300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight-fog light law

in florida is it legal to have more than 4 foward facing lights on the front of my car?

2 headlights and four foglights?

pic

In Michigan, those extra lights my be on the car, but may not be illuminated on a roadway.

Check your Florida motor vehicle code.
    Last edited by Sabre; 04-17-2007, 11:18 PM.

Comment

ive been looking for any laws and i couldnt find anything maybe im just looking in the wrong section or something

Comment

Not more than 4 lamps lighted on the front,

The 2006 Florida Statutes
        Title XXIII
        MOTOR VEHICLES
        Chapter 316
        STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
        View Entire Chapter

316.2396 Number of driving lamps required or permitted.--

(1) At all times specified in s. 316.217, at least two lighted lamps shall be displayed, one on each side at the front of every motor vehicle, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles.

(2) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlamps, as herein required, is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 76-31; s. 191, ch. 99-248.

Comment

so what kind of ticket would i get?

Comment

A non criminal traffic infraction punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in Chapter 318

Comment

Kind of a side note, often you see someone driving at night with both their headlights and fog lights on, and both headlights are working properly but one of the foglights is out. Can you stop for that or is only if one of the headlights is out?

Comment

1 head lamp. You're required to have a minimum of 2.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris
                  Kind of a side note, often you see someone driving at night with both their headlights and fog lights on, and both headlights are working properly but one of the foglights is out. Can you stop for that or is only if one of the headlights is out?
                  Technically, no. You are in compliance of the law with two working headlights. One on each side. The foglights are extras.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanG
                    Technically, no. You are in compliance of the law with two working headlights. One on each side. The foglights are extras.
                    Does Florida have a section of the MVC that states that any equipment on the car must be in working order? We have a section in Michigan like that. You don't have to have fog lights, but if the car is equipped with them they must be in working order.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                      Does Florida have a section of the MVC that states that any equipment on the car must be in working order? We have a section in Michigan like that. You don't have to have fog lights, but if the car is equipped with them they must be in working order.
                      You've made me look in the statute book for that one.

316.220 Headlamps on motor vehicles.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two headlamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which headlamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter, and shall show a white light. An object, material, or covering that alters the headlamp's light color may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a headlamp.

(2) Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in s. 316.217.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

316.610 Safety of vehicle; inspection.--It is a violation of this chapter for any person to drive or move, or for the owner or his or her duly authorized representative to cause or knowingly permit to be driven or moved, on any highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles which is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person or property, or which does not contain those parts or is not at all times equipped with such lamps and other equipment in proper condition and adjustment as required in this chapter, or which is equipped in any manner in violation of this chapter, or for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required under this chapter.

(1) Any police officer may at any time, upon reasonable cause to believe that a vehicle is unsafe or not equipped as required by law, or that its equipment is not in proper adjustment or repair, require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection and such test with reference thereto as may be appropriate.

(2) In the event the vehicle is found to be in unsafe condition or any required part or equipment is not present or is not in proper repair and adjustment, and the continued operation would probably present an unduly hazardous operating condition, the officer may require the vehicle to be immediately repaired or removed from use. However, if continuous operation would not present unduly hazardous operating conditions, that is, in the case of equipment defects such as tailpipes, mufflers, windshield wipers, marginally worn tires, the officer shall give written notice to require proper repair and adjustment of same within 48 hours, excluding Sunday.

The portion that is underlined is open for interpretation. The way I interpret it is - Fog lights are not specifically required under FL law, therefore since fog lights are extras, it is not a violation under this chapter. I relate this as to someone driving w/o turning his fog lights on at all. Am I right? Probably not, but I don't enforce it. Judges may go either way on this, but unless someone tells me otherwise, I choose to ignore it. Would you have enough PC to stop an SUV where his right and left brake lights were in proper working order, however, that little stop light in the middle, above the trunk was inoperable? Just a question. Not getting personal or anything.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post

We do, if you have any light on a car it must work.

Comment

Interesting...I'll have to talk to a State Attorney to see where they stand on this.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3938 users online. 199 members and 3739 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X