300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal car modifications on out of state cars

If you are in a state that has laws on car modifications, intakes, exhaust, tire size, ground clearance, tint, etc... how do you handle that with out of state drivers. I know that cars must be in compliance with the states laws that they are in, but what about these situations:

Lets say you pull me over for no front plate since we don’t run those in OK. or for the tint and then find out the following:

My crew cab chevy truck, it has exhaust(still pretty quiet) and the very dark tint is obvious, stock otherwise. I am just passing through your state on my way to vacation in another state.

My corvette, looks completly stock but has highly modded engine, extremly loud, exhaust is obviously not stock, aftermarket cold air intake, running drag radial tires(they are DOT approved), and dark tint. I trailered the car there for a car show, got pulled over driving with some other cars to go eat before trailering back up and heading home.

So how would you handle those situations if I only plan on being in the state for a very short time am I getting a ticket, vehicle seized? Would it make that much difference between if you pulled over my truck vs my corvette? Would I be screwed if that truck is the one pulling the Corvette on a trailer?

Just asking because my buddy and I were having this debate. Here in Oklahoma we have no inspections and you can get away with just about any modifications, the police don’t really hassle you unless your doing something stupid with your vehicle. A lot of cars performance cars run nitrous, every other car in Oklahoma has really dark tint, and trucks every where with tires that stick way out past the body.

To be honest, I support law enforcement 100% and I know if you are in one of these states you are just doing your job and enforcing the laws of your state, but some of the laws in the more restrictive states (California) are a bit ridiculous. I am not going to convey that at the time of a traffic stop, I am always curtious to any officer I encounter, things usualy go a lot better that way.

Without getting into all the legal mumbo-jumbo, the general idea is that states tend to respect what's legal in the state where a vehicle is registered. Even so, it's perfectly legit to stop a vehicle for an in-state equipment or certain registration violations. For example, our state requires 2 license plates. I've stopped plenty of out-of-state vehicles with only 1 plate. Once I confirm the state only issues a single plate, I warn and release. Or, maybe I find it's a drunk driver, in which case I make an arrest. The initial stop is still valid.

Comment

Actually, the laws in CA for vehicles are just fine. It keeps All the idiots from racing around, blasting noise and loud exhaust pipes out of our state and in OK, where the air and noise pollution aren’t our problem.

Dont like it? Don’t come here.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

If it's an out of state car I'll verify if what they're telling me is true or not. At the same time, when in Rome... if it's illegal in the current state, it's a valid stop. The officer can write a ticket if they choose whether it's valid in your home state or not because it was illegal where you were. I'm in IL and the only current reciprocal law with other states involves concealed carry, not equipment violations.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          Actually, the laws in CA for vehicles are just fine. It keeps All the idiots from racing around, blasting noise and loud exhaust pipes out of our state and in OK, where the air and noise pollution aren’t our problem.

Dont like it? Don’t come here.
          Trust me there is not a bone in my body that wants to come to california, I mean the way they limit law abiding citizen’s gun rights and what not. California ranks higher than Oklahoma in polution, oh and was also ranked as the worst state to live in by U.S. World news.

Your statement is exactly the kind of thing my buddy and I were discussing, I am guesing you are a LEO but with that kind of mindset by the police in Cali, why would anyone want to go there. I am guessing that if you pull someone over from out of state with a vehicle modification that is illegal in Cali you already have your mind made up that your going to do everything possible to ticket/impound. At least that is the way it sounds.

Just because you put an exhaust on your vehicle does not mean you “race around,” some people just like the way it sounds. My truck is the slowest thing around, it has cats and stock exhaust manifolds, the only thing different is the muffler.

I just wanted responses from what officers would generally do when encountering this type of thing. Sounds like for the most part officers will generally make an exception for an out of state vehicle if it will only be in the state a short time.

Comment

Come to CA, leave on foot. We don’t want, nor need your kind of narrow minded self centered brain dead children.

Well...Bye...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Every state is different for what you're asking. In SC, I can only enforce things like tint on cars registered here. You would still have to have working lights and brakes, etc. and be in safe operating condition.

Other states' laws are written to apply to everyone, so if you have aftermarket mods you have to check the laws of every state you drive through.

Comment

So here is part of our discussion. I understand there are stupid people doing stupid things in California(it’s not just Cali, just where I see a lot of these videos coming from)where they are shutting down intersections and doing doughnuts, street racing with people lined down the street, and people are getting hit and hurt or killed. As a car enthisist I do not condone any of those.

But my point is, an exhaust on a car does very little for performance by itself without supporting modifications. Where it says the law is for “safety” is pushing it. An aftermarket exhaust on a otherwise stock car ads 10hp or less. Take the “ricers” that add the big loud “fart can” exhausts, so now they make 230hp instead of 220hp, now illegal. My truck probably makes 260 hp and weights 5500 lbs, it is slooooow but illegal because of exhaust. You can go down to a dealership, buy just a base model Mustang GT or Corvette, and have 430+ hp. Step up a little bit in models and it is easy to get 500 or 600hp, but legal because it’s stock. Which one should be considered less safe? As a car guy, put me in both cars and I know I am going to want to push the high horsepower stock car faster than the 230hp import with modified exhaust. In the last 10 years the way cars have been getting faster and faster right off the showroom floor and you can basically buy a stock street legal racecar, which it the wrong hands can be very dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by matt03Z06 View Post
                  So here is part of our discussion. I understand there are stupid people doing stupid things in California(it’s not just Cali, just where I see a lot of these videos coming from)where they are shutting down intersections and doing doughnuts, street racing with people lined down the street, and people are getting hit and hurt or killed. As a car enthisist I do not condone any of those.

But my point is, an exhaust on a car does very little for performance by itself without supporting modifications. Where it says the law is for “safety” is pushing it. An aftermarket exhaust on a otherwise stock car ads 10hp or less. Take the “ricers” that add the big loud “fart can” exhausts, so now they make 230hp instead of 220hp, now illegal. My truck probably makes 260 hp and weights 5500 lbs, it is slooooow but illegal because of exhaust. You can go down to a dealership, buy just a base model Mustang GT or Corvette, and have 430+ hp. Step up a little bit in models and it is easy to get 500 or 600hp, but legal because it’s stock. Which one should be considered less safe? As a car guy, put me in both cars and I know I am going to want to push the high horsepower stock car faster than the 230hp import with modified exhaust. In the last 10 years the way cars have been getting faster and faster right off the showroom floor and you can basically buy a stock street legal racecar, which it the wrong hands can be very dangerous.
                  Lets understand something.

WE DON'T CARE

If the "modification" is illegal in our jurisdiction, we will enforce our laws. None of us give a crap about what you just stated. We enforce LAWS not theory.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5624 users online. 272 members and 5352 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X