Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's nothing specifically that's going to pop-up and alert him to his error...unless another deputy showed up and corrected his misunderstanding.

If he HAD written a citation -- which, BTW, he couldn't have done without witnessing you operating the vehicle on a public roadway...at least according to my state's laws -- you would have to go through the normal court process. However, if it were me, I would reach out to the DA's office and point out the obvious mistake; they may be able to work on a dismissal without you having to show up for court.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
      There's nothing specifically that's going to pop-up and alert him to his error...unless another deputy showed up and corrected his misunderstanding..
      If he's working in a county next to the state line, as he is given the location indicated by the OP, then he should be well aware of what IN and KY have for license plates. It's not like the OP was the first person from KY to drive I-64.
      Just sounds like someone slept thru their academy and FTO training. You don't have to be a cop very long to figure out what the states adjoining your state have for license plates. You're going to see them everyday passing thru.
      183 FBINA

Comment

Summarizing what I said before I would NEVER issue this summons as a stand alone offense. For PC go ahead. If I were cutting a break from a more serious offense like speeding... fine. If the stop led to warrant... a criminal arrest or a DWI... fine, write the summons to justify the stop.

But by itself? That kind of guy isn't even liked by his peers
        NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
        List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
        APD -???

Comment

When I was a PA resident stationed in Virginia (very, very long ago), I got stopped by a county PD unit near the base. He said he stopped me because I had only one license plate (which is all PA has ever required on personal cars) AND that he did not see my inspection decal (Virginia had theirs in the center of the windshield back then & PA had theirs in the left-hand corner).

He saw that I was in uniform (Army) and apologized before I even gave him my license. I was on my way in seconds. My guess is that he was "fishing" for something. It was after dusk and I had a black Mustang back then - a car that generally gathered attention, wanted or unwanted. LOL!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post
            When I was a PA resident stationed in Virginia (very, very long ago), I got stopped by a county PD unit near the base. He said he stopped me because I had only one license plate (which is all PA has ever required on personal cars) AND that he did not see my inspection decal (Virginia had theirs in the center of the windshield back then & PA had theirs in the left-hand corner).

He saw that I was in uniform (Army) and apologized before I even gave him my license. I was on my way in seconds. My guess is that he was "fishing" for something. It was after dusk and I had a black Mustang back then - a car that generally gathered attention, wanted or unwanted. LOL!
            He can legally make hat stop, but he cannot enforce it. You are only issued one plate. If he was looking for more and needed PC fine... but if he went ahead and wrote that he's very misinformed
            NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
            List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
            APD -???

Comment

Originally posted by LSUTiger9314 View Post

He can legally make that stop, but he cannot enforce it. You are only issued one plate. If he was looking for more and needed PC fine... but if he went ahead and wrote that he's very misinformed

Thankfully, he did not even ask for my license and apologized. As that was well over thirty years ago, maybe he honestly did not know about the non-resident license plate & inspection sticker rules. Seems weird, but no harm done. Was he fishing? I'll really never know.

With today's patrol officers having computers in their cars + smart phones, I suppose the access to information is much easier. I still keep thinking that 1987 is like ten years ago. LOL!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Based on my over 34.5 years of uniformed general duty and traffic services work, even though in Canada, I would say that, IF the OP's situation WAS EXACTLY as posted, then:
                - the Deputy was not sufficiently aware of his authority with regards to the other-state-registered-vehicle being in the possession of / operated by the legal owner of same who was also a legal resident and legally-licenced-driver from that other state;
                - ANY LEO empowered to conduct traffic stops ANYWHERE would be able to legally stop and check the ownership / title status of the OP's vehicle. IF the OP;
                - IF the OP was charged, then either the OP SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE to ask the Prosecutor to withdraw the charge, or win at Trial.
                #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                "Smile" - no!

Comment

It's 2019! Maybe the deputy was lonely and was using it as a pick up line?

Comment

In Colorado the statute specifically states that two plates are required IF two plates are issued. However, practice is not to cite out of state one-plate cars, even if the state issues two.

If it were cited it's an affirmative defense that the registered state only issues one plate, meaning that the driver has to go to court and prove his state only issues one... and making an out of state driver come back and go to court for a $15 class B infraction is absurd, so they just aren't cited.

Great reason to stop a car you want to stop, tho....
                    Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      Back when I was on patrol I had a book of all state license plates for all 50 states (LONG before you could buy 90 plate styles in each state)

That book also told me how many plates were issued in each state..
                      Horses and buggies had license plates??
                      Originally posted by RSGSRT
                      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        Back when I was on patrol I had a book of all state license plates for all 50 states (LONG before you could buy 90 plate styles in each state)

That book also told me how many plates were issued in each state..

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post

Horses and buggies had license plates??
                        Originally posted by BTDT View Post

I agree Iowa is a noteworthy lawman with a long distinghshed career.
                        Check out this vintage arrest photo of Blanche Barrow (Bonnie & Clyde shootout) taken at Dexter Iowa.
                        Care to guess the identity of the uniformed officer (blue arrow).
                        Above is a re-post from 2015, you may want to ask Iowa how plates were on Bonnie and Clyde's death car.
                        Last edited by BTDT2; 05-17-2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BTDT2 View Post

Above is a re-post from 2015, you may want to ask Iowa how plates were on Bonnie and Clyde's death car.
                          The shoot out that killed Bonnie & Clyde was in Louisiana I was not there.. The arrest shown above is the arrest of Blanch Barrow & Buck Barrow . Buck didn't survive........................That arrest was about a year before the Bonnie & Clyde demise

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9435 users online. 290 members and 9145 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X