300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled over for tag light being out

Hi just a quick question -- how often would you pull a person over for the tag lamp being out? In our state, the plate needs to be visible from 50 feet -- but isn't that misleading since the plates reflect, you would be driving behind the vehicle in question with your headlights on so the plate would be visible via reflection? I just feel like this is a bush-league traffic stop. But wait -- it was at 1:30 a.m. so maybe the officer was hoping or assuming that there would be more to the stop, potentially? After the stop, the officer approached on the passenger side, which I found odd, yelling to open the window -- and when the driver reached over to open the window -- she screamed not to come closer -- the driver had to explain that the car has manual windows. And finally, after all of that, the driver was never asked for his license, registration or insurance. Anyway -- is the tag light stop something that happens often? A passenger approach (the street was very quiet with no traffic and adequate lighting)? Never asking for ID?

The driver in that incident was my son, and he had been arrested two months PRIOR on an incorrect charge for which I had to hire an outside lawyer to get corrected to the proper charge. The officer charged incorrectly and it went through the prosecutor and the public defender. The arresting officer used the wrong statute on the arrest, which made it a felony instead of a misdemeanor (marijuana). So in the tag light case, did the officer run his plate and see his prior charge? Thank you! I am trying to understand how all of this happened.

Originally posted by Lisad721 View Post
    how often would you pull a person over for the tag lamp being out?
    EVERY DAY and twice on Sunday

One of the best "PC" equipment violations out there.........

In our state, the plate needs to be visible from 50 feet -- but isn't that misleading since the plates reflect, you would be driving behind the vehicle in question with your headlights on so the plate would be visible via reflection?
    Doesn't matter. ALL LIGHTING is to be working
    The License Plate light wasn't working...................valiid stop and valid citation should the officer wish to cite

I just feel like this is a bush-league traffic stop.
    Based on what?............................... Your vast law enforcement experience

But wait -- it was at 1:30 a.m. so maybe the officer was hoping or assuming that there would be more to the stop, potentially
    Doesn't matter...........it's a valid reason for stopping a car

. Anyway -- is the tag light stop something that happens often? A passenger approach (the street was very quiet with no traffic and adequate lighting)? Never asking for ID?
    Yep...................valid stop

. So in the tag light case, did the officer run his plate and see his prior charge? Thank you! I am trying to understand how all of this happened.
    Nope.....................the plate light out is a valid stop and charge on its own

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So....your son is a crook, and we are supposed to what now?
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I'll pull for a tag light out if I see it and it's a slow day

Comment

Yes it is a good stop and gets done daily. You probably shouldn't automatically assume every word from your kid's mouth is true. If he is known doper he will draw attention and should get his vehicle in proper working condition and stop smoking and probably won't have issues.
          Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

wow -- thanks for all the responses -- New bulb in so we should be good to go. The information about the lack of request for the license or registration or insurance came from the write-up of the stop, not my son. Or rather, I should say, it was not mentioned that the officer did ask for it for identification, as opposed to the other incident with the incorrect charge. And before you start with the snide remarks, my son left his wallet in the house that night, so he had no identification on him. So the officer did not ask for his license because I'm sure she would have cited him for that as well, and he does not keep his registration or insurance card in the car. So he had no ID on him at all -- dumb move I know. So the officer saw the tag light out and ran his plate to find out whose car it was -- and figured she hit the jackpot -- especially since the arresting officer in the previous case was called out for his "mistake" when arresting him using the wrong statute. I'm sort of stunned that officers such as yourselves would be so sarcastic. I simply asked a few questions about a minor traffic stop. My grandfather was a retired police captain, and my uncle a detective.But you guys are something else. My first question -- and my last. One arrest for pot and someone is a "doper?" Wow. Glad none of you were ever young and stupid. I'll make sure when driving at night I pull over frequently and run around to the rear of my car to make sure that my tag light didn't burn out.

Comment

So...you always believe him over a cop? You think we are required to note everything we do on a cite? You think it’s a big conspiracy against your kid? You think this is the FIRST and only time your kid has broken the law with his dope arrest?

Take your mommy attitude and leave. Your son is old enough to defend himself. You don’t get to dictate the answers you receive on here. We’ve dealt with thousands of “my son...” issues and can see through the BS.

Your original post was more about bashing the Officer than trying to find information. It’s pretty obvious that a tail light out is a violation. I’m SURE the granddaughter of a “police captain” could figure that out.

Take your anti-cop bias somewhere else.

You can go now.

Comment

What was the "write up" of the stop you mentioned? Was there a "contact slip" or a warning or something else?

It's not uncommon to run a vehicles tag before making the stop. I personally like to know the history of the tag (i.e. is it stolen, linked to a violent crime, etc) before I make contact. This allows a better plan than just stopping it and hoping for the best.

Having run the tag might also be why the officer didn't ask for his ID, since at least here if he was the registered owner of the vehicle his info and picture will pop up.

It sounds like she did your son a solid and just told him to get the light fixed, not citing him for it. Sounds kinda nice to me.

Comment

wow -- thanks for all the responses -- New bulb in so we should be good to go. The information about the lack of request for the license or registration or insurance came from the write-up of the stop, not my son. Or rather, I should say, it was not mentioned that the officer did ask for it for identification, as opposed to the other incident with the incorrect charge. And before you start with the snide remarks, my son left his wallet in the house that night, so he had no identification on him. So the officer did not ask for his license because I'm sure she would have cited him for that as well, and he does not keep his registration or insurance card in the car. So he had no ID on him at all -- dumb move I know. So the officer saw the tag light out and ran his plate to find out whose car it was -- and figured she hit the jackpot -- especially since the arresting officer in the previous case was called out for his "mistake" when arresting him using the wrong statute. I'm sort of stunned that officers such as yourselves would be so sarcastic. I simply asked a few questions about a minor traffic stop. My grandfather was a retired police captain, and my uncle a detective.But you guys are something else. My first question -- and my last. One arrest for pot and someone is a "doper?" Wow. Glad none of you were ever young and stupid. I'll make sure when driving at night I pull over frequently and run around to the rear of my car to make sure that my tag light didn't burn out.
                  I guess he was pretty unlucky that he got caught on his one and only time he was near a drug

I guess this is why you should never break the law, yes most of us were young and stupid, but we also did not break the law, this is why we were able to get through screening and background checks to get the job.

It may be worth considering whether your son tells you everything, or just some of what happened.

As for the original post-
                  Q how often would you pull a person over for the tag lamp being out?
                  A as often as I see it and have time to intercept, your tax pay for police to detect offences and prosecute them, would you prefer me to be corrupt and not do the job YOU pay ME to do?

But wait -- it was at 1:30 a.m. so maybe the officer was hoping or assuming that there would be more to the stop, potentially?
                  -Police work 24 hours a day, do you want us to just let people off because of the time of day? Believe it or not many drug addicts are up and about at 1.30am driving vehicles and putting the public at risk

After the stop, the officer approached on the passenger side, which I found odd, yelling to open the window
                  -I approach the passenger side as often as possible, I have a family to support and don't go to work to get run over, if I can work safely I do. If the window is up the you have to yell, was the radio on?

(the street was very quiet with no traffic and adequate lighting)?
                  - did other vehicles have the ability to drive down the road? of course they did, the next vehicle could be the one that kills you

The driver in that incident was my son, and he had been arrested two months PRIOR on an incorrect charge for which I had to hire an outside lawyer to get corrected to the proper charge. The officer charged incorrectly and it went through the prosecutor and the public defender. The arresting officer used the wrong statute on the arrest, which made it a felony instead of a misdemeanor (marijuana).
                  - so he broke the law anyway?

So in the tag light case, did the officer run his plate and see his prior charge?
                  -Possibly, if he is innocent then he has nothing to worry about

Comment

"I am trying to understand how all of this happened"

Smoking marijuana, not maintaining his vehicle and not carrying the required paperwork. Is it really hard to understand? Expect more police contact with your son. In a few years he will probably post the same story on this site and ask if this will disqualify him from becoming a cop.

Comment

Like mother, like son...

Comment

So the officer saw the tag light out and ran his plate to find out whose car it was -- and figured she hit the jackpot --
                        I can promise you that there's not a cop anywhere who considers a simple possession of MJ charge the "jackpot".

Comment

To the OP...In 1977 my partner and I pulled over a car because the license plate light was out..Upon approaching the car we heard loud moaning coming from the trunk of the car. Turned out it was a kidnapped woman bound and gagged that had been kidnapped, raped and the two suspects in the car were taking her out to the desert to kill her....So that minor equipment violation saved a womans life and sent two criminals to prison..
                          Retired LASD

Comment

• CCCSD
                            CCCSD commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A perfect example of WHY we do police work.

Yeah...but did you call the suspects mommy?

Comment

• HI629
                            HI629 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Lucky not officer.com forum back then. Susptect’s momma may have gone online and bashed the two officers for doing their jobs!

good stop all night err night.
                          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11648 users online. 393 members and 11255 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X