300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Stop Sign Question

In my town there is a 2-way stop that has always left me confused and annoyed as to what I'm supposed to do... The scenario I face almost everyday is the following: (I've attached a sketch to help since I might not explain this very well) Upon approaching my stop sign, which is on the right side, there is usually another vehicle already at the stop sign across the street (left side). Whenever I get up to my stop sign and on coming traffic is gone, the other driver gives me a blank stare. After returning the stare, the driver usually gets agitated and "violently" waves me to go on. Now, I've always thought that at a 2-way or 4-way stop that it's a "first come, first serve" rule- as in the guy who gets to their sign first is the first one to go? So can someone please tell me what the deal is? Am I right or wrong?
    Attached Files

If he gets there first, he has the right of way. But if he waves you through then just go. (nice diagram)

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

The person who arrives first has the right of way if you both have stop signs. Be very careful if you proceed after they waive you through. If they also pull out and collide with you witnesses may not see the "hand motions" of him giving you the right away and testify that you violated his right of way. Be careful.

Comment

Yep. First come, first serve.

It seems, however, that most people think that the person making a left-turn has to yield. They don't, if they were there first.

Comment

Thanks guys. I am very wary when they wave me to go on. That's one of the reasons why I get so annoyed- a couple of times people have almost collided with me when they wave me to go and I take them up on their offer, yet they decide to pull out too (if we both are turning).

Since it's a different car/person just about everytime who waves me to go on (even when they were there first) I figured maybe I am in the wrong and do need to go first? At least now I know I have been right the whole time. I suppose these drivers are confusing the "right has right of way" rule with the 2-way stop? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Comment

Last question

Would it be illegal if I taped a computerized note to the bottom of the stop signs saying something along the lines of "If you are the first one to stop here, then you are the first one who needs to go." Is this technically defacing the sign?

Comment

It is not "defacing" in the sense, but it is altering it. You could probably be charged with tampering. I would suggest go to your local councilman or politician(s) in your area and make the suggestion. It's normally their job to get things done like that to make the roads/intersections safer.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Even though it was put up with good intentions it would be removed as soon as it was seen by public works or the PD. We have some intersections where the council authorized additional signs at the stop sign intersections that read "if you cant stop at the stop sign we are here to help you......Police Department". I always point those signs out when I write stop sign tickets at those intersections...it is pretty funny. If the intersection is hazardous and you are not the only person complaining they may look at additional signs or signals. Good luck and be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagon View Post
                  Would it be illegal if I taped a computerized note to the bottom of the stop signs saying something along the lines of "If you are the first one to stop here, then you are the first one who needs to go." Is this technically defacing the sign?
                  People have a hard enough time trying to read stop signs it seems....it wouldn't have much attention paid to it.

Keep putting pressure on the city to come up with a solution to it.

Comment

Stop Sign.

Do not place the message you noted on the sign. It's an alteration of a traffic control device,(though well intended), and would be in violation of the Vehicle Code. Simply follow the advice previously given in response to your post.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6099 users online. 348 members and 5751 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X