Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do if by a traffic stop, driver hands over wallet with license in it

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What would you do if by a traffic stop, driver hands over wallet with license in it

    I was discussing with a friend about what liability issues an officer would be worried about by a traffic stop, and we were wondering what would you do, if by a traffic stop when you ask for the drivers license, the driver would open the wallet to the license, and hand over their entire wallet. Would you take it, or would you ask him to take out his license because you would be worried about accusations of items missing from the wallet.
    Thankx

  • #2
    Ask them to take it out.....

    1. Liabilty about stuff inside of it.

    2. More importantly......the ablitity to make sure the DL is the real deal........

    Comment


    • #3
      i would request that they remove it from the wallet
      We ride for those who died!

      RIP SgtCHP!

      Comment


      • #4
        All too often the people that try to hand you the whole wallet are drunk to the point that they can't get it out themselves. I never take hold of the wallet and ask them to remove the license for themselves. I get a certain amount of pleasure from watching a drunk fumble with the contents of his wallet trying to find his DL when its the first card in plain view.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SRT936
          All too often the people that try to hand you the whole wallet are drunk to the point that they can't get it out themselves. I never take hold of the wallet and ask them to remove the license for themselves. I get a certain amount of pleasure from watching a drunk fumble with the contents of his wallet trying to find his DL when its the first card in plain view.
          My thoughts exactly,
          I got nothing for now

          Comment


          • #6
            Have the violator remove the DL from the wallet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PhilipCal
              Have the violator remove the DL from the wallet.

              Ditto.Never take a wallet with ID in it.Have them remove the ID.
              FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't touch it! Forget about the cash, etc in the wallet...I'm not going to have my hands and eyes occupied in the event they are needed to help the offender out of the car, prevent myself from getting hurt, or any other neccessary task.
                Don't fight to survive for you have already lost. Fight to WIN!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Could you take your license out for me please.
                  John 3:16

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    One of the first mistakes I made as a rook on one of my first traffic stops. Following the FTO's testimonial, I never did it again.
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Would you have the person hold the wallet outside the window while extracting the license, or would that be too much to ask?

                      I'd be afraid the person would bring the wallet back into their lap and then grab a weapon while trying to get their license out...
                      "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

                      "The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well you can't be paranoid in this job. There are inherent dangers in doing this job. I wouldnt take the wallet make the violator remove the D.L. If he takes the opotunity to go for a gun thats why I have my lighting stroke and he catches a whole clip full of hollow points.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          How much money does he have in the wallet, and how drunk is he?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LCPLPunk
                            Would you have the person hold the wallet outside the window while extracting the license, or would that be too much to ask?

                            I'd be afraid the person would bring the wallet back into their lap and then grab a weapon while trying to get their license out...

                            This happens a a few times every shift and no I would never ask a person to "extract" their license while holding it outside the window; however, thinking about it most hold it out the window anyways...

                            Wait until you are on the job and do as your FTO does!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ghurty
                              I was discussing with a friend about what liability issues an officer would be worried about by a traffic stop, and we were wondering what would you do, if by a traffic stop when you ask for the drivers license, the driver would open the wallet to the license, and hand over their entire wallet. Would you take it, or would you ask him to take out his license because you would be worried about accusations of items missing from the wallet.
                              Thankx
                              Why would this even be an issue? You said license, registration and proof of insurance, right? You're not asking for the wallet. That would be a bad move to take it, on camera at that. A simple, "Sir, that's not what I requested." or "Please remove your license and hand it to me." would work just fine IMO.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4637 users online. 281 members and 4356 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X