Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Scooters: transportation solution or menace to society??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Scooters: transportation solution or menace to society??

So this past summer, all of a sudden electric scooters started appearing in the city in which I work. At first it was just a few; now hundreds are present. Companies like Lime and Bird have been dropping them faster than a sick gooses' butt.

My city doesn't have much as far as public transportation infrastructure is concerned. There is a bus system, which is often unreliable and violent. For that reason, hipsters love these scooters like groundhogs love sunshine.

But the problem is they weave in and out of traffic like a reckless game of Frogger. It's only a matter of time before someone gets flattened by a city bus, I fear. Also, riders randomly leave them everywhere- on the sidewalks, in parks, in streets, etc. Frankly they have become additional litter in streets and alleys already filled with broken vodka bottles and excrement left by the homeless. They seem to frequently get vandalized, and then completely abandoned.

I've read some cities have banned them, or put restrictions on the number and where they can be operated. My city doesn't seem particularly interested in enacting any rules regarding scooters, so anything goes.

Just curious if they've invaded your AORs, and if they've outworn their welcome as quickly too....

I used to be a banker but I lost interest.

-Steven Wright

Yep, pretty much the same here as you described. The company 'recommends' that people wear a helmet. We know that's not going to happen. Seems it's mostly college students using them. We do have a subway, decent bus system etc. It seems that they are mostly used for short distances. I've watched them weaving in and out of traffic. It's only a matter of time before some road rager loses it after sitting in gridlock. There haven't been any fatalities but def. quite a few have had to be transported to the hospital.
    I think it could be a good thing if people would use common courtesy and common sense. But that's probably not going to happen.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

They are a pain. Left all over sidewalks and running stops signs. I'm waiting on the first to get splattered from being stupid. I think the city passed an ordinance requiring a helmet but nobody enforces it and just wait for them to get hit and cite them then.
      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

• Zeitgeist
        Zeitgeist commented
        Editing a comment
        Doubt you'll have to wait long for one of them to get 'splattered' if the way they drive here is any indication. SMH

Gov Brown signed a bill that takes away the requirement for helmets over 18. We’ve had several major head and body trauma in SOCAL, and it’s moving north because all the ****heads out there think there is a need for this trash.

FYI: Bird scooters will dump hundreds on a city, in spite of regulations, then just walk away saying there is a market and they don’t care about restraining orders. I do know that several birds have ended up in the dumpster....or destroyed...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Bird scooters will dump hundreds on a city
        And then they keep on dumping them too. The batteries (from what I'm told) are worth about $50 so it's almost daily that I see one in an alley, wires hanging out and unusable after thieves busted out the battery. You'd think Bird would find another city, maybe a smaller one, that doesn't have the quite as bad a problem with property crime (where I'm at, thieves will bust out your car window if they see a couple bucks in loose change in the cupholder.) Bird doesn't seem deterred by the constant loss-- if anything, for every one that goes down, two new ones appear....
        I used to be a banker but I lost interest.

-Steven Wright

Comment

I’m hoping bird gets gutted and goes down the tubes. I’m glad to hear the scooters are getting jacked daily.

Comment

• Ratatatat
            Ratatatat commented
            Editing a comment
            They aren't expensive to make ($400?) and cost the operator a buck to unlock and fifteen cents per minute (or 9 bucks an hour). Will the constant nickel and dime revenue offset the cost of constant vandalism? I guess only time will tell...

I’m hoping that lawsuits and court rulings shut this toy crap down. It’s the same as when those toy motorbikes came out: stoopid.

Comment

They have become a horrible nuisance in California. So much so that scooter vigilantes in the Santa Monica/Venice area have taken to stealing and destroying them, then posting photos of their work on the internet. One particular picture was of scooters piled high like a stack of old Christmas trees, burnt to a crisp. Probably the most memorable photo was that of a scooter at Venice Beach, buried in the sand at the tide line up to the handlebars, with the ocean washing over it.

A unique theft problem has developed in San Francisco with the electric bicycles that has yet to spread to the Los Angeles area, but I'm waiting. Apparently the homeless are ripping out the batteries and billing mechanisms and simply taking the bikes as their own personal property.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

All Hail the Pyre. That's AWESOME! I would gladly contribute to the defense fund.

Comment

Sending them to a watery grave

bird_scooter.jpg

Or a Viking's send off

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYxPcUK1iaYC0-Pt9b9UepdPyEylC1wOGUjq7k5dOilv9loAda.jpg

I say we pay this guy's bail.

maxresdefault.jpg
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks L-1! I’m still laughing!

Comment

They're all recent to Nashville, TN and have been a complete menace. Juveniles are paying folks downtown to have them and they're being left all over the sidewalks. No one is riding them with helmets and they're on the sidewalks instead of on the street. I wouldn't want to ride them in the street either, but they're a total pain. I think two more scooter companies were just added downtown.
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8596 users online. 443 members and 8153 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X