Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deaf drivers

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you ever had an experience with pulling over a deaf driver. If so how did you handle it? If not how would you handle it?

I have done 2 training videos for the VACP and was wondering if this is a good pitch for a training video?

Thanks

I was acctually about to post a question along with this topic. I had an encounter with a deaf driver the other day. She was parked in the middle of the road at the fair ground and i went to go and tell her to move. i ended up having to sit there and write on paper back and forth with her so she could understand what i was telling her.

After that I was wondering two things:

1. Any tips on how to figure out if they are just screwing with you?
    2. How many states actually allow a DL to deaf drivers?
    When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

Most deaf people will make an active effort to communicate with you. If the be pointing at their mouth and or ears, or using a note pad. My wife is partly deaf and if she doesn't have her hearing aids in she can read lips as long as you don't talk too fast. There are a few good cd's that will teach you some of the basics in communicating with the deaf, or you may also want to get with your local college and they may have something. Some of the signing took me a while to catch up with, but even learning a few signs is better than none.
      Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

I have actually stopped two deaf drivers in one day. I think they may have been back-to-back but I don't recall exactly. I have only had one since then. We just wrote back and forth on my notepad. They were all easy to deal with.

The only tip I have to find out if they are messing with you is to tell them that there is a snake by their foot (or something similar)and see if you get a reaction. Make sure they can't see your lips, of course... This also works well with people who are pretending they don't understand English.

Comment

I have encountered a few. My 'in' is that I have several Deaf friends and know some sign. I've worked with a program that is (for lack of a better term) command sign. Its the basics like license, registration, etc. In most cases, pen and paper work well. Would you let a Deaf person out of a ticket just because they are Deaf? If not, it really does not matter if they are faking it or not. I did have somebody try and fake it with me until I began signing with them. My skill is very limited but could tell right away that the person could hear me just fine.

Something to keep in mind is that American Sign Language is a true language and has grammar that is much different than spoken English. Keep that in mind when writing back and forth. Make sure what is written is what is really being said as the sentence structure is much different. In most cases, it would not be an issue and most people can get by.

Comment

Do they cover this topic in any academy?

Just curious.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by iMarkVideo View Post
              Do they cover this topic in any academy?

Just curious.

Thanks
              Some academies teach it...others do not.

Comment

I'm attending college in Rochester Institute of Technology. I think the Institute enrolls the most deaf students in the United States. It was my belief that NTID was started here. I've seen many many deaf drivers around the streets here. I was also wondering how officers would deal with deaf drivers. Another problem I would have with deaf drivers is when they are communicating with their passengers. Since they cannot hear, they use ASL, which the driver has to then glance over to the passenger to see what they are conveying, having their eyes off the road momentarily, sometimes longer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3738 users online. 272 members and 3466 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X