this maybe keep me from becoming an explorer? we are just getting started in the programe

also the violation code 335.090 (or possible .070) hard to make out
        You want us to keep the negative comments and lectures to ourselves? Young Sir, you don't really get to dictate the terms and conditions under which your questions will be answered. I gave you a suggestion on how to find out how much the ticket will cost, on your first thread. I can understand your concern relative to your girlfriend's curfew. I can also understand the perspective of a railroad engineer when a car goes through a gated crossing. The train has one course of evasive action only. I worked quite a few grade crossing accidents in my career, and I can tell you, the motor vehicle lost everytime. I suggest you re-read the post immediately prior to my reply. It contains some very good thoughts. Best of luck in your Explorer efforts.

Comment

hey thanks for the replys guys! i will check with the court clerk monday to see how much the fine will be. As for my statement of asking to keep the negative comments to yourselves, i didnt want a bunch of people coming on here making a bunch of jokes and telling me how stupid i am. im not trying to say it was ok what i did. it wasnt and i should have never done it. so the reason i didnt want everyone chiming in, i feel bad enough as it is, and will be hearing it plenty.

Comment

Im sure all of us have made and are going to make mistakes.
            Agreed...however, playing a no win game of beat the train wasn't/isn't one of them

[chiming in]

I have nothing to contribute to the previous replies, so I'll address your request to "keep our comments and lectures to ourselves!" In the future, prefacing a request for help, from non-paid, volunteers, who selflessly volunteer hundreds upon hundreds of hours helping people such as yourself, is likely to garner the opposite result.

When you walk into your explorer post come Monday morning(or when ever) and explain to your OIC what happened, will you preface your story ...I don't want to hear a lecture, or any carp out of you, but a funny thing happened to me the other day...

Probably not. Although we are not your superiors, a bit more respect from a LE explorer, and future LEO would be in order on a LE forum.

[/chiming in]
            "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Ok first off guys, I know exactly what i did and how stupid and wrong it was, and feel really stupid and sick over it. So i would appriciate it if you all would keep the negative comments and lectures to yourselves. Im sure all of us have made and are going to make mistakes. and trust me im going to be hearing it alot from my officers in charge of my explorers unit, which makes it 1000 times worse.
              Wow. What were you thinking! You know you could have gotten yourself or even worse your girlfriend killed!
              Not a smart move. I really hope you don't do that again.

The fine of the ticket is nothing compared to what will happen to you if the father of your girlfriend gets ahold of you.
              If that was my daughter as passenger and you did that then..............
              And if you survived she sure would not be riding with you anymore!
              Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

exComptonCop. thanks for your reply and ill take that into consideration, i just have seen forums before where someone makes a mistake and just one after another replys the same thing just ragging on someone. I didnt want this to be a thread of name calling or a thread of telling someone how stupid they are. i wanted it to be a helpful thread, and get answers.

as for playing a no win game agienst a train, and pujolsfan146.

Im not a stupid careless guy, i made a bad decission, however i didnt see any train and there were no trains in site, it was still wrong but wasnt like it was even a close call. again to make myself clear im not giving an excuse saying it was ok, it wasnt. but trying to out beat it is alot worse then what i did.

Comment

Not calling you stupid, but you probably got the ticket because it was a BLATANT disregard and the officer happened to be right there to see it. Shouldn't hurt you becoming an Explorer, its just a traffic ticket. Most people at some point in there life have gotten a traffic ticket, especially the people that at some point in there life have sped through my jurisdiction

Comment

yea, the thing is though im not even sure what kind of ticket this is? he didnt know how much the fine is. and it doesnt say anywhere on the ticket what it is. just says failure to stop at railroad crossings. So is that what the ticket is? is it a careless and ?inprudent? or what is the ticket? hope that makes sence?

Comment

Everyone has pretty well addressed the issues with doing this stupid act, so I'll answer the original question. In Wisconsin, the minimum fine is $387.00 up to $1000 for the first offense plus revocation of your driver's license.
                      Originally posted by kontemplerande
                      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

well SRT i pray your wrong! and im thinking you are, anyway on the revoking of drivers license. i dont think he would have given me a ticket in that case.

Comment

well SRT i pray your wrong! and im thinking you are, anyway on the revoking of drivers license. i dont think he would have given me a ticket in that case.
                          I do believe he is right. I think it might be that way here in Illinois also. I was going to put that in my post but I wanted to look up the statute first.

Crossing RR arms while they are down is a no brainer for me. That is a ticket period and I wouldn't cut a break to a guy when he gave me the excuse that he wants to be a cop.
                          Almost everybody I stop tells me how they have plans on being a cop. Not trying to depress you but I really do think that SRT is right on the money.

If you do get revoked keep in mind if you do plan on going around the RR arms while they are down it will take you a lot more time since you are on foot.
                          Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

I'm just wondering if you've thought about the other side of this...the non-le side. Were that my daughter, you'd not be dating her anymore. A young man that can't make the correct snap decision about explaining a curfew violation to me versus trying to beat the train and risking my child's life doesn't possess the maturity to date my daughter. On the other hand, were you my child (and living under my roof still...as I see you're 18) you wouldn't have a car to drive for awhile.

Do you want to read my response? Probably not, but I gave it anyway....that's not the LEO in me, that's the mother talking...you're way to precious to too many people in your life to do something so foolish that could risk your life and hers. Please...be careful...and learn to admit your mistakes w/o prefacing it with the excuse. Remember that telling an "excuse" pleases no one but the one telling it.
                            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Just looked it up and you've got some issues. In Missouri, your charge is a class C misdemeanor (Fine of up to $300 plus up to 15 days in jail) with a mandatory 60 day disqualification of your driving priviliges. {Missouri Traffic Code 304.035}
                              Last edited by SRT936; 05-21-2007, 08:01 AM.
                              Originally posted by kontemplerande
                              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8883 users online. 285 members and 8598 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X