300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruising In Left Lane Illegal??

There was a discussion on a car forum where some said it is illegal to cruise in the left lane, you can only use it for passing( at least In NC ). If this is so why aren't there tickets given out as this is an every day occurence. I've just never heard of this, is it true?

Originally posted by Shawn020
    In MD, it is illegal for somebody to be going less than 10 MPH below the speed limit in the left lane... It is also illegal for somebody to tailgate, and to go above the speed limit... But yet so many people do, I think that people just need to be traveling the speed limit (which some people do) if everybody is traveling around the speed limit there would not be tailgaters or aggressive drivers and certaintly less rage on the roads. The only way to do this is with strict enforcement of the speed limits, make it so that everybody will change their driving habits. If they see a cop every 2 miles checking speeds they would not be speeding... Unfortunately it is a non-issue and so many accidents could be avoided if speeds were lower. The only time speed becomes a factor for any enforcement is when somebody crashes.
    So many accidents could be avoided if people weren't so stupid as well (ie. German Autobahn has higher speed limits but less accidents). I think we should set up the Department of Darwin Awards to award those people who injure or kill themselves due to negligence or lack of common sense, but unfortunately I believe 90% of the population have the potential to win such awards.

Comment

Originally posted by electricblue07 View Post
      There was a discussion on a car forum where some said it is illegal to cruise in the left lane, you can only use it for passing( at least In NC ). If this is so why aren't there tickets given out as this is an every day occurence. I've just never heard of this, is it true?
      Personally, I feel that drivers start getting annoyed if you aren't at least doing 10+mph over the speed limit in the left lane (at least in the Central Jersey area). What I notice is that if you aren't going at those speeds, someone behind you will pass you on the right and cut you off as they switch back into the left lane. If you are going too slow (5+mph below speed limit) in the left lane and you aren't not an elderly person (who probably should not be driving anyways), you will either get honked at, flipped off, or in worst case, probably brake checked off the road.

Comment

(ie. German Autobahn has higher speed limits but less accidents).
        It is also much more harder for most European drivers to even obtain a license. There is no comparison between their driving test(s) and ours. I remember getting my license many years ago. I took a written test and drove about 3 blocks and the state issued me one.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by nitromt View Post
          So many accidents could be avoided if people weren't so stupid as well (ie. German Autobahn has higher speed limits but less accidents). I think we should set up the Department of Darwin Awards to award those people who injure or kill themselves due to negligence or lack of common sense, but unfortunately I believe 90% of the population have the potential to win such awards.
          Gotta love all the college age kids who have all the answers to life's problems.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
            It is also much more harder for most European drivers to even obtain a license. There is no comparison between their driving test(s) and ours. I remember getting my license many years ago. I took a written test and drove about 3 blocks and the state issued me one.
            I had the same experience, and that's the last time I took a driving test. I think Lyndon Johnson was in office at the time. I wonder if my skill level has changed since then?
            Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

In Illinois, YES.

Comment

driving in the left is normal to me.most in the right are going btween 39 to 46 in a 45.i feel more comfortable going about 51 in traffic.of course i have to move over for ratbutt in a hellfire hurry going about 58 in a 45,only to be on his arse at the red light.also depending on the lanes,road,etc,its a lot safer to be in the middle so to speak.too many idiots run lights signs.the more space between yourself and them the better.

Comment

This banter reminds me of a great quote from comedian George Carlin: "Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot; but anyone who chooses to drive faster is a maniac."

In NC, PA and several other states, there are signs that clearly say Keep Right Except To Pass; although I believe this law is seldom enforced. Here in VA, the old 'Slower Traffic Keep Right' signs abound.....but they go largely ignored and unenforced. But after all, who ever wants to think of himself/herself as a "slower" driver? Nobody!

Left-lane hogging is not only dangerous, but it is just plain rude.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Left-lane hogging is not only dangerous, but it is just plain rude.

True, and most haven't figured out the turn signals to use them when changing back over to the right lane. Hence the staying in the left lane.

Comment

Cruising in left lane.

Keep right except to pass is the law in Alabama.

Comment

Maybe we should do this to the people who are in the left lane...
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=zZD05PQ1fbA

Comment

In MD, it is illegal for somebody to be going less than 10 MPH below the speed limit in the left lane... It is also illegal for somebody to tailgate, and to go above the speed limit... But yet so many people do, I think that people just need to be traveling the speed limit (which some people do) if everybody is traveling around the speed limit there would not be tailgaters or aggressive drivers and certaintly less rage on the roads. The only way to do this is with strict enforcement of the speed limits, make it so that everybody will change their driving habits. If they see a cop every 2 miles checking speeds they would not be speeding... Unfortunately it is a non-issue and so many accidents could be avoided if speeds were lower. The only time speed becomes a factor for any enforcement is when somebody crashes.
                          Don't mean to burst your bubble here, but there is no "law" in regards to driving 10 MPH under the Speed Limit and in the Left Hand Lane. In Maryland, "a person may not drive a vehicle below a minimum speed limit established"
                          Please inform me where you have obtained this information. Too many people assume the Left lane is for them to speed, which it is generally used to pass a slow moving vehicle in the right hand lane.
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

"Minimum speed limit established", since when do you see a minimim speed limit... They are all maximum speed limits. In areas like divided highways where there is a maximum speed limit it is unlawful for somebody in the passing lane to travel 10 MPH or less below that maximum speed limit.

My source was our study guide for the written test for employment, it was based on motor vehicle law, criminal law, and department policy. In that document it specifically stated that 10 below speed limit has to move to the right hand lane and can't operate in the passing lane. If people wouldn't use the left lane for speeding there would be less people mad about "slow people in the left lane" I have been speeding before on the highway and I can only imagine what somebody would do to a person going the speed limit in the left lane, compared to me being tailgated at 70 MPH on I95. You want to go fast, then go ahead and change YOUR lane... By law, i'm not required to do squat for you to go faster than you should be traveling.

**Just found the section in the annotated code of MD**

In the transportation article under the annotated code of MD it sates in § 21-301

(b) On every roadway, except while overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction or when preparing for a lawful left turn, any vehicle going 10 miles an hour or more below the applicable maximum speed limit or, if any existing conditions reasonably require a speed below that of the applicable maximum, at less than the normal speed of traffic under these conditions, shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

One mistake it you got your info from a "study guide" and not the Maryland Vehicle Law Handbook. What Law Enforcement has their policy in a study guide? Next thing is, section 21-301 is specificallly for driving on the left side of the road, not a highway. It clearly states that if you are going to drive below the posted speed limit, you are to drive in the right hand lane. Nothing illegal about that in ref. to your original post on here. Get your facts straight before posting. If you are non LE, then I can only imagine "google" is being your guide here.

The left hand lane, the right hand lane, the speed limit is what it is. If the posted speed limit is 55MPH, then all vehicles must obey that speed limit. The left hand lane is not for "speeding".

Section 21-804 is Miminum speed regualtions.
                            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Legality aside, driving in the left-hand lane (regardless of speed) when you are not overtaking/passing another vehicle is just plain rude. If other cars are passing you on the right, you are probably impeding the flow of traffic.

That in itself might not sound bad, but think of all those people passing someone on the right-hand side. This increases the chance of a crash - typically because blind spots on the right side are much worse than on the left. It also is simply just not as "smooth" as it could be when people have to bob and weave around self-appointed roadblocks.

It is hard to articulate this position, but if you drove on I-95, I-495 or even I-66 often enough....you'll know exactly what I mean.

Keep right - except to pass. Let the troopers catch the speed demons, avoid road rage and reduce your chance of a mishap. If some schmuck wants to go 90 mph, I would much rather let him pass me on by (to my left, of course) than to have him tailgating me and endangering more lives than just his own. That's my secret, anyway.

"Slower Traffic Keep Right" is good, sound policy - at any speed.

Last edited by VA Dutch; 05-08-2007, 06:20 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2902 users online. 158 members and 2744 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X