300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dash cameras

like, most, if not all police vehicles have dash cams, so do they stay on at all times, or do u turn them on whenever u want?
    We are Volunteers, we don't get paid for what we do
    But our hope and prayers are to always see you through
    We can be eating or awakened in the middle of the night
    With a blast of our pagers saying There is a Fire we need to fight!
    We are up and dressed and out the door
    We meet sirens blaring and trucks that roar
    The adrenaline pumping, were ready to go
    Will we make it home? We never know.

I'm sure it depends on what kind you have. The ones we use have several ways to be activated. They come on by pushing record, turning on your lights, exceeding a certain speed or by activating shock sensors. (in a wreck) When it's activated, it goes back and saves everything from two minutes before the activation and on until you turn it off. You can also turn it on by pushing record on the body mic.

Comment

I wish we had them. Administrators don't feel the cost of them is justified. I guess it's just easier to suspend officers on false accusations.

I saw the new DVD ones out there.....very neat. Camera on both sides, night/day options for camera. They probably cost a small fortune but it was really something.

Comment

Ours are digital. You just plug them up to a docking station to download them. There's a camera facing forward in the front, one backwards in the back and one in the back seat looking at your prisoner. I have no idea how much they cost, but all our cars have them and they are nice.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbernFireDept
          like, most, if not all police vehicles have dash cams, so do they stay on at all times, or do u turn them on whenever u want?
          Believe it or not, most police cars do NOT have dash cams. They are much more popular and are becoming more universal, but for many departments, they're a bit of luxury. My squad is only one in my agency that has one (I'm the test unit). Many departments reserve dash cams for speciality units like traffic enforcement crews.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936
            Believe it or not, most police cars do NOT have dash cams. They are much more popular and are becoming more universal, but for many departments, they're a bit of luxury.
            You are correct sir. Not sure if MPD has them....but all of the Northern VA Agencies seem to have them.....

Back home...only the larger agencies have them. Hardly any smaller agencies have them.......

Ours (my last uniformed agency) were VHS made by Kustom and interfaced with our RADAR units (Golden Eagles) and were either activated when we turned them on......or when the emergency lights were activated.......

Every Officer had tapes....and when the tape was filled, we turned them into me (I was evidence custodian) and we kept them for 120 days in the evidence room....then recycled them till they pooped out.......

Comment

Ours turn on either by activating lights or pushing the "record" button. We are in the process of going digital.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936
                Believe it or not, most police cars do NOT have dash cams. They are much more popular and are becoming more universal, but for many departments, they're a bit of luxury. My squad is only one in my agency that has one (I'm the test unit). Many departments reserve dash cams for speciality units like traffic enforcement crews.
                dumb question, but what exactly is traffic enforcement crews? like radar officers?
                We are Volunteers, we don't get paid for what we do
                But our hope and prayers are to always see you through
                We can be eating or awakened in the middle of the night
                With a blast of our pagers saying There is a Fire we need to fight!
                We are up and dressed and out the door
                We meet sirens blaring and trucks that roar
                The adrenaline pumping, were ready to go
                Will we make it home? We never know.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbernFireDept
                  dumb question, but what exactly is traffic enforcement crews? like radar officers?
                  Traffic units are those that do strictly traffic enforcement. This includes motor vehicle crashes, speed enforcement, and DUI's. It would probably be safe to say that the traffic cars need cameras specifically for DUI cases and the amount of public contact they have on traffic stops. That seems to be where the most complaints come from, when folks are getting tickets. Video evidence in DUI cases is also some of the best evidence one can have.
                  I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

In Saskatchewan, most Municipal Police Services (11 total, ranging from 1 to 400 members) and most RCMP Detachments (80+, ranging from 3 to 60+ members) do NOT have cameras in their vehicles.

Of those that do, most are the VHS variety, and can be manually engaged, or automatically when the emergency lights or remote microphone are turned on.

My patrol vehicle is having a new system, with removable DVD storage, installed this week. It apparently records, and dumps, continuously, but will save up to 3 minutes pre-event as soon as the emergency lights come on (like a PVR - TIVO), and has a totally wireless remote mic that recharges in a dock in the control unit.
                    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                    "Smile" - no!

Comment

I work for a large Colorado department and we do not have dashcams. I don't know if I want to have them.

Comment

Well, we do (10 sworn officers), but it's kind of random how good they are and what we'll have in a few months. Nothing has been upgraded unless it dies, so we all have different systems. We are supposed to be getting all new vehicles (all slightly used, that is) and I'm curious how the cameras will be done. If they just move my 8 mm camcorder over to the new car I might cry. We do have one car with a $2500 digital system just installed a few months ago. Hopefully, we will get the same system in all cars.
                        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by pressm4n
                          I work for a large Colorado department and we do not have dashcams. I don't know if I want to have them.
                          I hope you carry a microcassette recorder or digital recorder in your shirt pocket and record all your traffic stops. You just never know.
                          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I really need to do something like that. I have lots of friends that do carry a recorder and if someone gets weird they nonchalantly hit the record button. I have only gotten one traffic stop related complaint and that was because I yelled at a lady for getting out of her car after I told her to stay in.

Comment

our guys were kinda hesitant on the dash cams but believe me i know believe in them. saves from bogus i.a investigations and also court. we have digital and their set from the moment you turn on you lights to back up a certain amount of minutes and then starts recording

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4545 users online. 249 members and 4296 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X