Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of State Plate = Car Impounded??? Is this true or BS?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of State Plate = Car Impounded??? Is this true or BS?

(TL/DR) Drive in FL with out of state plates for 6 months = car impounded??

Hi there,

I recently ran across a person at a car wash who noticed I had out of state plates in Florida and warned me to get them changed to FL plates asap or my car might get towed. His story sounds a little nuts but sort of believable, and I stay in FL for a month or two at a time on occasion, so I figured I would run his story by you guys, see if there's any truth to it.

This person said he was pulled over for having NY plates in Florida for longer than six months. When he asked the cop how he knew this, the cop said they have sensors on the FL state border that read plates that come in and out, and personally I have noticed some sensors at the border (at least on I-95). So he said the cop wrote him a ticket for no FL insurance (he had out state insurance), IMPOUNDED HIS CAR, and he had to get a Florida insurance/license/plates/registration before they would release his vehicle.

So basically, drive in FL with an out of state plates for 6 months = car impounded???? I know, sounds nuts.

This concerns me because twice I have transported my car back to my home state in a closed car carrier so as not to put on undue mileage (it's a collectible) so there's no way these supposed sensors could have read my plate to confirm that I left the state. I feel like there's a timer on my back or something lol.

I haven't found anything on the internet about this supposed law, but confirmation that this law doesn't exist would be a great relief, lol.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice.

People say all kinds of things to explain away their misfortunes. A guy told me once that his friend went to prison for having a single joint in his possession. No one in Ohio goes to jail -- let alone prison -- for a single joint. Your friend went to prison because he is a habitual offender who happened to have a joint (or a pound or two) on him at the time of his arrest. While a number of car wash employees may have experience with the criminal justice system, I would not take legal advice from them.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      People say all kinds of things to explain away their misfortunes. A guy told me once that his friend went to prison for having a single joint in his possession. No one in Ohio goes to jail -- let alone prison -- for a single joint. Your friend went to prison because he is a habitual offender who happened to have a joint (or a pound or two) on him at the time of his arrest. While a number of car wash employees may have experience with the criminal justice system, I would not take legal advice from them.
      Oh... kay? This isn't about joints or weed. This is also in Florida, not Ohio. Did you read the original message?

And the guy I talked to wasn't a car wash employee, he was a customer who looked to be in his 50s washing his car (late model Infinity) in the self-service stall.
      Last edited by MrMan666; 08-13-2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

It's called an analogy. It still applies.

Comment

Okay, thanks

Comment

While I don't work in FL, this sounds like total tinfoil-hat bunk to me.

Think of the practical ramifications of the 'sensor' story: You'd have to have some sort of license-plate-reader (LPR) device on EVERY road leading into the state, not to mention the ones that could come in via the ports. I don't see that as likely. You yourself provided a reasonable explanation as to how a non-FL vehicle could come into the state and and 'ping' such a system, then leave without activating it. How would you prove you did that if you were ticketed? I'm not buying it.

As for the insurance, I've never run across state-specific coverage. In my experience, the coverage goes with the vehicle regardless of location. But I'm no insurance expert.

IMO, this guy wasn't telling you the full story, much like in justjoe's example. Or he's simply a whack-job.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMan666 View Post

Hi there,

Oh... kay? This isn't about joints or weed. This is also in Florida, not Ohio. Did you read the original message?

And the guy I talked to wasn't a car wash employee, he was a customer who looked to be in his 50s washing his car (late model Infinity) in the self-service stall.
              Do you have problems with reading comprehension ? Let me TRY to break this down to show HOW the statement applies to YOUR question

People say all kinds of things to explain away their misfortunes.
              This statement tells you that most likely your friend at the car wash was "joshing" you or telling you an out right lie

A guy told me once that his friend went to prison for having a single joint in his possession.
              This statement gives you an example of someone who told another person about a situation that was blatantly FALSE

No one in Ohio goes to jail -- let alone prison -- for a single joint. Your friend went to prison because he is a habitual offender who happened to have a joint (or a pound or two) on him at the time of his arrest.
              This statement explains why the above FALSE statement is not believable. It gives a solid reason as to why the above statement doesn't make sense

While a number of car wash employees may have experience with the criminal justice system, I would not take legal advice from them.
              It doesn't matter if the guy was an employee or a customer of the car wash.............. Don't take legal advice some a stranger.

NOW to answer your question

There are no "sensors" that tell how long you have been in a state. That type of "big brother" crap is just talk.

Again ..............don't take legal advice from strangers

Originally posted by MrMan666 View Post
              I recently ran across a person at a car wash who noticed I had out of state plates in Florida and warned me to get them changed to FL plates asap or my car might get towed. His story sounds a little nuts but sort of believable, and I stay in FL for a month or two at a time on occasion, so I figured I would run his story by you guys, see if there's any truth to it.

This person said he was pulled over for having NY plates in Florida for longer than six months. When he asked the cop how he knew this, the cop said they have sensors on the FL state border that read plates that come in and out, and personally I have noticed some sensors at the border (at least on I-95). So he said the cop wrote him a ticket for no FL insurance (he had out state insurance), IMPOUNDED HIS CAR, and he had to get a Florida insurance/license/plates/registration before they would release his vehicle.

So basically, drive in FL with an out of state plates for 6 months = car impounded???? I know, sounds nuts.

This concerns me because twice I have transported my car back to my home state in a closed car carrier so as not to put on undue mileage (it's a collectible) so there's no way these supposed sensors could have read my plate to confirm that I left the state. I feel like there's a timer on my back or something lol.

I haven't found anything on the internet about this supposed law, but confirmation that this law doesn't exist would be a great relief, lol.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice.
              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-14-2018, 07:56 AM.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The "sensors" you were referring to are most likely LPR's, or license plate readers. Around these parts they do read plates but they hit on things like stolen vehicles, stolen tags, BOLO's etc.

If there is one thing I've learned in this job it's that people will say almost anything. My GUESS is that within the tinfoil hat wearers explanation there was some truth, such as he moved to Florida and allowed his tags to expire, become suspended, etc and they got hit on by an LPR which resulted in a stop.

Now, that being said, we often times would tell little white lies to protect information gathering sources. As an example, we stopped a car one day with a known problem drivers (suspended, wanted, etc) and he wanted to know how we knew it was him and where he was. Rather than tell him "oh you brother Jim Bob ratted you out" I pointed out an army helicopter that happened to be flying by and told him that it was equipped with LPRs and hit on his tags.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9043 users online. 324 members and 8719 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X